Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #1

Putting Roof Cover on Without Getting on Roof

Hi:
I have a Class C 25 foot Forest River Solera 2014 which a friend got on the roof and put a roof cover on for me this winter. A few questions, as I am new to all of this by myself. Can I take the cover off by myself without getting on the roof? I also want to keep a roof cover on when I am not traveling to keep pine needles, sap, tree branches off when it is in my driveway. Is it feasible to do this by myself , or am I being totally crazy and need to ask for help? I would really like to avoid getting on the roof, as my RV does not have a ladder attached and getting on the roof scares me. Thank you in advance for any advise. Nancy
nkarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Nancy,

Been covering and uncovering my Class C for 12 seasons. Its necessary to be on the roof to take the cover off. Once, on a windy day, the cover billowed up and off the front end but I had to finish removing it up on the roof. There's too many roof protrusions for the cover to get hung up on to take it off from the ground.

After freeing the straps and buckles I find pushing the cover up from the rear over the top of the ladder to start is best. You will probably have to work one rear corner at a time up and over the rear, going back and forth until you can get it over the top of the ladder. Then, you can safely climb up the ladder to finish the job. I find pulling up the sides as you work your way to the front and rolling it forward to push it off the front works best. Don't worry about rolling it for storage up on the roof - you can do that on the ground.

Note - make sure your straps are completely free before going up on the roof. If the straps are loose but still under the rv the buckles can get hung up and stop you from pulling up the sides while on the roof. Make sense?

Be careful on the roof. Obviously there vent, shower, ac shrouds, antenna, satellite dome, you can trip over so go SLOW up there and watch where you put your feet.

Have a spotter on the ground or tell someone in the house to keep an eye on you. I have been doing this on my own for years but always tell my wife I am going on the roof right before doing it so she can watch me.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

If you anticipate covering and uncovering even somewhat frequently, you might be better off to invest in a RV carport to park it under. Covering and uncovering my TT is about an hour job for each task.
Not knowing how young you are, at my time in life, climbing ladders and walking on roofs is not my favorite thing to do.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Agree with the above irs not practical to cover the unit temporarily. Off season or extended periods of non use are another matter. Or, if I had a house to be painted and the rv was close, I'd take the time to cover it.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
D W

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Not practical to remove the cover from the ground. Too many things on the top side to catch the cover, and you won't be able to see what it's caught on. Covering and uncovering can be a daunting task. I only do each one time a year. I do know of some folks who are physically incapable of covering and uncovering, or have fear of ladders . They hire someone to do it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

Your crazy!!!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

My Brother and Sister in-laws cover and uncover there 25 ft Travel Trailer with long PVC tubes with foam on end. There is 2 of them. I have helped my Sister in-law do it. One person would be hard to start it over the back.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #8

RV cover

I have removed my cover on my 35 foot Puma and others i've owned from the ground. It takes 2 persons and 2, 1x2x8 wooden strips with tennis balls on the end which allows one to lift cover over protrusions.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

So I had a trailer that was about the size of a Class C and I used 10' Plastic PVC Pipe and a ladder. (you could as others substitute wood It helped to have another person with you, but I was able to put the cover over the AC & Antenna. It is dooable,
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
Tamarack Travels

I am 69 yo female. I own a 20 foot Salem CruiseLite. I use shade cloth to cover it. I am, with patience, able to put it on solo. Recently I began using a length of PVC pipe with the front end of the shade cloth attached. I get on a ladder go up 3 steps until I can just see the roof. I muscle the front end of the shade cloth onto the back end of the trailer. Then I move the ladder a few feet and muscle the cloth a little forward. Once I got it over the AC unit and TV antenna I found that grabbing the tie down ropes and pulling from the front got the shade into place. I am not a super woman and I get frustrated but it works. I have to cover it because I live in Phoenix. I cannot build a cover because of the angle at which I have to back up into my yard-the tail end of the trailer swings out far and my yard is not exceptionally long.
T508537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #11

I hate to admit it, but I've given up covering an RV. Last TT was 27' long and that is a lot of heavy cover to get up on the roof. I had one of those cyclone vents on the black roof vent. I built a box to cover it tied in 4 directions to keep it in place while dragging a cover over it. I spent most of a day getting everything just right and tensioned with a lot of straps under the belly tied or clipped together. Straps under the belly are a problem between leaf springs and tires.Then there is padding on anything that will poke through, including gutter ends, ends of the awning, anywhere there is a metal hole tie washer, that rubs from the wind and on and on. Then there is needles and bird poop to brush off the cover and make sure it is dry again before storing. In the last six years with blood pressure meds and etc. I'm not getting up on a roof watching my step 12+ feet over on a concrete driveway anymore.

Just not worth it anymore at 73, tough 6 years earlier, but your situation may be different.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #12

Bob2019,

I understand. 6 years younger than you, still able to handle to cover by myself but wonder for how long.

Yeah, the concrete is almost 17' below my head so I take it slow up there.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #13

Covering RV Solo

Thank you all so very much for all your input!! I am 68 female and after reading all the comments, it is clear, I can not do this by myself. I am going to check and see if I can possible find someone who will help me (they get on the roof). I may consider building a carport, but right now, I have lost my husband recently, so no major decisions to be made for a while. I may downsize to a class B at some point, but I really like my class C and I can drive it, dump it, and its paid for! Thank you again everyone. Nancy
nkarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #14

I also own a 2014 Solera and am a solo age 63 female. I bought a cover for it not long after I bought the rv new. I have never even unpacked the cover to this day. I feel it’s too much work and heavy to lift by myself to even bother. I am also concerned about strong winds damaging my full body paint job. I have the Adco windshield cover with the magnets inside. Strong winds damaged my paint on the door and I had it repainted. If anyone is looking for a cover- I have one available for sale.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #15

Any real movement of a RV cover will damage your paint. Anywhere a metal grommet washer can rub against anything, anywhere from the wind will damage paint. You have to have that cover snug perfectly, including straps and ropes that come in contact with the RV. Come spring, you will discover what you missed.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkarnes View Post
Thank you all so very much for all your input!! I am 68 female and after reading all the comments, it is clear, I can not do this by myself.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Putting a cover on an rv usually requires two people to do the job correctly. I'm certain that there are determined people out there who can do it on their own, but installation instructions that I"ve seen for rv covers usually recommend two people and a couple of ladders.

If all you're trying to do is keep tree sap, needles, etc. off the roof, you might be able to get someone to help you put a tarp over the rig and tie it down firmly. Depending on how close those trees are, you might be able to have someone help you tie a tarp from tree to tree. That way you'd have it covered without actually touching the roof of the rv.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #17

Even with two people, the job is a bit dangerous. Just being up there without a cover is a bit hazardous. But, moreover, it takes very little breeze to make a powerful sail out of the cover and if you are in the wrong place when the breeze moves it, ....... well you can imagine the rest.

In my case, I looked into the cost of a new roof membrane or a roof coating at about 10 years and decided that was a better alternative than a cover. I'm in the very potent California Central Valley sun and after 7 years, my EPDM is still in excellent condition so I'm thinking a coating at 10 years and maybe a new membrane 5 years after that ... if I still own the rig.

I wouldn't worry about tree sap, it won't be very visible and won't do any other harm. Now, pine cones .... they are a problem. Though they will damage the cover too.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roo, roof