Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Roof construction

Hi,
I have a 1999 Forest River Flagstaff TT, 25' long. It has a bad roof so I am going to put a cover over it for the winter. Question is, does anyone know how this roof was designed in terms of aluminum beams? Can it handle the weight of heavy snow load if it is kept dry?
Thanks.
Pamrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Bad roof?
Heavy snow load?
What aluminum beams?

I think you just answered your own question...

I would have the trailer tipped side to side and front to back to shed as much snow and ice as possible.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

I would still clean it off.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamrv View Post
Hi,
I have a 1999 Forest River Flagstaff TT, 25' long. It has a bad roof so I am going to put a cover over it for the winter. Question is, does anyone know how this roof was designed in terms of aluminum beams? Can it handle the weight of heavy snow load if it is kept dry?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Bad roof?
Heavy snow load?
What aluminum beams?

I would have the trailer tipped side to side and front to back to shed as much snow and ice as possible.
I am not sure how you took this post to be snarky Pam, then again sometimes text without emotions can seem snarky, so how does this come across?

Heavy snow load?
What aluminum beams?

In other words if you have a bad roof already, heavy snow load is going to make it that much worse. How much? Depends on how much snow.

a 1999 TT (18 years old) was probably not designed with aluminum beams.

So, the point was "you are probably going to be in trouble"

The suggestion " would have the trailer tipped side to side and front to back to shed as much snow and ice as possible."

Is helpful - at least as much help as you can get: raise one axel up (maybe using boards or leveling blocks, and crank the tongue as low as it will go so it will create the biggest slope you can make so the snow & ice will (hopefully) slide off the roof.

Post #3 is more to the point and I would do this as well--here is a thought: Maybe get a gigantic tarp to cover your trailer and when you get some snow accumulation, pull the tarp to shed the snow and then reposition the tarp.

Hope this helped

Oh and welcome to the Forums!! Rockwood is a pretty darn good RV - we had a Rockwood 5th wheel and loved it!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamrv View Post
Hi,
Thanks.
First question is, how bad is the roof? Leaks but solid? Completely soft and rotted out? If it just leaks but is mostly solid (like you can walk on it without worry), you probably don't have much to worry about snow wise. It will hold. Just cover with with something waterproof. If it is so soft that you wouldn't walk on it, you have quite a project. I would probably build a system with boards going wall to wall and then plywood on top of that, then cover with tarp or something water proof.

Like the rest, it is doubtful there is aluminum in a 1999.

You want to open the real can? Ask what your should be towing your trailer with. I will save you time. Go buy anything Peterbilt branded with a 50,000 pound weight distributing hitch and you will be good.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #6

No aluminum roof supports, tilt the trailer and cover with a good tarp, when is snows sweep it off with a shop broom and fix or replace the roof in the summer good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

Give us a little more info and Im sure you will get better responses. What do you mean by bad? What is exactly wrong with it? Rubber gone? support material gone? can you see daylight? Does it already have water damage or damage that has a bearing on weight? Any pics?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof