Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Outdoor kitchen leak Sunseeker 2860DS

Hello,

I have a 2017 Sunseeker 2860 that has the outdoor kitchen. Over the last two years we've noticed some mold buildup inside the cabinet and on the countertops when we first open it up in the spring. Recently we were camping and during a storm there was water leaking on the floor that seemed it was coming through the wall from the outdoor kitchen. After it quit raining I went and opened up the exterior door to the kitchen and the entire area was wet. The countertops were all soaked. Looking more closely I see this must have happened many times because the particle board under the countertop cover is swollen and distorted. I cannot tell any obvious issues with the seal that goes around the door.

Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you troubleshoot it?

It's a 2017 so I guess warranty is not an option.

My first thought was to take a hose to the side of the camper and see if I can figure anything out. Is it possible it's leaking from the roof instead of the exterior door? It was a lot of water.

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Brad
bcombs510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Leaks around exterior doors can be hard to spot, the best fix in my opinion, is to remove the door clean the sealant off and reseal/install the door.

it sounds like a pretty serious leak though, are you sure it isnt in the roof and running down the inside of a wall?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #3

Ugh, we have the same problem with our outdoor kitchen on our Forester 2861 DS. The winter we stored our RV it was extremely rainy that year. Of course we had a teeny, tiny hole in the Dicor up top on the roof which caused significant damage, and our outdoor kitchen needed to have the countertops replaced, there was so much water damage. It's so hard to keep that door sealed. I think we replaced some of that black rubber seal and used a silicone on the top of the door to caulk. Now we have our RV parked at our home and we are always monitoring it and have a heavy duty National Cover on it in the winter.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. The way I troubleshoot potential leaks in storage compartments is with a bright, 900 lumens, bicycle head light.

I turn on the light, set it in the middle of the compartment, close and lock the compartment, and then look for any light escaping. I wiggle and pull on the door to see if the door moving makes any difference. Waiting until it is dark makes it easier.

I've found bad door seals, and where storage compartments were pulling loose from the motor home wall, using the light test.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #5

We have the 2018 year and same model sun seeker and it leaked from new. The dealer did a repair and it still leaked. I removed the caulking and resealed behind the frame and recaulked with a butyl caulk like decor no sag. I then put a strip of stick on gutter material. It’s been fine ever since and that was 3 years ago. I had to replace the corner mounding at the ceiling as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4274900-0DAB-45A1-A990-F7078AF48748.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	260139  
Old 07-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #6

You might want to check the slam latches or regular latches. I tightened the latches and the door sealed and has been dry since the fix.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:43 PM   #7

I have the same problem on our 2861. I need to replace the counter and the bottom cabinet. How did you handle your issue? Thanks
mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, leak, outdoor kitchen, sunseeker