Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #1

Replacing gutter spout

The cover on my camper was too tight in a corner and it distorted/unsealed one of the gutter spout extensions.

I have new spouts on the way. What sealant should be used when I put the new spout in.

Regular silicone?
Non leveling lap sealant?
Some other special sealant?

It looks like the old one has plain silicone on it
Sweedish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #2

NO to silicone.

Use what they use........Geocell Proflex

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

I bought the gocell proflex.

Already used silicone to make the old one work while the parts on order are enroute. From reading it sounds like that was a mistake. I guess I’ll have to do some scraping to get the silicone off
Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

Just to update for future readers. The Geocell proflex RV sealant was some good stuff, definitely the right product for the job. I pulled the old gutter spouts and cleaned up all the silicone sealant with a plastic scraper and mineral spirits which worked well. I noticed the silicone did not adhere well to the plastics. One clean I put a shot of geocell in the opening they’d put the new spout. I taped off the edges and caulked it in real nice. While I had a fresh tube I touched up any areas that looked thin on any of the outdoor accessories like speakers, railings etc.

Then I noticed the sealant where the rubber roof membrane folds under the gutter rail looked spotty and thin. I taped off the gutter and used some Dicor lap sealant to run a fresh bead. Looks great.

Just fyi for future readers, the geocell pro caulk specifically says not to use on rubber roof membranes.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
The cover on my camper was too tight in a corner and it distorted/unsealed one of the gutter spout extensions.

I have new spouts on the way. What sealant should be used when I put the new spout in.

Regular silicone?
Non leveling lap sealant?
Some other special sealant?

It looks like the old one has plain silicone on it
I use this instead of silicone. This stuff is great, far superior than silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clear-sashco-caulk-91310-64_1000.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	209257