Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Now there is an accident waiting to happen . really to get adhesive off A heat Gun bad idea !
I have removed many decals from autos using this method.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #22

I've not had issues with a little mineral spirits on a rag. WD-40 works too. The mineral spirits is my go to, however Followed with soap and water
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #23

I have used all of the above to remove tape residue. The key is, they are all solvents and might remove any sealant/wax from the surface as well. So make sure you follow up with a sealant or wax of your choice but give plenty of time for the solvents to completely dry.

My solvent free trick if the glue is fresh and uncontaminated with dirt or solvents is to put masking tape around my hand backwards so the sticky side is out. Then rapidly pat the glue residue with the masking tape with some force and if the glue is not contaminated it should transfer to the masking tape. You can do this with any label you remove as long as it didn't leave paper behind. Pull the label and then use the same label to pat any left over glue residue. It too will transfer back to the label. If the label won't pick it back up. a piece of masking tape will. This method is way faster than solvent too provided it's fresh.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Won't that damage the finish?
WD 40 won't damage the finish just put a coat of wax on when you're done
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFla View Post
Believe it or not - PEANUT BUTTER. The oils in it soften the adhesive to the point it can then be wiped off. A little soap and water after that and you're done.
Peanut butter works great. Just don't use the chunky kind. Vegetable oil also works. If you have an auto body supply store near you, get a quart f PrepSol. That's what body shops use to remove oil, grease , wax and decal adhesive before painting.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
I had my trailer in for routine service and repair this week. I picked it up Thursday and discovered someone had taped the service number card to the front cap with packing tape instead of taping it to the LP gas tank cover. I raised a stink with the owner and he said it will wash off. Really!?!?

Besides never using that bunch ever again, how do you get this mess off of the front cap without damaging it or the finish? Any advice will be much appreciated.
It sucks but I would make them show me how so if they damage the finish it on them
graystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #27

Olive oil also works. (I’ve also had success with WD 40 which seems to multiply in my tool box.) You might also try kerosene (which may be known as lamp oil). It may take a bit of work with a cloth (not a paper towel which sticks to the glue).
Old 06-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #28

I’ve always had good luck with LPS1. Won’t damage plastic or paint.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
WD-40 and GooGone both work well. The absolute best is 3M Adhesive remover, at about $15 for a large spray can. This is the best for heavy tough glues, like used on tapes or decals.
X2
GDelage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #30

3M adhesive remover. I use that s@#% on everything.
GDelage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #31
Weekender

This is the best stuff for ANY adhesive/gum removal! I used it to remove the old graphics adhesive. Just spray it on and 30 seconds later, wipe the goo off! I had no idea that ghey made stuff like this. I am familiar with Goo Gone and this puts that stuff to shame. Smells good and ckeans up with soap and water. No damage to the finishes.Bought it on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220603_094946.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	274340  
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #32
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I've not had issues with a little mineral spirits on a rag. WD-40 works too. The mineral spirits is my go to, however Followed with soap and water
X2 - I regularly use mineral spirits (paint thinner), to remove adhesives. I've never had it remove the finish. If your're concerned, test it in a hidden location. Also, the quicker you remove the spirits, the less unwanted effects it would have.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:54 PM   #33

I have used disk brake cleaner to remove this gunk and also the silicone caulking that they use so much of to seal.....Just wash off with warm soapy quickly after removing the stuff!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
I have used disk brake cleaner to remove this gunk and also the silicone caulking that they use so much of to seal.....Just wash off with warm soapy quickly after removing the stuff!!!!!!!!!!
Brake cleaner is not at all recommended for any paint or fiberglass gel coat. It may work to remove glue but will harm the finish even if you can't see the damage. I use it to soften and remove powder coating commercially.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 AM   #35

Lighter fuel!

Lighter fuel is a good way to safely remove adhesive. Won’t harm the finish. Conservators even use it for that purpose.
Jake733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:08 AM   #36
"On the road again"

I have used Goo-Gone on our various RVs for years. Always works well and has never damaged the surface.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote