Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Preparing surface to apply Eternabond tape?

What should I do to prepare the surface before applying Eternabond tape on the front seam where the cap meets the rubber roof? Our Columbus is less than a year old but the roof has what appears to be some mildew on it. Looks like the roof material is starting to pull away a little in one spot from the strip over the seam.
10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #2

Not trying to be a smartass, but just follow the instructions on the package or the website. They also sell a specialized cleaner for Eternabond.

Some folks use acetone and like products. I washed the area thoroughly and used alchohol (which they don't recommend), but it has worked great for several years now.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not trying to be a smartass, but just follow the instructions on the package or the website. They also sell a specialized cleaner for Eternabond.

Some folks use acetone and like products. I washed the area thoroughly and used alchohol (which they don't recommend), but it has worked great for several years now.
I haven't ordered it yet and haven't used it before. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order something else with it. I like the alcohol idea. I'm cheap.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
I haven't ordered it yet and haven't used it before. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order something else with it. I like the alcohol idea. I'm cheap.
I understand the cheap part. On their website they sell the cleaner and also a roller. I just used my fingers and did it when it was warm.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Mineral spirits and then alcohol. Easy Peasy
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Like the previous post I used mineral spirits on the existing sealant and used the alcohol more where it would lay on the roof material.And also for going over the sealant after the spirits.My roof was real clean because I just washed it and checked it good.That's how I found my issue. The stuff works great, I did the front and back caps on my trailer Sat morning.After you put some down if you overlap I hit the top of the new tape with alcohol just in case and it stuck well.I had a small wooden wallpaper roller and used it a little in places but you can do alot by hand.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #7

I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self levelling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Attached Images

Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self levelling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Looks like a professional job. Hope mine looks that good when I finish.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I used Eternabond on the front seam of our TT. I cleaned the front roof seam with lacquer thinner and applied two 4" wide overlapping tapes and self-leveling caulking on the Eternabond edges.
Can you tell us what product you used for the "self-leveling caulking?"

I've heard so much about the Eternabond tape I'm sure someone has answered this along the way. But when applying it over previously applied "self-leveling caulking" isn't the surface uneven and bumpy? If so how does one get the E-B tape to adhere to every square inch of the previously applied caulk? Or isn't every square inch necessary?

BTW, my experience with Acetone is - its nasty stuff and can eat away of most any substance, if not applied correctly. I use it sparingly when necessary! And please use chemical resistant gloves!

Thanks -- I know I'm headed for this in the near future!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

IPA rubbing alcohol is available in many different concentrations (percentage) of alcohol... get the 90% or higher stuff as it evaporates faster... get it at any Walmart or dollar store

Eternabond tape adheres to every square inch of self-leveling caulk IF before you apply it, clean with mineral spiirits, then rubbing alcohol, then take a single edge razor blade and shave off really high spots of the caulk... this is actually fairly easy to do... then apply the Eternabond with your fingers first, pushing down on the surface, then rolling it with a roller... work with short pieces of the Eternabond maybe 2 or 3 feet and only peel back the backing 6 inches or so at a time... apply then peel off more backing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

I have utilized the Externabond tape and have used the Cofair tape as well both of them work extremely well in my opinion. I actually prefer the Cofair tape over the Externabond. I have used the Externabond cleaner and just 91% rubbing alcohol as well with great results from both.
With the Externabond cleaner be careful as it will take any paint or coloring off as well, the alcohol will not, plus the alcohol is safer to use.
I prefer the Dicor self leveling sealant on a flat surface or the non sagging on vertical or curved surfaces.
I have also found that a good heavy roller is needed when using the Externabond tape to make sure it is well adhered to the surface.
Sharpshooterspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooterspb View Post
I have utilized the Externabond tape and have used the Cofair tape as well both of them work extremely well in my opinion. I actually prefer the Cofair tape over the Externabond. I have used the Externabond cleaner and just 91% rubbing alcohol as well with great results from both.
With the Externabond cleaner be careful as it will take any paint or coloring off as well, the alcohol will not, plus the alcohol is safer to use.
I prefer the Dicor self leveling sealant on a flat surface or the non sagging on vertical or curved surfaces.
I have also found that a good heavy roller is needed when using the Externabond tape to make sure it is well adhered to the surface.
IPA rubbing alcohol is available in many different concentrations (percentage) of alcohol... get the 90% or higher stuff as it evaporates faster... get it at any Walmart or dollar store

