Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Trailer protection Enviroshield

I am in the process of purchasing a new trailer (Flagstaff) and the dealer is selling a trailer protection called Enviroshield. Suppose to seal and protect the exterior of the trailer. Has anyone had any experience with this? Just wondering if this is a good investment for the trailer. Dealer is also trying to sale me a extended warranty for 5 years on the trailer. Any input on this will also be appreciated.
PNG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #2

Let me guess, thousands of dollars and lots of fine print. Save you money on both accounts. You can maintain the exterior of your trailer by washing and waxing a couple times a year, maybe clean and seal the roof while you're at it. Just make sure you get on the roof a couple times and inspect all the caulking and sealants. A second year warranty direct from Forest River can be obtained for $150 here:
http://www.disruptiveweb.com/images/warranty_addon.pdf
Your dealer probably won't mention the FR extended warranty as they get a large cut ($$) by selling extended warranties from after market companies.

Enjoy your new Flagstaff.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Paint Protect Packages - worth the money?

Anyone out there with a paint protection package, such as Xzilon? Is it worth it or a waste of money?

You know the salesman want those bonuses!

I plan on buying a 35' 5th wheel and keeping it 10+ years.

They want to charge around $1800. Has anyone negotiated this down?
dont_like_to_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

In the words of Clark Howard - it's a big no-no, rip off! I wouldn't pay anywhere near $1800 to protect paint when soap/water and wax will do the same thing. Friends of ours bought all the expensive bells and whistles when they bought their Laredo - paint package protectant, black streak preventer, interior Scotchguard, etc. We weren't pressured into buying ANY extras by our FR dealer and did not. They have just as many black streaks as we do, and probably more. They store their TT away from home and aren't able to wash/wax it but once a year. I say stay away from any dealer add-on's and wash your TT often and wax twice a year.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

A number of years ago, new car dealers were selling a paint protectant called, I think, PolyGlycoat that they charged hundreds of dollars for. They touted it as a great protectant for the cars finish and you would never need to wax again. Well, after a number of years it turned out to be nothing more than a coat of wax that was applied by some teenagers that they hired for minimum wage to put on, let dry, and wipe off. A complete scam.

I think most of these are just money makers for the dealers.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Our Jayco Greyhawk and the Geaorgetown on order have the Diamond Shield polymer film on front areas and along doors and handle areas. The film should be more resistant to rocks and replaceable than paint product.
you can see it on the front hood area and doors when you stand to the side. It is a few mm thick and doesn't change color of underlying paint.
We didn't have it long enough to know if it discolored or faded in the heat.
I wouldn't pay extra for paint protection on my other cars either. Dealers love them too much.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #7

I hate to admit it but I purchased the protectant when we bought our HTT. I would not make that mistake again. I think it was about $500 and certainly wasted cash.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #8

Yes it's true, paint protection was a scam, and a bad one......aaaaand still being used today :-( if it sounds too good to be true ? We know the rest :-)
Norcal8312ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #9

Yes I second that motion, steer clear. Similar to the PermaPlate discussion on this board. My 2 cents :-)
Norcal8312ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #10

We just picked up our Motorhome and it did include the Diamond shield. I would not confuse it with a "special " paint but with its application on all frontal and high wear areas it does protect the vehicles surface.
It cost extra on our previous Jayco but was included on the Forest River unit. Yes I now the price was built in but I think I would have paid extra. It can be replaced much easier than a repainting and resists rocks and debris.
IMHO the Diamond Shield is worthwhile protection for an RV.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

It is a rip off still in use at most car dealerships under various names used to boost the profit. It is heavily touted especially when the deal was at, near, or under invoice as a way to put more profit in the deal. When I bought my DWs new LaCrosse Hybrid at $2000 under invoice (Invoice less incentives) they tried REALLY hard to get her to buy all kinds of extras.

You can buy the same type of "protection" (paint sealant) at the car store or online and put it on yourself.
Griot's Garage Paint Sealant, Auto Paint Sealant, Paint Sealer, Griots Garage Sealant
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #12

IMO these additional services such as paint protection, scotch guarding, extended warranties, nitrogen filled tires are all cash cows for the salesman. That's where the real profit margins lie.

Additioanl services and warranties offered by third parties are not likley worth the paper they're written on.

my 2 cents.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
IMO these additional services such as paint protection, scotch guarding, extended warranties, nitrogen filled tires are all cash cows for the salesman. That's where the real profit margins lie.

Additioanl services and warranties offered by third parties are not likley worth the paper they're written on.

my 2 cents.
No argument at all...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #14

It's almost as if these RV dealers studied the worst practices of car dealers in the 60's & 70's and decided that they'd work better in the RV marketplace.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_like_to_fly View Post
Anyone out there with a paint protection package, such as Xzilon? Is it worth it or a waste of money?
I bough the Xzilon on E-bay and did it myself, (mostly as an experiment) used it on our 2010 Kia Soul that we bought summer 2009, rain STILL beads up on the entire car EXCEPT the fender that was repainted this year from a lil fender bender, we purchased another car Jan 2010 and I have yet purchased any more Xzilon, however I WILL and this time enough to cover the trailer too! I think the stuff does protect paint for a couple years vs couple months of wax, however I doubt its worth the price most dealerships want to charge, if your a DIY'er then try it yourself for less than $100! I did, and would do it again! (for that price)

ps. I ordinarily wax my cars/trailer about two or three times a year (never waxed the Soul)
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon

my 2 cents.
One can always tell if a dealer trusts his product if Extended Warranty is included at no extra cost. Also if tires are Nitrogen Filled when new Keep them that way (tires will run cooler)
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #17

Trailers should be washed at least once a year but some of you guys don't seem to realize that there is owners who are unable to wash their trailers. Everybody to his own !! Of course trailers should never be pressure washed
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote