Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
New Tt / Bad Roof

Our new 30WRLS Flagstaff arrived today from the factory. This model has the new 'V' nose. On one of the front edges was not installed correctly. There is a large bubble there. The dealership saw it and well as I. The dealership said they would fix or replace the whole according to Forest River Inc told them to do.

However, my wife says they should build a whole new trailer at the factory for us. Why should we pay that much for a blemish model? More that we should pick up an ordered car with a bad tranny? Or a house with miss matched shingles.

Your opinions: Send it back for replacement, repair / replace at dealership, or whole new trailer?

David & Sheila

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #2

You've got to do what makes you comfortable. I think a replacement roof would be in order. Less down time that way. A new trailer and you would likely miss the whole camping season for this year.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hmmmm. Tough one. I've seen some pretty shoddy dealer service dept work b4.

Do what your gut tells you.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I don't know, from the sound of it, the bubble is on the edge, which should mean just removing the trim, pulling the rubbber tight with some adhesive under it, rolling it out, reinstalling the trim and cutting the excess.... should be pretty simple. Exactly how big a bubble is it anyway... small bubbles or pockets at the edge aren't that uncommon but if the dealer is concerned I assume it is large. I think if everything else on the new trailer is perfect, I'd go for the repair. I'd sit down with the dealer and have them explain the options and assure you if they fix it it would be good as new. Your dealer sounds like he's on your side, which is good.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #5

I checked my V-lite after reading your post, and I can't see any problems with bubbles or delamination in the plastic roof or the fiberglass siding. Sorry to hear about your trailer having that problem. They should fix it ASAP or get you a new trailer !! The only problem we encountered was with the concertone 600 radio- Ther surround sound "A" channel quit working the FIRST DAY I took my unit home. They are supposed to be ordering me a new radio from the factory. I have my camper, and told them to let me know when it comes in !!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #6

I had a real problem with Forest River due to delam on the side of my new 8314ss camper, the camper was only 8 days old I picked it up from the dealer and took it right home to get it ready for our first camping trip. Forest River would not give me another new camper, they offered to repair it if I sent it back to there plant. At this time the paper work had not come back from the MVA, my tags where being transfered from my old camper that I sold out right to the new Rockwood. I called MVA and told them the problem I was having, at this point the paper work was stop, I called the dealer and told them what was going on, now they have to decide on what to do, A NEW CAMPER OR RETURN MY CHECK? well guess what? the camper was replaced. The camper that had the issue went back to the dealer and they sent it back to the plant of repair, that camper is now back on the road and was sold as new which is legal because it was never titled. I toke a pic of the VIN# of the first camper to make sure there was nothing funny going on. There where some mods I had made to the first camper that I left in when it went back, and I set up the one I have now just like it. I hope you get your problems corrected and stay on them, they don't have a problem taking your money!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collins delam 8.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collins delam 12.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	760  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #7

If everything else is OK I'd just get it fixed. I had a bubble near the edge of my roof of my previous TC and it was an easy repair. The shop removed the trim, rolled the roofing back, made sure it was dry (in my case it needed a day to air out as it was damp), then glued it, rolled it down, reattached the trim and recaulked the trim. Never had another problem with it.

I would, however, have them give me an additional discount for taking the 'blem' as you say.
Tekonsha P3
Equal-i-zer
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote