Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Palomino B1200 Roof Alignment

Hope someone here can help me. I have an older Palomino truck popup B-1200 and I guess just over time the top has gotten out of alignment. Does anyone know of a way to centre it back safely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_094111.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	83867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_094033.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	83868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150723_094055.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	83869  
RichardVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum.
Don't be to discouraged if you get very few replies, as there are very few truck camper owners on this forum.
Hopefully someone can help tho.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardVeazey View Post
Hope someone here can help me. I have an older Palomino truck popup B-1200 and I guess just over time the top has gotten out of alignment. Does anyone know of a way to centre it back safely

From what I can see,the entire roof rests CCW from where it belongs. I also note the four corner "dogs" are wasted oversize in pin openings and the pins look undersized. Normal wear and tear. If you can reestablish these fits with bushings and new pins it will go a long way it getting the watertight again. My experience from pop up trailers and ship hatches similar design.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

Thanks Turbs and Vince
Vince could you clarify a little on what you are calling "pins" and dogs and what I should do to may rotate it slightly clock wise
Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Turbs and Vince
Vince could you clarify a little on what you are calling "pins" and dogs and what I should do to may rotate it slightly clock wise
Sure the dogs Resort the former sheet metal brackets that have a claw on the top edge that mates with a socket in the top or lid. By pivoting the lever down against the PIN you apply a downward sealing force to the cover. I think the dogs are causing the skew. One way to check is to lower the roof to within 2" of the frame and block it. With two folks try to rotate to a true position. Align the hold down dogs and make adjustments as necessary to bring it down straight.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Sure the dogs Resort the former sheet metal brackets that have a claw on the top edge that mates with a socket in the top or lid. By pivoting the lever down against the PIN you apply a downward sealing force to the cover. I think the dogs are causing the skew. One way to check is to lower the roof to within 2" of the frame and block it. With two folks try to rotate to a true position. Align the hold down dogs and make adjustments as necessary to bring it down straight.
Here's a repic clearly showing a wasted pin and distorted bracket. That will not pull the lid straight down[ATTACH]83992]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437752883173.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	83992  
Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Thanks Vince
I'll give that a try
Question: If Under pressure I can get it straight but it goes askew again when I release it would you still recommend changing the dogs
Old 07-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Vince
I'll give that a try
Question: If Under pressure I can get it straight but it goes askew again when I release it would you still recommend changing the dogs
The catches if aligned and straight will help it pull down onto the gasket. You don't really care what happens once released again just as long as you can align it and pull it down straight again. Working from a kinda limited view here but you can tell when it's straight and the catches will hold them that way. I don't think you need to renew them all, maybe hard to locate anyway. What is the mechanism inside that lifts and holds the roof up? See any distortion in any of its framing? Looks to me like it would twist easily either way and lock down if pulled down straight. Only matters if its closed, when up alignment not critical. To answer your question if it twists when opened, hopefully you can return it to square and secure it that way.

Tags
alignment, palomino, roo, roof