Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #1

Roof leaking with a tarp

Hello all,

I tried searching for my answers and I must not know how to correctly. It always routes me to the internet outside the forum. Still new and navigating.

My ceiling started leaking above slideout under the moulding. Then it runs across the plastic piece that seems to hold or cover up where the ceiling pieces meet. I’m not sure what they are called.

I’m the second owner and unsure of previous care of roof. From what I can tell it is an epdm roof as I can see some black in places. I’m looking for ideas on how to resolve. Also while up there I noticed odd cracking above the slide out. I can’t seem to find that people use products like dicor or rubber roof paint on them. I can’t imagine that people would get a nice clean roof and have dirty slide outs on the top.

I want to hire or attempt to do the full roof and slide outs. I have read many suggestions on YouTube. Nothing about tops of the slides.

How would someone living full time tackle this problem. The tarp isn’t working that well.

What’s the best cleaner for aged epdm roofs? I want to clean the roof before starting the sealing process. It’s filthy up there.
Is dicor the best for stopping leak and sealing roof?
I saw the crazy prep work and most said was not worth the time?

I have so much to learn in this area of rv life.

Thank you all for your time and support.
Dawns1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I see you have a Cedar Creek Cottage CFK in your profile. It's always good to put the model in the thread so people will know what you have.

A lot of people use Awesome cleaner to clean their roofs. The top of the slideouts are the same material as the roof.

It would also help us if you could post some pictures of where you have concerns.

Dicor is fine on the main roof, but I wouldn't use it on the slideout roof if you ever plan on bringing it in. Your best bet for it is Eternabond as it won't be sticky on the top.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #3

Thank you for tips. I will put type of RV in the future as I thought putting in profile it was seen. I live in rv full time and want the best roof and slide protection to best protect from water damage. Once I figure out how to add pics I’ll do that as well.

The only time I pull slides in is to prepare for hurricane. Would dicor work on slide outs if that’s the case? I have 3 and the guy is charging me 300$ to do them next week and $1000 to do the roof. Is that reasonable? Is there another method that works better? It seems costly and in a very much fixed income. I couldn’t find leak or tear when I tarped it. Just placed in over larger area where it was/is leaking inside when it rains.

Hoping if I can get roof clean that I’m able to locate leak. I’ll try awesome as I have seen many products can’t be used on epdm.

Thank you for your time.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawns1111 View Post
Thank you for tips. I will put type of RV in the future as I thought putting in profile it was seen. I live in rv full time and want the best roof and slide protection to best protect from water damage. Once I figure out how to add pics I’ll do that as well.

The only time I pull slides in is to prepare for hurricane. Would dicor work on slide outs if that’s the case? I have 3 and the guy is charging me 300$ to do them next week and $1000 to do the roof. Is that reasonable? Is there another method that works better? It seems costly and in a very much fixed income. I couldn’t find leak or tear when I tarped it. Just placed in over larger area where it was/is leaking inside when it rains.

Hoping if I can get roof clean that I’m able to locate leak. I’ll try awesome as I have seen many products can’t be used on epdm.

Thank you for your time.
Depends on how dirty and how much prep needs done before any of us could say $300 for the slides and $1k for the roof is too expensive. It sounds like it is but again, we can't see it or what prep needs done.

Coating over an improperly prepped roof is wasting money. Sometimes it needs cleaned and then caulked BEFORE roof coating.

As for putting your information in your profile, that is good but for it to be seen in every post you need to set up a signature that includes that information. Then everyone will see it with every post.

See my signature below↓↓

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Team

The problem with Dicor is that it never cures to a hard surface, so it stays flexible and a bit sticky. When you pull the slides in it will tend to stick to the seals and could create problems of the slide sticking or tearing the seal when you try to put it back out.

It will stay especially soft in Fla where you are and of course hurricane season is in summer so it's the hot part of the year.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

As was mentioned before, use Eternabond tape instead of Dicor... when applied properly it will keep out water for 10+ years, while Dicor needs maintenance ( at least a look see) every 6 months.

Who gave you a quote? Have you talked to any mobile RV Techs listed in the phone book or google on internet? I would want someone familiar with doing that work to look at it and pay them an hourly wage with you on a ladder looking after their work.

Buy Eternabond on amazon in 2, 4 or 6 inch widths.

eternabond video and info here
https://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/rv-rs.htm

I do not have a slide out but I did Eternabond to my roof a number of years ago.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #7

Got up on roof and took pics. Boy it’s super dirty

Hello,

Would I use the eternabond In rows and cover full slide outs? I called a few and went with the person who said they could make it out first and apply dicor. He was postponed twice once was a rainy day. I reached out to a guy on thumbtack as I don’t know many men and the ladies I know don’t want their nails dirty. He quoted $1400-1500 and uses commercial grade epdm called Lucas. Never heard of it. Has anyone else? I tested small area around ac with dawn and water and sponge. It seemed to be the worst spot. No one has seen the roof or pics. He typically does commercial roofing however says he has done rvs. Thought?

Also along the outer lining some of it feels like bubbles or lifted. It’s not a smooth surface. Do a also use eternabond tape around the perimeter and all things coming out of roof like ac and vents. Can I take that ugly antenna off safely?

I think the pics are
1 over view from distance. Doesn’t show the detail
2 Around ac
3 top of slide out
4 up close of ac after washing lightly with Dawn. I can actually see black rubber falling off
5 overview from distance of other end of rv

These could be mixed up.

