Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Roof leaking

2017 silverback 29 RE We have had this trailer for almost 2 years, all of a sudden we have a water leak. It is about 42 inches from the rear of the unit - water comes out of the plastic piece that connects the interior roof panels where that piece meets the molding between the roof and side wall. I have checked the roof and sealant for damage and do not see anything. I'm wondering if the a/c unit could have damaged the rubber roof under it somehow. Any suggestion would be helpful.
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
2017 silverback 29 RE We have had this trailer for almost 2 years, all of a sudden we have a water leak. It is about 42 inches from the rear of the unit - water comes out of the plastic piece that connects the interior roof panels where that piece meets the molding between the roof and side wall. I have checked the roof and sealant for damage and do not see anything. I'm wondering if the a/c unit could have damaged the rubber roof under it somehow. Any suggestion would be helpful.
I would check the seams where the roof meets the side and anything comes out. They usually start on the seams with some of the dicor coming off and/or the end caps pulling away. Water travels far so would not be suprised even if the leak is mid trailer that the endcap is the leaky point. Sometimes dicor comes loose by another seam as well so look closely.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
There was another thread on this today. That one had a missing screw on the drip rail.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

This is the exact issue I am having on my 2017 Cedar Creek 34RE. It runs out the end of the panel seal in side on the passengers side. We used plastic to cover different parts of the roof and taped it down. As soon as we covered the rear main AC it stopped leaking. The dealer has tired 3 times now to stop the leak by replacing the gasket. Still leaking. Dealer and I are both talking to Cedar Creek customer service trying to see what to try next. I would recommend you call them so they know. Our is not a big leak, just annoying drip so we roll up a towel and sit it on the slide trim so it catches the drip off the wall but the trailer is too new for that part to be leaking. Definitely not a seal/gasket the consumer can service.
- 2016 2nd half of year days camped = 34
- 2017 camped days = 38
- 2018 on track for 40 days camping
Kenstrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

KENSTRUCKS I contacted Cedar Creek on 2/6 the rep. told me that they did not have a tech on staff at that time to help. Did you find that the rain was coming in through the sides of the A/C unit or running down the roof and going under it? Thanks for any info .
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
KENSTRUCKS I contacted Cedar Creek on 2/6 the rep. told me that they did not have a tech on staff at that time to help. Did you find that the rain was coming in through the sides of the A/C unit or running down the roof and going under it? Thanks for any info .

What our dealer is telling me is the water is leaking through the gasket that the AC units sits over. I think the gasket (have not seen it or pictures yet, working on getting something) is where the duct from the AC unit connects to the ducting in the roof of the trailer. They indicated it was somehow leaking.

They replace the gasket and then water test it and all is well. But, as soon as I drive it home, about 20 miles, something is shacking lose and at the next rain it leaks again. Last time in Forest River told them they must apply caulking to keep it sealed since the unit will shake when towed. They did that this last time and it still is leaking.

Wondering what kind of a dam might be able to be built to make the water run around the hole area instead of puddling on it and leaking through.

Will let you know what we try next and if it works. Calling Forest River again today as they did not call me back yesterday afternoon as they said they would.
- 2017 camped days = 38
Old 02-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

The person I am talking to at Cedar Creek is Shawna Short at 260-593-4000 option 1 (owner). You can stay on hold for awhile so don't give up. Also note the leave a message option takes you to a mailbox for someone in their Cherokee brand so I would not leave a message there.
- 2017 camped days = 38

Tags
leak, roo, roof