[QUOTE=rsdata] Eternabond tape adheres to every square inch of self-leveling caulk IF before you apply it, clean with mineral spiirits, then rubbing alcohol, then take a single edge razor blade and shave off really high spots of the caulk... this is actually fairly easy to do... then apply the Eternabond with your fingers first, pushing down on the surface, then rolling it with a roller... work with short pieces of the Eternabond maybe 2 or 3 feet and only peel back the backing 6 inches or so at a time... apply then peel off more backing

Thank you ALL for some great suggestions and ideas on alternatives to Eternabond vs Cofair and cleaners for preparations. I think shaving the lumpy sealant first to create a smooth surface is a great idea.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #13

Eternabond

After applying the eternabond tape to several of my trailers it finally occurred to me to use a piece of duct tape at the end of the eternabond roll on the liner side folded to make a pull tab and it greatly eases my ability to separate the liner from the actual tape as I am applying it. Hope it may help others
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb1725 View Post
After applying the eternabond tape to several of my trailers it finally occurred to me to use a piece of duct tape at the end of the eternabond roll on the liner side folded to make a pull tab and it greatly eases my ability to separate the liner from the actual tape as I am applying it. Hope it may help others
This is a great tip - I'll do this next time I need to put down some tape.

Re what sealant I used with the Eternabond? I used Dicor self levelling.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

I removed all of the existing caulk before applying Eternabond. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the caulk. It will come off easier. I used a putty knife with dull edges to help peel the caulk off. Acetone, used sparingly, seemed to work pretty good to clean the roof.
Keep in mind that the Eternabond adhesive is pressure activated. The better job ,you do pressing / rolling it into place the better it will stick.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #16

I just replaced the sealant on the transparent cap over the shower with Eternabond tape and it worked really well. I was able to just peel off the old putty by hand, just rolling it with my fingers. Surprised how easily it came off. Another thing you can use to clean is rubber cement thinner. It is basically naphtha which is White Gas with a few additives. I used mainly Dawn soap and water and a little of the thinner for the final cleaning before the tape. So far, everything is sticking well. I did tighten the cap's screws down while I had the putty off (most had loosened). Also in my tape kit was an Eternabond sealer in a tube. Just used that around the edges of the tape.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #17

Etherbond

Use the Etherbond spray cleaner, leaves no film and preps area. No acetone, melts TPO roof material and drys it out!
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Use the Etherbond spray cleaner, leaves no film and preps area. No acetone, melts TPO roof material and drys it out!
The MSDS for Eternabond cleaning spray says it is almost entirely acetone.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #19

Just another opinion: The friend of mine who has an RV repair business taught me that before repairing any roof area wash with water and Dawn, allow to dry thoroughly then use "Denatured Alcohol" to clean roof material and Dicor sealant before using Eternabond tape. Denatured Alcohol is readily available at Lowe's, Home Depot, and ACE Hardware in my area.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #20

Doing my first Eternabond job now on my 17 Salem. Just scrubbed the roof last weekend and noticed some spots I don't like where the rear cap meets the roof. I've already done other self leveling repair on the front cap and had to install screws where the factory missed and also didn't get sunk into structure so they were backing out and poking holes through. How in the heck they inspected and prepared this for new delivery to me and missed this is beyond me.

Anyway, I've got the Eternabond cleaner and primer on the way and I bought 4" white tape.

Right now I don't believe I have any leaks, but if I don't do something soon it will. I just hate the way the self leveling stuff lumps up over time so I hope this tape is the ticket.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond