Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
What I'm trying to protect from is the stink bugs and Chinese lady bugs from infesting it. I had a truck that sat unused for a couple months as the cold weather hit a couple years back. When I went to open the door to use it, the jams were solid with hundreds of stink bugs. They shove themselves into any crack or crevice. They get in behind the siding of the house, into the attic ridge vents and all winter they creep out of the recessed lighting and generally can't be stopped.

My goal is to lock it down and keep the insects sealed out.
I had an issue with "insects" one year. For some reason it appeared there was a "bug convention" in town that year and they were everywhere.

I bought a gallon of "Raid Bug Barrier" with a built in sprayer. Followed the instructions to spray everywhere the bugs might enter and it did exactly what it said it would. It created a "No Bug Zone" and that was the last of any infestation like that for several years.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #22

I live in NE Ohio and never do any of that except to winterize and put mice repellant like Fresh Cab all over inside. I did however put the stainless steel screens over my refer, heater, hot water heater panel openings, and bumper ends to keep bees ect out of those areas. The worst issues have been an occasional small wasp nest inside my A/C cover and Propane cover. Go for it if it makes you feel better though.

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins SRW
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #23

On the issue of a total RV cover, my reason for covering in the winter is it gives the rig 6 months less of UV ray exposure. UV rays are the enemy when it comes to rooftops and gelcoat siding.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
I was thinking about using duct tape and plastic to cover the furnace/fridge/water heater/AC/roof vents for the long winter slumber.

We have stink bugs and the lady bug looking things that invade everything during the fall and then live in any found shelter all winter. So my thought is that I can seal up the unit with plastic and 3M duct tape to prevent or limit entry of the insects.

Is there any argument against doing something like this? I do know that I will need to use WD-40 to clean off the residual adhesive in the spring. But I really think that keeping the pests out would be a good idea.

I've already soaked the entire camper down with TalStar Pro broad spectrum insecticide, so that means that in the spring I will need to scrub the white residue off of the paint and glass. This stuff is about the best killer of insects that I have found. If it creeps, crawls or flies.... it dies. I mix at 2oz per gallon. I also sprayed the underside to make sure any insects going for cover get dead.
I plan on sealing water heater and furnace vents, but if you do, don't use duct tape. It will be a lot of work to remove the adhesive come Spring time. Instead use gaffer's tape. (a gaffer is an electrical and lighting guy on a movie or TV set) This tape will remove much easier than duct tape since it's intended to be temporary whereas duct tape is usually permanent. It will cost more but it's worth it. Google is your friend for finding the best price.
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #25

(Sarcastically) I am sure the honeybees will be overjoyed with the insecticide.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter