Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

polish

OK I have read many forums about waxing gel coat . My local rv dealers say it's a big no no to wax gel coat ! I have a 2001 5th wheel and has light caulking . I have tried a spot with boat cleaner/wax and looks great but worried about waxing . I see many people say nu finish is great . Is this true I need your input please !
dirtydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydiesel View Post
OK I have read many forums about waxing gel coat . My local rv dealers say it's a big no no to wax gel coat ! I have a 2001 5th wheel and has light caulking . I have tried a spot with boat cleaner/wax and looks great but worried about waxing . I see many people say nu finish is great . Is this true I need your input please !
I use that good old stuff Turtle wax 2 x's per year, still looks like new and you can see yourself in the gloss. The paste of course. Easy to apply and take off. If you have caulking try 3m they make a great product that will clean and polish at the same time. I have never heard of not waxing gel coat. I had a boat that sat out in a marina and had to do it 4 x's a year. If you let it go to long you will end up having to use a compound cleaner and a buffer. Never heard of such a thing.

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I've never heard of this. I've waxed my campers and boats for years without a problem, in fact I insist that they ARE waxed to protect the finish.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #4

I have waxed for years also ! I guess question is do I wax or polish? And what's best ?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

I hand wash and wax 2 times a year without problems.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I have waxed for years also ! I guess question is do I wax or polish? And what's best ?
If you have chaulking, a light marine polish would be fine to remove it. I would follow up with a good wax to preserve the newly cleaned surface. Still don't know why dealer would say not to wax a gel coat.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #7

I asked another local dealer and they said they don't wax either because of swirl marks . Can I post a pic to my page like other people or I can't yet . Like your GMC PIC . Or if so how do I do it ?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
I asked another local dealer and they said they don't wax either because of swirl marks . Can I post a pic to my page like other people or I can't yet . Like your GMC PIC . Or if so how do I do it ?
The only way to get swirl marks is by a buffer. I do it by hand as I guess most people do, also 3m makes a product to remove them to.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #9

I use a RV wax that is made for the gelcoats. Bought some at Walmart but I am sure the RV dealer has some. The only time I can see not to wax is if gelcoat is already gone, then you would be waxing bare fiberglass which will leave swirl marks.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

I hate buffers I never use them and never will. Sounds stupid but this is my first fiberglass camper and don't know how good the gel coat is . I have owned many boats and "sided" campers.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone's input ! Really appreciate it . It's only 47° here today and I tried nu finish on a spot and it looks GREAT . Now just 32' 5th wheel all sides to do on a warm day .
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

Good old turtle past was seems to work just fine and I never use a buffer because its to easy to get a heat build up. Hand waxing is the way to go !
Waxing also helps with aero dynamics and sheds dirt , road debris etc.
makes next cleaning easier.

Brandon 2
2010 F-150 Platinum 5.4
Wildcat T 24 RG
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
Good old turtle past was seems to work just fine and I never use a buffer because its to easy to get a heat build up. Hand waxing is the way to go !
Waxing also helps with aero dynamics and sheds dirt , road debris etc.
makes next cleaning easier.

Brandon 2
2010 F-150 Platinum 5.4
Wildcat T 24 RG
x's 2 on turtle wax easy to put on and take off safe for decals which should be waxed anyway. I do mine 2x's per year, it still looks new like the day I bought it 2 years ago.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
WFD

Just picked up our new 5th last week with gelcoat finish...and spent a bit of time talking to the dealer about this very thing, as I like having a clean, shining trailer. Dealer assured me that there is absolutely no issue with waxing it and even said its too bad that not all owners see it the same way I do. So go for it....just be aware that its a fair bit of work and you may want to spread it over 2-3 days, especially since you want to be working in the shaded part of the trailer to make your job easier.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Just picked up our new 5th last week with gelcoat finish...and spent a bit of time talking to the dealer about this very thing, as I like having a clean, shining trailer. Dealer assured me that there is absolutely no issue with waxing it and even said its too bad that not all owners see it the same way I do. So go for it....just be aware that its a fair bit of work and you may want to spread it over 2-3 days, especially since you want to be working in the shaded part of the trailer to make your job easier.

Rick
Did you ever see a boat that sits in the sun daily? that gel coat is the same as is on a boat. If you let it go it will chalk up on you and then it's 10X's as hard to get the shine of a gel coat back. You are 100% correct...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #16

How often is everyone waxing ?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #17

I'm picking up my brand new 5er next week. Should I wax it when I get home or should I wait a couple of months?
flyboyerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyerv View Post
I'm picking up my brand new 5er next week. Should I wax it when I get home or should I wait a couple of months?
It shouldn't need to be wax. But you might want to do the cap, helps with the bugs. You will know when it needs it. I wax mine 2x's per year. I suggest you don't use a high speed buffer, by hand only. That is not a thick gel coat like a boat. might be 1/8" at best. Just keep it washed after every trip. Before winter put a coat on. Can use any wax that you like. If you keep your roof clean that will help with the streaking of gray or black running down. What you need to really do is to keep the roof back and front edge clean. They use that self leveling dicor and that holds dirt, it seems to have a dip at both ends that's where you get most of the streaks. I also found that any place the angle of the roof changes that so called gutter is not sealed, so that will cause a drip line of gray coming down. Buy some marine black streak remover, it will take it right off. At least that is what I do, ....... enjoy your new trailer.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #19
WFD

I have also used Nu Finish in the past....although it goes on easily and is easily removed/buffed out by hand...I did not find that it held up real well...looks great when your done, and for a short time after that, but this year I will look for a product that is more durable...I have always liked the Meguiars line....will probably look at that...there have been many positive posts in this forum about their product.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #20

Does anyone know if my 2014 Roo 183 has a "gel coat"? Sorry, I'm a Noob. Never had a boat, either.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote