Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
I had 2 inched of tree crap on the roof when I left Florida last year after 3 months under a tree. Quick hit with my leaf blower and it was pretty good. No trees where it stays at home. When I wash, I start in the front and work back to rear ladder. Would not want to walk on it when wet or with soap. Overall, it has treated me well after 4 years of outside use and storage.
Outstanding.

Unfortunately for whatever reason I don't think I am going to have the same results. ughh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201211_142410.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	244446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201211_142625.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	244447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201211_142451.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	244448  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #22

Wow, was the clean part hard to wash? That's really got alot of something on it. Good luck with it.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
Wow, was the clean part hard to wash? That's really got alot of something on it. Good luck with it.
Well it was as difficult as our last trailer which was rubber.
Which is why I was disappointed after hearing all the great reviews earlier this year about PVC roofs.

May take me a few days ughh.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #24

Just came across this thread and interestingly (to me anyway) I find myself feeling the same way as U.S.ArmyVeteran.

We have a 2020 Surveyor 252RBLE also with a PVC roof. Way too early to tell on the durability aspect. But not at all impressed with the cleanliness. Doesn't stay 'clean' nearly as long as our previous RV (non-PVC.)

Does wash up ok without a lot of hard effort, but curiously, seems to have a dirt 'haze' still visible even after cleaning. Almost like it's impregnated into the membrane somehow.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie37 View Post
Just came across this thread and interestingly (to me anyway) I find myself feeling the same way as U.S.ArmyVeteran.

We have a 2020 Surveyor 252RBLE also with a PVC roof. Way too early to tell on the durability aspect. But not at all impressed with the cleanliness. Doesn't stay 'clean' nearly as long as our previous RV (non-PVC.)

Does wash up ok without a lot of hard effort, but curiously, seems to have a dirt 'haze' still visible even after cleaning. Almost like it's impregnated into the membrane somehow.
There must be different PVC roofing being used by the manufacturers. Mine is very smooth and only needs light clean once or twice a year. Pictures are at least 6 months from last cleaning. Mine looks cleaner when dirty than my two last rvs with rubber roof looked after cleaning. I have to look into what manufacturers are using.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201211_123145.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	245837Click image for larger version

Name:	20201211_123148.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	245838

Old 01-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #26

[QUOTE=Jack350;2478614]There must be different PVC roofing being used by the manufacturers. ]/QUOTE]

I think you are probably correct. The difference between what you and several others are experiencing is quite different than ours.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #27

Quote:

Yes it was disappointing after hearing all the very positive reviews.

Such is life in the big city of RVs ughhh
Old 01-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #28

Because this is the kind of nerdy thing that makes me go down the rabbit hole a bit...did some sleuthing.

Not 100% certain, but it's possible that the PVC membrane is sourced from here - https://www.lasallebristol.com/xtrm-ply-pvc/. They do have the FR logo in their 'brag sheet' at the bottom of the page.

There is also a cleaning & repair .pdf link at the very bottom of the linked page. Worth a read - fairly educational. Most interesting (to me) is the list of recommended cleaners.

I do have some Murphy's here and tried some. Did seem to get a little bit more dirt off than I've been able to get from previous cleanings (Dawn one time, Simple Green another.) Still didn't get the 'deep' stains, but perhaps Tilex or Fantastik will hit those a little harder. Oddly enough, don't have either of those here at the house. Will grab one (or both) on my next run to the home store.

Unless of course someone else gives them a try first and reports results.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
Old 01-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #29

Did some looking. My Open Range has the Extreme Ply from the above link. That is the one that is easy to keep clean.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

Crazy how there seems to be no consistency in roofing material across FR brands. My Alpha Roof membrane, which according to their website is TPO, cleans nicely with Simple Green (tried to find Spic n Span, can't find it anywhere at normal local grocery stores, used it all the time growing up) and a soft scrub brush attached to a pole. It is also a little textured, so I don't feel like I'm slipping around up there. I wear boat shoes.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Because this is the kind of nerdy thing that makes me go down the rabbit hole a bit...did some sleuthing.

Not 100% certain, but it's possible that the PVC membrane is sourced from here - https://www.lasallebristol.com/xtrm-ply-pvc/. They do have the FR logo in their 'brag sheet' at the bottom of the page.

There is also a cleaning & repair .pdf link at the very bottom of the linked page. Worth a read - fairly educational. Most interesting (to me) is the list of recommended cleaners.

I do have some Murphy's here and tried some. Did seem to get a little bit more dirt off than I've been able to get from previous cleanings (Dawn one time, Simple Green another.) Still didn't get the 'deep' stains, but perhaps Tilex or Fantastik will hit those a little harder. Oddly enough, don't have either of those here at the house. Will grab one (or both) on my next run to the home store.

Unless of course someone else gives them a try first and reports results.
Great! Appreciate the effort.

I tried Murphy's and Dawn. Did not see any apparent difference. But that is me.
Having some physical limitation with my right shoulder. I turned my 12 foot A frame ladder around and it was much easier to push the long pole with the brush attached.

So, for you other old farts Know your physical limitations and accommodate.

Now I have to finish the other half. If the weather will cooperate.

Have fun!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #32

SoftScrub (non bleach) for the win for me! Took about 90 minutes after work today, by hand. On the roof, with just a rag and a light scrub, rinsing frequently. Some spot application on the more stubborn areas. Understand completely that this may not be a practical method for all.

Now looking as clean as Jack350's in post #17. Next is to see how long it lasts. No trees dropping sap, but in a bit of a windy area that's always throwing a layer of dirt on everything.

I'm losing daylight here so I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
Old 01-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #33

having an issue on our 2021 georgetown gt7 storage door where coach batteries are stored. It lets you use the key to lock it but you can still open the door. Any recommendations on this? We have not even taken it out yet. Just purchased in November
Char4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #34

I've blown well past OCD on this thread, but it's been a good diversion from the day to day work junk. Snapped a couple of pics today post SoftScrub.

2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
Old 01-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #35

Looks nice and clean. Why is the roof look so textured? Mine is all smooth. Do others have PVC roof like this? Now I am really wondering why these roofs are so different.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #36

Yeah, it's kind of odd. Membrane thickness maybe? Maybe a better grade of luan underneath? Ha. Who am I kidding. Does luan have a smooth & rough side?

Yours looks pretty smooth, while mine and USAV's are much more textured. Weird as it looks, it's 'on there' though.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33
Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #37

I just purchased a 2021 Heritage Glen 5'er and it looks exactly like the last pictures. Very "textured" look to it, but seems to almost be wrinkles. I've always had EPDM roofs until this one, and didn't know that we were getting a PVC roof. I really hope the maintenance and cleaning is as they say, but I'm not expecting much from the sounds of this discussion.
Dil_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #38
Trailer Park Supervisor

Man, you can EAT off that roof! Mine seems to be smoother too. I have Alpha TPO roof membrane.

Quote:
I've blown well past OCD on this thread, but it's been a good diversion from the day to day work junk. Snapped a couple of pics today post SoftScrub.

NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #39

Quote:

FWIW.

Our PVC roof looked like that when it was new. Well maybe not quite that "wrinkled".

After a few months it seemed to fix it self and it is now very smooth! And clean after I finished washing the other half.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #40

Haven't checked back in on this thread in a while - mostly because I'm horrible at actually logging in to the site and getting notifications about stuff.

Anyhow...I have the relative luxury of keeping the TT on property and can get up on the roof to look at things on a regular basis. The roof is still 'wrinkly' visually but is performing just fine. At this point I think I'll just be following the routine of inspecting regularly and touching up any suspect seams with Dicor, etc.

I will say that after my initial 'deep dive' with SoftScrub, it's much easier to keep clean. The roof still collects the usual junk you'd expect from keeping the unit outdoors. But now I can give it a pass with the same wand/brush I use to clean the rig in general.

Overall I'm kinda ok with PVC as a roof material. That being said, would like to see better information available for consumers/owners regarding PVC membranes in general. As opposed to the grassroots ad-hoc way things are happening now.
2023 nights camped - 28
2022 nights camped - 33

Tags
roo, roof