Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 333
Replace Factory Roof Dicor Sealant with Eternabond Tape?

While filling all the voids in the factory application of the Dicor sealant on the roof I got to thinking, is there a better way?

I researched and found out about Eternabond tape sealant. Can I use this to replace all the Dicor on the roof perimeters and vent/ac/antenna penetrations?

Thoughts or opinions welcome!
__________________

__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS Equalizer 4pt 10k
2018 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4 3.92 LSD
2017 Ram 1500 CC 3.6L 4x2 3.55
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,788
Eternalbond tape is fantastic. In my old TT I had a leak in front bedroom. Found the leak to be coming from where the front metal connected the roof membrane. Use the eternal bond tape on the whole seam. Worked great.
__________________

__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
I removed all vent covers, cleaned the dicor per the instructions from eternabond and then put 4" eternabond tape right over the top of the dicor. It's a lot of work (also not cheap) but I think it's worth it. Water now drains correctly into gutters and doesn't stream down my front cap or the back of the camper over the lights. My 5er was relatively new when I did this so the dicor was still pretty clean and in good condition. I also did the seam on the front and rear. I'll be doing the side seams, overlapping into the top of the gutters this summer. Here are a couple pics.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
Member
 
Kilday4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
I removed all vent covers, cleaned the dicor per the instructions from eternabond and then put 4" eternabond tape right over the top of the dicor. It's a lot of work (also not cheap) but I think it's worth it. Water now drains correctly into gutters and doesn't stream down my front cap or the back of the camper over the lights. My 5er was relatively new when I did this so the dicor was still pretty clean and in good condition. I also did the seam on the front and rear. I'll be doing the side seams, overlapping into the top of the gutters this summer. Here are a couple pics.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
Wow.......nice job. It has a nice clean look.
__________________
Mike & Kim Kilday
11' F250 6.7 SD
15' XLR 27HFS EP
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Thanks to this post I also was reminded that I have to do the 3 slide seams as well. My knees hurt just thinking about it. ;-)

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 333
Thanks for the responses!

jheacox1, looks great! So the instructions say to just clean and lay over the existing Dicor?

Would completely removing the Dicor and only using the tape be better? Probably alot more work i'd imagine.

Did you clean with Mineral Spirits?

Thanks
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS Equalizer 4pt 10k
2018 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4 3.92 LSD
2017 Ram 1500 CC 3.6L 4x2 3.55
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Thanks for the responses!

jheacox1, looks great! So the instructions say to just clean and lay over the existing Dicor?

Would completely removing the Dicor and only using the tape be better? Probably alot more work i'd imagine.

Did you clean with Mineral Spirits?

Thanks
Yes you can apply right over the existing sealant. Clean it then scour it and then clean it again (scouring pad provided leaves residue) before application. They give you a scouring pad and plastic pressure tool but I found my hands to be the best tool for that. They recommend using Eternaclean (which I used) or acetone for an EPDM rubber roof. I was very careful not to get any cleaner on the rubber roof.
Here's their website.
https://www.eternabond.com/

Ray from www.loveyourrv.com is where I got the idea. He has a video on it and his website is a great source of information on all things RV (specifically 5th wheels) related.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,519
install eternabond over existing dicor... removing Dicor not only a pain but you will probably compromise the roofing material... after cleaning with mineral spirits, I used isopropyl alcohol and scrubbed the area and left it dry an hour before installing eternabond. I did all my seams, front back and gutters and vents and skylights. I feel much better about it now that it is done.
__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 26
Hi! You did not install Eternabond around the air conditioning unit...is there a reason? Tks!
__________________
Grangalo
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W Diamond package.
grangalo1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
install eternabond over existing dicor... removing Dicor not only a pain but you will probably compromise the roofing material... after cleaning with mineral spirits, I used isopropyl alcohol and scrubbed the area and left it dry an hour before installing eternabond. I did all my seams, front back and gutters and vents and skylights. I feel much better about it now that it is done.
How was doing the long gutter seams? I would think it would be a little easier since there is no dicor to clean and scour.
What width of tape did you use?

I was totally pooped out (and lobsterized) after spending 3 days on the roof in the August sun doing everything else. I think I'll shoot for doing the gutters/slides in the early morning and evening this time. ;-)

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo1812 View Post
Hi! You did not install Eternabond around the air conditioning unit...is there a reason? Tks!
No eternabond around air conditioner. There is no dicor covered seam there just a gasket.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
hbdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 22
Great Job! Pictures really help.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,519
Quote:
How was doing the long gutter seams? I would think it would be a little easier since there is no dicor to clean and scour.
What width of tape did you use?
I bought some 2, 3 and 4 inch tape... I forget what I used where to tell you the truth...

Here is the write up I did last summer/fall
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html
__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I bought some 2, 3 and 4 inch tape... I forget what I used where to tell you the truth...

Here is the write up I did last summer/fall
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html
Thanks for the link to your post. I think I'll go with the 3" tape on the gutter seams.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The tape on the roof looks nice, but wanted to comment about using it around the gutter seams. I saw a 5th wheel a couple weeks ago that had taped the gutter seams all the way down the front cap and the rear walls. It looked terrible and I could only think that he must have had some major leaks. I doubt that the resale value would be much at all. I would suggest that before you tape the gutter seams maybe someone might be able to post some pics. Maybe there is a nice way to tape seams, but the one I saw I almost .
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
jheacox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
The tape on the roof looks nice, but wanted to comment about using it around the gutter seams. I saw a 5th wheel a couple weeks ago that had taped the gutter seams all the way down the front cap and the rear walls. It looked terrible and I could only think that he must have had some major leaks. I doubt that the resale value would be much at all. I would suggest that before you tape the gutter seams maybe someone might be able to post some pics. Maybe there is a nice way to tape seams, but the one I saw I almost .
Check out rsdata's post. His looks pretty good.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8281WS
2015 F250 Crew Cab
jheacox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 215
I used some eternabond, never again on a new trailer, maybe an old one I was fixing up. When I was ready to trade, the dealer saw the Eternabond and immediately asked what happened and what was it hiding. If you ever do have to replace those vents and such, good luck removing that EB.
__________________
Jim & Pam
Ram 2500, Crew Cab
2014 Hemisphere 327res
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheacox1 View Post
Check out rsdata's post. His looks pretty good.
Oh yeah. That looks 1000% better than the one I saw.
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
I used some eternabond, never again on a new trailer, maybe an old one I was fixing up. When I was ready to trade, the dealer saw the Eternabond and immediately asked what happened and what was it hiding. If you ever do have to replace those vents and such, good luck removing that EB.
I put Eternabond on my previous Roo's roof. I sold it privately and the buyer had no concerns because doing all the roof penetrations like jheacox1 did is obviously a preventative measure, not covering a problem. I suspect that dealer was just looking for an excuse to give you a lower trade-in value.

It's not cheap but it's very effective and long lasting.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: western ny
Posts: 51
Excellent job ; with the Eternabond, I to had installed it on a previous tt , should it ever stop snowing here in WNY and warm up it's first on my list for my newer 5er
__________________

tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eternabond, factory, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


×