Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Preventative maintenance

Today, armed with tie wraps, T-9, lubriplate, liquid electrical tape,di-electric grease,wire harness loom,and some hose I attacked the under carriage of my brand new camper. (Cherokee 274RKS). I spent 9 hours, tie wrapping harness's up and out of the way. putting wire loom protector on any and all rub points. Liquid tape was used on all factory connectors.Especially on junction box where trailer harness from tow vehicle connects to trailer side of the harness. A few connectors I cut, soldered, and used shrink tubing on.Opened slide-out to gain access to grounds so I could protect them.The hitch end of the trailer was of particular concern to me.That part of the trailer has lots of brackets and braces built in. All the electrical harnesses and propane run thru that area. So, I removed the tanks to open up the area to work on. The amount of rub points on the propane line and electrical harnesses was surprising. I ran the propane hose thru hose at the rub-points, and used wire loom and hose on the electrical harnesses. When I went to re-install the propane tanks I found something that shocked me. The emergency brake cable for the trailer was actually pinned under the base plate for the propane tanks.It would have never worked.That was a little scary. It was an easy fix, just had to remove propane base plate to free up cable. Anyway to make a long story short, I was very surprised by the amount of wire harnesses that were clearly rubbing on something and if left untouched would have caused numerous headaches down the road. No lube of any kind on slide out gears. I don't know what to make of this. I mean 9 hours of my time fixing these things on a brand new trailer. That seems quite excessive to me. Is Forest Rivers quality control that poor????
I have 20 years experience in the automotive repair industry and 20 years experience in the marine repair industry as well
Old 03-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice work, been there done that

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Wow. I guess I have to add an inspection of the bottom of the trailer to my to-do list. Mine has the extreme weather package, so I don't know how much is accessible without removing the extra insulation underneath. First voyage is in April!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

Oh, I removed the "belly pan" wasn't too bad.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Platokidd.......so we're both crazy! Hahaha!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainperry View Post
Platokidd.......so we're both crazy! Hahaha!
Crazy maybe

Here is the propane line for the fridge on my door side slide out. Yep it was rubbing on the gear on the slide out. Bad enough its hangs right behind the tire. Just imagine having a blow out on the road and tire shrapnel beating on the gas line, DUMB!

The second pic was actually to show my dealer the ram of the slide out rubbing on the frame. (fixed under warranty)

Dealer said the gas line was not a issue. Really?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130925_174410_756.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	71972
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge slide ram 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	71975

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Crazy maybe

Here is the propane line for the fridge on my door side slide out. Yep it was rubbing on the gear on the slide out. Bad enough its hangs right behind the tire. Just imagine having a blow out on the road and tire shrapnel beating on the gas line, DUMB!

The second pic was actually to show my dealer the ram of the slide out rubbing on the frame. (fixed under warranty)

Dealer said the gas line was not a issue. Really?
Attachment 71972
Attachment 71975
Could use hose to play a tune.....little tight! Just like my heater ducting was,
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #8

Preventative maintenance

Platokidd...Thank God you found what you did,but to have the dealer insult your intelligence is unbelievable!!

Tags
maintenance, vent