Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2023, 07:20 PM   #1

Roof Leaking

Hello,
Forgive me please, if I am posting this in the wring place. This is my first post. A couple of years ago, my wife and I bought a 2010 Georgetown 57QS. Before the first rains (we live in SoCal) I went on the roof and for good measure, and added fresh Dicor to everything, just to make sure that we had no roof leaks. Everything was fine, until the latest few rounds of storms. Recently, after i noticed the leaking into the ceiling, I decided to use Eternabond on both sides, the front and rear caps, and all of the roof penetrations. I also tightened down both AC units, as I noticed the nuts were finger tight, inside the unit.
Well...you cannot believe the volume of water that s coming into my rig! Front to back, side to side. Much of the padded vinyl headliner is down. I keep squeezing and shop vac-ing the water out, and looking for the obvious point(s) of entry...but I cannot for the life of me figure out how all of this water keeps entering my rig. Ay thoughts or direction is well appreciated, in advance!

2010 Georgetown 357QS
Old 03-15-2023, 07:45 PM   #2

Recheck the air conditioner. When you tightened the bolts, make sure you didn't tighten them too tight. You just need to compress the gaskets. If you tightened them down all the way, that may cause leaks.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:48 PM   #3

I agree that you may have tightened the AC gaskets too tight.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:51 PM   #4

If you're not using them, you might want to tape a tarp around those air conditioners and see if that solves the problem.
Also, did you caulk around the marker lights?
That volume of water is usually from the vents or air conditioners.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #5

I found the source of the leak!!!

Hello Gurus!
The water is definitely coming in through the roof mounted air conditioners. A couple of days ago, during a dry spell (is this REALLY So Cal?), I tarp'd both the front and rear AC units. After yesterday's rains, I went into the RV and there was no more intrusion! I was so damn happy that I almost started crying!
Now, the big question: HOW DO I STOP THE RAIN FROM ENTERING THE INTERIOR OF THE RIG (without tarps)? I did notice that when I look into the AC units from INSIDE the rig, that I can see daylight. That can't be good, right? So prior to tarp-ing the AC units, I removed the cowls (damn, those things are BRITTLE), and I foil taped the spots that were allowing light through. Have any of you seen daylight when looking into the AC units from below/inside? By the way, the AC gaskets look soft and tall. I am certain that over tightened them, but have re-loosened the bolts and tried the "finger tight, plus a little more with a socket" technique. I did that, prior to adding tarps, and still had water coming in. Needless to say, I'm more than a little nervous about seeing if the foil tape did the trick. Any advice, at this point would be GREATLY appreciated. Is there a "factory method" of tightening those four clamp down bolts that squeeze the gasket?
Thanks again, for all of your help and insights. I really appreciate you guys!
Old 03-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #6

Hello!
Please see my update. The tarps did in fact, stop the problem. The big question of course: Now what!?

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #7

I (think) I found the source of the MASSIVE roof leak!

Hello Gurus!
The water is definitely coming in through the roof mounted air conditioners. A couple of days ago, during a dry spell (is this REALLY So Cal?), I tarp'd both the front and rear AC units. After yesterday's rains, I went into the RV and there was no more intrusion! I was so damn happy that I almost started crying!
Now, the big question: HOW DO I STOP THE RAIN FROM ENTERING THE INTERIOR OF THE RIG (without tarps)? I did notice that when I look into the AC units from INSIDE the rig, that I can see daylight. That can't be good, right? So prior to tarp-ing the AC units, I removed the cowls (damn, those things are BRITTLE), and I foil taped the spots that were allowing light through. Have any of you seen daylight when looking into the AC units from below/inside? By the way, the AC gaskets look soft and tall. I am certain that over tightened them, but have re-loosened the bolts and tried the "finger tight, plus a little more with a socket" technique. I did that, prior to adding tarps, and still had water coming in. Needless to say, I'm more than a little nervous about seeing if the foil tape did the trick. Any advice, at this point would be GREATLY appreciated. Is there a "factory method" of tightening those four clamp down bolts that squeeze the gasket?
Thanks again, for all of your help and insights. I really appreciate you guys!
Old 03-31-2023, 01:21 PM   #8

Not sure which A/C you have but . . . .
I had the same problem on my Rockwood just a year or two after I bought it. When I removed the plastic cover on the inside of the trailer I discovered that the screws that held the inside flange to the flange of the outside unit were so loose they were darn near falling off. They were not pulling the flanges tight to the roof/ceiling and creating a seal. Once I tightened them up nice and snug I never had a problem again.
It was as simple as that. Hope your solution is as easy. Good luck.

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof