Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #21

Quote:
This is what the majority (especially older) RV roofs use
You are right, there are multiple layers on a roof.

I guess what I should have said is that the outside of a"rubber" roof is white... underneath is whatever color...

It the white is gone then I would certainly have it professionally looked at and be prepared for an expensive re-roof fix.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Dawns1111,
I believe we are all agreeing here that what we are seeing from the photos you've posted is your roof seems to be beyond cleaning, recoating and repairing.

EDPM roof material needs regular maintenance and treatment and obviously this one had none.

Please seek more advice from someone who will come look at your roof and give you a professional opinion.

We are really just guessing since we can't be there to see it in person.

I would also suggest from what I can see, that you be prepared for replacement of the entire roof and slide roofs. I'd be afraid you are wasting any money you'd spend trying to clean/coat what is left of your existing roof membrane.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #23

I have an EPDM roof and itís white on top to reflect sun and probably more and then under that is the black rubber roof membrane. I do have insurance however only covers if some falls on it, wind damage etc. Iím attempting to clean the roof so I can recoat. I need it to adhere on smooth clean surface. Iím going with Daco mobile roof renew. Not sure yet if Iím doing it or mobile rv tech. It says diy but if a professional installs comes with 10-25 year warranty. Best thing out there I could find. Used a lot with commercial and big store. It works on all all roofs. And supposedly keeps ac 18-22 degrees cooler. If it works Iím considering taking their courses to become certified. I think it can help many people.

Am I good to keep going with the cleaning process or will I damage it more? Not all of the roof will be black when Iím done. (I donít think anyways) I test cleaned a non moldy spot and it just came to a cleaner white.

5 star forum💯🚃

Red blood matters unite as one
Dawns1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #24

A new roof is not an option and it recently started leaking. In April when we got it the roof looked good and the rv guy who came to inspect and apply dicor told me it needed a coating. I’m praying this kit works. I simply can’t afford a new roof. Long story short got in bad car accident about four years ago, lost job of 20 years, went to rehab and therapy for year, pulled second mortgage and used 15,000 savings. Had to sell my dream home that I was 2 weeks away from doing foster care for to keep siblings together. Up to 8 children. My dream goal since I was young. Now I have this RV that I thought was good condition and best floor plan I could find for under 20,000. I’m going to try to assist with mine and see if my body can handle. At this point I’ll deal with back pain and find something I enjoy doing.

I guess my worst case scenario is to tarp the full roof cut holes where required and seal Best I can. I’ll use portable ac unit. I’ll have to research that option more if it comes down to it.

I appreciate everyone’s help and feedback.

5 star forum💯🚃

Old 08-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #25

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I'm thinking you mean Gaco roof system (not Daco). There are several of these systems out there. Two of my friends chose CrazySeal system. I helped. It was a lot of up front work cleaning, taping, sealing. We removed the a/c to ensure a good seal (recommended in instructions). Replaced the gasket during reinstall. Total cost was right around $1000 for just the materials used.
Their roofs were in much better shape than yours, and the outcome looks good so far. The main thing is to get a clean surface so the product will stick.
Good luck and I wish you well.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #26

I recently dealt with an RV that had a roof like that. The white layer was cracked and flaking off in some spots and was completely off in a few areas. I purchased the Dicor roof coating system. It’s been on 2 months and looks great. You may want to try it before considering a new roof. I taped all the edges and seams with eternabond tape. Then I coated the worst areas with 1 coat and then put 2 coats on the entire camper. That way the bad areas had 3 coats. As of now, I’m very pleased with it. Was a little over $200 for 2 bottles of the prep and 2 gallons of the coating. Has to be all done in a single day. Amazon.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #27

Quote:
I taped all the edges and seams with eternabond tape. Then I coated the worst areas with 1 coat and then put 2 coats on the entire camper. That way the bad areas had 3 coats. As of now, Iím very pleased with it. Was a little over $200 for 2 bottles of the prep and 2 gallons of the coating. Has to be all done in a single day. Amazon.
that sounds like a workable solution to OP problems... what size roof did you do this to?

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-24-2020, 11:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
... I would want someone familiar with doing that work to look at it and pay them an hourly wage with you on a ladder looking after their work. ...

If they know what they're doing, watching over them while they work is just aggravating.

I sure wouldn't work for someone that needs to supervise. The joke is: auto repair $20 an hour, $40 if you watch, $100 an hour if you help.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:36 PM   #29

Thanks your everyone’s feedback. The recent tornado set me back a bit. So odd it came with 15-20 minutes of notice. Not often we get those. I’m used to hurricanes and having days to prepare. Yesterday to AC unit was causing a leak inside and before it only happened when it rained. So I did get up there and move the ac and clean under it the best I could. Vacuumed out behind coils and put a new seal. No AC leak today. Thank God it gets over 90 in the living room. For some reason I have 2 ac’s on roof but only one main blower in the bedroom. It has the small ducts throughout the 40 ft rv. I’m planning on adding some reflectix (not sure how to spell or if that’s the name. The silver stuff that looks like those bubbles we loved to pop as kids) and tape. Going to try closing off the part where you can open I’m bedroom to make it cooler and see if that helps. I had my seals done in April with dicor. Should I leave that or remove? All are still solid. I’m still researching videos but options liquid rubber roof (1 thick coat application), gaco roof coating or dicor. I prefer to go with longer lasting least maintenance. Plan to research if I can use dicor cleaning to prep roof and go from there. Hoping for good weather tomorrow. I want to wash and wax the exterior to help with the clean up after cleaning the roof. I’m thinking it should be much easier to clean exterior because the roof is so dirty. I’m going to research crazy seal.

Thank you all for your kindness.

5 star forum💯🚃

Old 08-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #30

Quote:
If they know what they're doing, watching over them while they work is just aggravating.
Your characterization of what I meant by watching over them is not what I was implying.

I guess it depends on how you do the watching... being busy doing chores in the yard while you keep an eye on the workers and observe their work habits, while getting on a step ladder occasionally to see "the progress" is a whole lot different then just hanging out watching for hours at a time. Offering a cold drink at intervals allows you to eyeball the work while supervising the overall quality of work.

That is just being a smart consumer, instead of being surprised at incorrect work when all is said and done.

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
leak, roo, roof