Old 10-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

New 28RKSS Puma Travel Trailer - water on top of stove

We purchased the trailer about 10 days ago and had to driven to a storage lot (no truck yet). We've had 2 fairly decent rain storms and after each we've found water on the vent area at the back of the stove top.

The trailer has not been leveled but is only off level by a few degrees (I'm going to measure it later today). The 'kitchen side' of the trailer is higher than the 'couch side'.

After the first storm which happened the evening of delivery, I noted that the stove vent cover on the outside was cracked open just a bit and wrote off the issue as water forced into the vent when the dealer was doing the final wash. I mopped up a bit of water inside the vent exterior and closed the vent.

The day after I dried everything out, I verified that the stove was still dry.

After the 2nd, I verified that the outside vent was closed and there was no standing water behind the vent door.

Is this (pics of leak) considered expected behavior if the trailer is a bit off level? If so, how far is too far?

I got on the roof and looked can't see anything obviously broken but, then again, I'm new at this (see below).

I will have the dealer check the system when I take the trailer and truck in to have the sway/weight bar installed but wanted to gather information before I do that.

We've owned one (leaking) Class C but no other trailers so we're pretty clueless on a lot of details.

Thank you for any information you can provide.
dogugotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #2

Update: I was out at the trailer again yesterday and checked out the sealing around the stove vent. Turns out the vent has a cover that I thought was integrated with the side wall. Nope; it's just clicked into place. The actual vent is sealed but not the cover. Since the side wall has a 1.6 degree tilt (tilts / with left being the outside of the trailer and right being inside), I'm thinking that water is dripping under the cover, over the seal on the vent, then leaking into the vent via the gap around the vent flap. I'm going out today to test it with a glass of water. If water does find a way in, I'll add sealant to the top of the removable cover so water drains around the cover instead of into it.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

Yep, that was it

I pulled the press fit outer cover off the vent cover. There was a narrow flange sticking out of the trailer wall that was caulked.
I poured a small amount of water onto the side of the trailer just above the flange. The water dripped down the side, hit the flange, rolled over it, and then into the slit at the top of the vent cover flap.
If I'd dumped more water onto the side it would eventually have pooled and then dripped into the vent and onto the stove.
I added caulk to the vent flange, re-installed the cover, and caulked that on all 3 sides.
We had a good rainstorm today and the stove is totally dry.
The design seems off to me. The vent cover is clearly intended to be a press fit so you can pull it, open the vent flap, and access the fan. This design, however, has no method to shed water dripping down the camper side. I figure caulk is easy to remove if I ever need access and I prefer to limit leaks over ease of access.

Tags
puma, trailer, travel, travel trailer, water