Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

rockwood membrane torn, new camper, eternabond made it worse, now what

When i got my camper (2020 rockwood) it had a massive gap on the roof from where the trim meets the membrane. I did not notice this until i got up on the roof and noticed that some of the membrane was bumbling up and holding water. the first picture is after i removed the temporary eternabond fix to show you the gap i was talking about. i filled the gap with dicor and then covered the area with the tape. This was meant to be a temp fix because we had a hurricane about to dump a ton of rain on us. the second and third picture already showing due to the flex of the bubbling it has became to pull the dicor away and create holes. when i removed the dicor (all i used was a heat gun on low heat and my hand) it actually tore the membrane. you can see the metal in the first picture. I have since put new dicor on it because right now i do not know what to do. All this i believe has occurred because of the original installation defect from the factory. what now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62654565376__F71C3689-8D6A-4718-B308-EAE1C4A3DF38.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	242678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3252-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	242679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3253.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	242680   Click image for larger version

Name:	62654744421__67BCB8BF-68A8-492E-B08F-0B550FD445D9.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	242681  
oldschoolhdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Eternabond tape is to be used as a permanent fix. You wasted a lot of Dicor sealant by completely covering the Eternabond tape. FR uses Eternabond as the sealant on the top of slide-outs where the outside trim meets the roof. If applied according to instructions, Eternabond has a 10 year warranty, a lot longer than Dicor sealant.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

Curious that as a 2020 you didn't go back to dealer as a 1st action? I'd have thought this were warranty. Any time I've had to resort to eternabond, I've pre cleaned with alcohol well, then carefully applied the tape followed up with dicor around edges either self leveling or no sag depending on where the repair was
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

the eternabond did not cover that hole since you are not suppose to stretch it so i used the dicor also. i am not worried about the $10 tube of dicor. taking it to the dealer was not an option at the time. we had a hurricane coming the next day. i know that eternabond is suppose to be a permanant fix in most cases but this was far from a flat surface and because of the bubbles in the membrane i was woried about it not sticking 100%. i am taking it to the dealer but in the meantime it is suppose to rain and i cannot get it there until after thanksgiving. in hindsight i should have probably not used the eternabond tape but its is what i had at the time and water was going into that hole and started to bubble up the membrane from the plywood.
oldschoolhdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

Did you take pictures prior to your repair to document the issue?Reason being I hope dealer doesn't try to decline warrenty work because you attempted repair.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #6

Damaged Roof

I just got my Mirada back from the factory last month. I had a 16in crack in my roof membrane ( fiberglass) They replaced the WHOLE roof under warranty. I have no doubts that your issue will be taken care of. You will need to contact Forest River asap. Just tell them why you put all that sealant on the area. I was told to seal the crack so that more or any water damage would not happen. Sorry I don't have a good contact for you as mine was under Coachmen A class. They will take care of you. If you have a hard time getting contact info I do have someone at Coachmen warranty office that can help. Best of luck.
texasbozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, eternabond, rockwood