Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Roof issue

2016 surveyor 291BHSS,purchased April 2016. I just happened to climb up on my roof today to wash it and this is what I found. I should mention I had the front cap replaced over this past winter at the dealership I purchased the travel trailer from. What is the best way and material to fix this? I really donít feel like going back to the dealership to fix this.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	178571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	178572
Nicholas69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

To me, it looks like this was a problem area for the dealer when they replaced the cap. Notice the double thickness of dicor compared to a small bead on the other end. So that tells me this gap existed during the repair. Also the roof membrane seems to not be adhered adjacent to this crack.

You can fix it yourself with a good cleaning and then the use of eternabond tape and dicor.

Personally, I would take it back to the dealer and contact FR with your concerns (crack forming and loose membrane after their repair). That way, if it continues to be a problem, you have some recourse.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

I agree, that looks like a sloppy fix, contacting FR is the way to go. The roof membrane is pulling away on the seam and there is no amount of dicor keeping that together, eternabond might. The dealer should have addressed this when they worked on the front cap. What worries me is what's under the roof membrane, how long has it been leaking, what's the condition of the plywood and how much water damage is in the ceiling.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #4

I will have to get ahold of the dealership and FR and see what when they can get me back in. The only problem I have is I have a trip planned for 7/19-7/23. Does anyone think a strip of dicor can hold until I get back? Thank you for your advice.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Your guess would be as good as mine. If the membrane starts lifting and catches the wind while driving all bets are off. Eternabond tape would at least keep it sealed but what if a claim is denied because of your own unauthorized 'repairs'. If this was my trailer I would call and email FR and the dealer and take notes incl. date, time, names and ask for email confirmations. Also, the folks at FR will probably ask whether you did regular inspections and maintenance. Unfortunately, this looks like it could become one of the more time consuming repair jobs, you want it done the proper way and you want to be able to trust the shop doing the work.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

I got ahold of the service department at my dealership and I am going to drop it off there this weekend and they said they will look at first thing Monday morning. I will be doing all the above mentioned stuff. Thanks again for the advice.

Tags
roo, roof