Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Growing Older But Not Up

Possible roof rot

Is my camping experience over before it started 🥹 I was up on the roof taping around the skylight in the bathroom cause it had a slow drip the other day when it rained. Inspecting the left rear quarter of the roof there appears to be some soft spots under the rubber. What are my options moving forward? Do I cut the rubber off the roof and find out the extent of damage ? H2O has not intruded into the cabin, I assume the rubber roof is keeping it at bay. I need some suggestions 😒 we already have 2 trips booked and were hoping for more this summer
Stevej3658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej3658 View Post
Is my camping experience over before it started 🥹 I was up on the roof taping around the skylight in the bathroom cause it had a slow drip the other day when it rained. Inspecting the left rear quarter of the roof there appears to be some soft spots under the rubber. What are my options moving forward? Do I cut the rubber off the roof and find out the extent of damage ? H2O has not intruded into the cabin, I assume the rubber roof is keeping it at bay. I need some suggestions [emoji19] we already have 2 trips booked and were hoping for more this summer
Pictures both inside and out would be helpful. We don't know if your soft spots are at the base of a luggage rack, vent opening, etc.

You state there's no water damage in the coach, that is possible if the leak is new, but water damage is often hard to see until it gets really bad - ie is your wall paper bubbling, is the carpet or floor wet deep in the corner?

What's the history on your unit? New to you, previous leak fixes, etc?
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Growing Older But Not Up

One of the supports for the luggage rack is a bit loose, if I lightly press on the rubber roof around it I can hear crunching noises. Same around the skylight. No wet carpet in the cabin, slight bubble around the skylight inside the bathroom but not soft, I thought maybe it was from shower steam. New to me 2005 Sunseeker, Havnt been on our 1st outing yet
Old 05-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #4

Crunching is not good. However, without tearing up the whole roof, it'd be impossible to tell.
You probably should reinforce any seams on the roof and look for areas where water could get under that roof. Around the front cap would allow water to intrude and work it's way to the back. Skylights are also a source of water damage. Get some Eternabond tape and lap sealing compound for repairs. You want to prevent any future water intrusion and damage.

As long as you take preventative measures, you should be able to use the rig to camp this season and delay any major repairs. Many rigs have a bit of damage due to water intrusion, but it doesn't prevent it being used.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
Growing Older But Not Up

Yeah the entire 3/4 of the roof seems really solid. Seems to only be the left rear quarter, not even the entire rear, (what would that be 1/8 ?) starting at the bathroom skylight. What is under that rubber roof 3/4 in pressure treated plywood ?
Old 05-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej3658 View Post
Yeah the entire 3/4 of the roof seems really solid. Seems to only be the left rear quarter, not even the entire rear, (what would that be 1/8 ?) starting at the bathroom skylight. What is under that rubber roof 3/4 in pressure treated plywood ?
Just plywood of some type, dont think it's treated, over roof trusses, covered with epdm roofing on your unit.

Google rv roof repair there are many cross sectional pictures and videos of repairs of all kinds to different units.

Agree with Reverse Snowbird.

If your luggage rack attachments are loose, test all the screws, if loose back them out and insert toothpicks into the holes with Geocel rv caulk and try to put the screws back. Its a short term fix for this season, then monitor. Cover with dicor self leveling sealant.

Soak up any standing water, use a wet dry vacuum if needed.

In any event, get a dehumidifier in there and run it for a week or 2.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof