Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

roof and gutter questions

replacing the gutter extensions. Best caulk to use? I think Dicor is the best to use. And should I caulk from end to end where the rubber goes behind the gutter. its a rubber roof. pic attached. any help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_193026.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	142428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_193106.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	142429  
hldurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Looks ugly! Clean with mineral spirits, maybe use a toothbrush. Dicor "no sag" works but is a pain to get a clean bead with...
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

I used Dicor no sag and it cracked. I used Pro-flex and it's been perfect since.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #4

As far as how much to use I just put it where I had to scrape it out of. For me that included a healthy dab underneath and all the way around on all sides.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Is that gutter glued on? Reason for asking is often screwed on. My gutter and trim piece is one piece. Section that is screwed on mine has a rubber cover.

On yours, I do not understand how it is held on until it is all adhesive. If so, I see why it came loose. I would caulk under the trim the entire length and a bead run the length on top. I would also caulk under the horizontal seem. If the trim piece has screws, reinstall the, and caulk over the heads of the screw. If screw is loose add one near the hole. You want that gutter tight against the wall.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

If his is like mine it wasn't screwed on. I think that's the reason for the healthy dab underneath. I guess It's also the reason I wouldn't use Dicor. My experience is that Dicor isn't good with structural strength.

Mine were fine with Dicor when I was towing short distance but taking it on a 6hour trip on the interstate the two on the front had a crack form underneath them (which was on its way to not being water tight). I used Pro-flex and it appears to be much stronger. I've been on a few trips and it's been perfect.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

the gutter is screwed on. I need to reseal the corner on top of the gutter where the rubber roof goes behind. they make 1 inch eternabond and was thinking of using that instead of caulking both sides of a 30 foot travel trailer. at suggestions. A small bead all the way from front to rear or use eternabond? the eternabond would be hard in my opinion to apply on a 90 degree corner.sticky stuff I hear.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldurham View Post
the gutter is screwed on. I need to reseal the corner on top of the gutter where the rubber roof goes behind. they make 1 inch eternabond and was thinking of using that instead of caulking both sides of a 30 foot travel trailer. at suggestions. A small bead all the way from front to rear or use eternabond? the eternabond would be hard in my opinion to apply on a 90 degree corner.sticky stuff I hear.
I haven't used Eternabond so I can't really speak to that but I would think that a sealant would be better for that application.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

the insert trim was folded at the end and screwed behind gutter. crazy idea but just ordered some gutter extensions so gonna put those on too. lots of work and dicor only way too prevent leaks.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I haven't used Eternabond so I can't really speak to that but I would think that a sealant would be better for that application.
would you use dicor on top of the gutter?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hldurham View Post
would you use dicor on top of the gutter?
Personally, I'd use Pro-flex on that. Much stronger. I've used both. And as long as there is no chance of movement the Dicor is fine. However, the gutters will likely be bumped on tree branches, pressure applied when putting on an RV cover, etc. My Dicor cracked after driving down the interstate for a few hours too (I assume it was the constant wind pressure trying to move them around some).

Dicor is fine on the sides of the camper around doors and windows, storage bays, vents, lights, etc.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Personally, I'd use Pro-flex on that. Much stronger. I've used both. And as long as there is no chance of movement the Dicor is fine. However, the gutters will likely be bumped on tree branches, pressure applied when putting on an RV cover, etc. My Dicor cracked after driving down the interstate for a few hours too (I assume it was the constant wind pressure trying to move them around some).

Dicor is fine on the sides of the camper around doors and windows, storage bays, vents, lights, etc.
as you can tell I am a rv rookie. Are there different types of Pro-Flex? is there one that can be used on rubber roofing?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #13

They don't recommend you use it on EDPM. It's fine on the plastic and metal you have there though.

They have different colors you can choose from but otherwise, it's all pretty much the same stuff.

This is the stuff I used: Geocel 28127V Pro Flex Bright White RV Flexible Sealant - 10 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAWQYY..._OfCuzbJ7DMFJ6

Dicor Non Leveling Non Sag Lap Sealant 551LSW https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCSR1G..._UgCuzbS3E6WR4

You'd only need the Dicor if you think the current stuff has failed.

Might not be a bad idea to have some anyway (even if you don't use it now).

Tags
roo, roof