Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #1

Roof concern?

So just looking over the roof on our 2021 wolf pup as I do occasionally. I noticed that along a stretch of one side it’s almost as if the white roof material (rubber?) is almost lifting/bubbling up? When I push down on it there’s a little bit of give as if a little air has made its way between the rubber and whatever is below it (guessing cheap plywood the way these things are made lol). Noticed it more with the warmer weather. There doesn’t seem to be any breach of the material, no holes or tears anywhere. It’s pretty minimal, attached a picture and circled the area, little difficult to see. Just wondering if I should keep an eye on it, or attempt to apply some sort of additional rubber roof coating to the area. Obviously want to avoid any sort of future water damage. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D843A194-CBDD-4FF4-B0C5-219CAD482B75.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	257429  
Outdoorliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #2

I have read on previous posts that slight bubbling of the ( probably TPO) rubber roof material is almost a given.

So far what you describe is nothing to worry about.

Sometimes roof sections coming unglued can be sever, as when negative air pressure at highway speeds lifts up whole sections of the roof in hot weather.

You can either keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get worse. or I would also think about getting some Eternabond Tape to apply across the width of the bubble overlapping at least a few inches side to side to help reinforce that area from coming up while driving. The tape will not re-glue the bad spot to the roof, but will give it more strength to resist lifting while traveling.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have read on previous posts that slight bubbling of the ( probably TPO) rubber roof material is almost a given.

So far what you describe is nothing to worry about.

Sometimes roof sections coming unglued can be sever, as when negative air pressure at highway speeds lifts up whole sections of the roof in hot weather.

You can either keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get worse. or I would also think about getting some Eternabond Tape to apply across the width of the bubble overlapping at least a few inches side to side to help reinforce that area from coming up while driving. The tape will not re-glue the bad spot to the roof, but will give it more strength to resist lifting while traveling.
Awesome thanks for the tip, just did a search for the tape. Certainly can’t hurt to have on hand.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the tip, just did a search for the tape. Certainly can’t hurt to have on hand.
I actually did a write-up on the use and application of Eternabond as preventive maintenance on the roof...

Instead of fooling with self-leveling Dicor and inspecting your roof quarterly putting new Dicor down do it once with Eternabond and inspect yearly cause the Eternabond does not have the shrinkage problems that a liquid sealant with solvent in it has.

if you are interested you can find it here

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #5

The edges of the roof will have tape under the membrane running that full length for an added layer of protection. This will usually be something like duct tape. It’s purpose is to simply keep the edge of the membrane from wearing through because it’s against that rough edge. So it’s very common to see some bubbling along there since the membrane won’t really be glued down along that tape seam.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I actually did a write-up on the use and application of Eternabond as preventive maintenance on the roof...

Instead of fooling with self-leveling Dicor and inspecting your roof quarterly putting new Dicor down do it once with Eternabond and inspect yearly cause the Eternabond does not have the shrinkage problems that a liquid sealant with solvent in it has.

if you are interested you can find it here

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html
Awesome, thanks I’ll take a look.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The edges of the roof will have tape under the membrane running that full length for an added layer of protection. This will usually be something like duct tape. It’s purpose is to simply keep the edge of the membrane from wearing through because it’s against that rough edge. So it’s very common to see some bubbling along there since the membrane won’t really be glued down along that tape seam.
Interesting that’s good to know! Thanks!
Old 06-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorliving View Post
So just looking over the roof on our 2021 wolf pup as I do occasionally. I noticed that along a stretch of one side it’s almost as if the white roof material (rubber?) is almost lifting/bubbling up? When I push down on it there’s a little bit of give as if a little air has made its way between the rubber and whatever is below it (guessing cheap plywood the way these things are made lol). Noticed it more with the warmer weather. There doesn’t seem to be any breach of the material, no holes or tears anywhere. It’s pretty minimal, attached a picture and circled the area, little difficult to see. Just wondering if I should keep an eye on it, or attempt to apply some sort of additional rubber roof coating to the area. Obviously want to avoid any sort of future water damage. Thanks!

My 2020 does the same thing. I have about 4 small bubbles on the roof when I checked it the other day. I contacted a reliable RV repair guy that I know and he says this is normal with rubber roofs. He said just keep an eye on it. I have eternabond tape in the trailer for my roof emergency needs

Tags
roo, roof