Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Roof & awning cleaning

Has anyone tried this product on their rubber roof & awning to take care of mold, mold spots and the like?

FrankinKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

I clean the underside of my awning with bleach & water. I put a little more than 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water in a pump sprayer. Spray down the underside of the awning and roll it up. Let it soak for 30 minutes or so and extend the awning. Most, if not all, of the mold and mildew is gone. Anything left is easily washed off. Rinse it down real good, let dry.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

I bought this last year to get my awning clean. I used it and was disappointed.....

However, I then cleaned my awning with Tilex, let it dry, and then sprayed it with Wet and Forget, and I've had much more success with it. Now, the awing rinses right off and looks great.

I think it's better at preventing the mold and mildew growth than removing it.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I bought this last year to get my awning clean. I used it and was disappointed.....

However, I then cleaned my awning with Tilex, let it dry, and then sprayed it with Wet and Forget, and I've had much more success with it. Now, the awing rinses right off and looks great.

Tilex has bleach in it. If you can soak down the underside with bleach and water mixture, then retract the awning while it's still wet, it'll do it's think killing off the mold and mildew. Cheaper too.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
Tilex has bleach in it. If you can soak down the underside with bleach and water mixture, then retract the awning while it's still wet, it'll do it's think killing off the mold and mildew. Cheaper too.
I understand. The success I've had with Wet and Forget is that after I sprayed with Tilex, dried it and then followed the instructions of the Wet and Forget, I can now simply rinse my awing off with just water for the rest of the season.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Quote:
I understand. The success I've had with Wet and Forget is that after I sprayed with Tilex, dried it and then followed the instructions of the Wet and Forget, I can now simply rinse my awing off with just water for the rest of the season.

Correct.
Wet & Forget is designed to be sprayed on and let nature do its thing over a period of time. As mentioned, you'll be disappointed if you think it will do a good of cleaning on the first use.

BUT... once the awning is clean... spraying it with W&F will keep it cleaner, longer and make subsequent clean-ups a breeze.

For cleaning I use two different things depending on whether the awning is dirty or mildewed. LA Awesome (Dollar Store) for dirt and Jomax (paint dept of big box stores) for mold/mildew.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Wet and forget

I also use the bleach-laundry soap solution to clean my awning and I've been using it on my rubber roof for 6 years or so. The bleach has not harmed my roof or awning. What I liked about the write up on the wet and forget is that it claims to control the mold and black spots for an extended period. I have not used this product yet. Was just wondering if anyone used it on the roof with no apparent problem.

Thanks for the responses!!

Frank
FrankinKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Handyman

I have been reluctant to use a bleach/water solution on my awning. I understand that the awning fabric should be OK, but the thread used to sew the awning concerns me. I don't want the awning to start coming apart.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, cleaning, roo, roof