Thank you. And yes I know it’s absolutely nasty. It’s only been sitting here since April. I only got up there once before and it barely had any discoloration. Could it be unleveled causing ponding? I have tried leveling it 3 times. I’m on a remotely flat service. I had a guy from one of those rental places bring a big machine that leveled prior to placing rv. Florida does have soft sand and I’m on it for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBAE1A4A-5A74-441F-95DF-5ECF5D11D436.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	236681   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEA6DB45-1969-43C1-ADA2-13AF9897DE4F.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	236682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B6B9D54-50A5-437A-85EE-AF673EC1CB8A.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	236683   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F2E69B9-FC32-4ACE-9E4F-89131E0A88CF.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	236684   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEE46E10-215B-4A8A-AB0C-4CDA8399C0B2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	236685  

Old 08-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #8

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your problem, but that coating looks like 'scale' to me.... either that or a powdery mildew. Are you camped under trees?
The mildest cleaner you could use would probably be the Original Murphy's Oil Soap. If it is scale or powdery mildew, the soap will kill it. Try a bit on a portion to see if it works before tackling the whole roof.
You need to clean it to see where the damage is happening, If you didn't have a problem, people might be right in saying that it's not worth the time to clean the roof.
You might check your local rv shop and see what they recommend for leaks. There are do it yourself products for almost anything including self-leveling spots on the roof.

If you want to spend the money, slide toppers will help keep that Florida rain from pounding the slide and causing leaks.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Unfortunately it looks like you need to have both roofs replaced. I don't think cleaning is going to work.

It may be best to get an rv inspector to look at it close up and see what they think.

I wouldn't try covering an entire roof with eternabond even the slideout roof. It's more for small patches or sealing seams.

Having said that, they do make 12" wide rolls of eternabond so you could buy 4 rolls and cover the entire slide roof.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #10

No trees. It from places holding water. Ponding I believe it’s called. If I scrub too hard I feel it will take the white stuff off. Can I use awesome on roof? Diluted? I used my dish sponge in one spot and the rubber was coming off. So I stopped.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #11

I agree with Bama Rambler. Your roof looks beyond cleaning/repair. For a new coating system to work, it has to have a clean, waterproof, solid base to start.
Call a professional. I would bet their advice is to remove the old roof, fix the decking, replace. I would use PVC.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #12

Has someone already attempted to clean it once? Its remarkable how clean the ac and vent covers are as well as the caulk around the skylight.

If not, I would consider trying to find someone to spend an hour trying to clean the worst spots. Sometimes it look much worse than it is.

I agree with others - I would not commit up front to over $1000 to attempt to clean and repair.

Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
What’s the best cleaner for aged epdm roofs? I want to clean the roof before starting the sealing process. It’s filthy up there.
Is dicor the best for stopping leak and sealing roof?
I saw the crazy prep work and most said was not worth the time?
WELL...

some questions for you might help...

1. You are not the first owner so how long have you been in that trailer?

2. Are you able and willing to get on the roof and try out some suggestions before relying on a hired help? That might even be just using a tall step ladder leaned against a side without having to actually stand on the roof.

3. I also live in a humid environment in the Ohio River valley and I can get something like what I see on your roof... a dried up algae growth. Is that what you believe is up there where you see the dark colored cracking with the white roof underneath?

IMHO... I would do the nest few steps.

First you will need to partially re-hydrate that old dried material in a series of steps to start to get it to loosen off the roof. Maybe wet the roof and put a small tarp over the wet part to keep it from evaporating. IN an hour or so, I would start with a soft bristle scrub brush, lots of water and LA Awesome cleaner from the dollar store, and see if when standing on a step ladder you can get most of that gunk removed from a section of the roof. Hard scrubbing would be bad and might cause a tear... lots of water over a long period of time to soften that crud must be made to do most of the work.

Report back.

A tear off and re-roof would cost you many thousands of dollars. You must start with a clean roof before trying either dicor or Eternabond for the leaks

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #14

Hello

We got it in April. The roof looked mostly white and solid. I had an rv guy come check it out and even though he said it looked good I had him put dicor sealant on. Also had him silicone all windows. I do think it’s baked on algae. For some reason it holds water on that one slide often and the ac caused the other algae. The ac leaks so much. Is that normal? Yes I’ll get up there and test awesome. I can walk on the roof it’s solid. I avoid stepping where seams are. The previous owner had it under trees and the roof looked great. I purchased several items already from dollar store but haven’t used any yet. So much info online and I’m terrified to make it worse. I’m going to wait for sun to go down before going up there. Do I dilute the awesome? How long can it be on the epdm? I’ll test on the slideout.

Thank you all

Really hoping to save the roof
Old 08-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
So much info online and I’m terrified to make it worse. I’m going to wait for sun to go down before going up there. Do I dilute the awesome? How long can it be on the epdm? I’ll test on the slideout.
The epdm is not good with petroleum products, but is good with everything else. Awesome is just glorified soap, so it is good to keep the dried algae soaking and should help it pull off the roof. Awesome come in qt spray bottles and 1/2 gallon refill jugs.

Quote:
For some reason it holds water on that one slide often and the ac caused the other algae. The ac leaks so much. Is that normal?
Are you saying that the AC puts water condensate onto the roof, as opposed to leaking inside?

Yes this is normal in high humidity environments. Lots of moisture being pulled out of the inside of the trailer. An idea would be to put in a de-humidifier in the trailer to pull out moisture and let that drain into a sink or bathroom drain. About $150... Or when on the roof see if you can identify where the AC condensate accumulates in the AC unit and see if you might be able to attach a small hose to drain the water off the edge. You will probably have to take off the AC shroud to be able to do this... not difficult.

In addition to the soft scrub brush I suggestted I might also use a BBQ grill scrubber, that Scotch-brite material with a handle might also help you loosen that dried on crud.

I suspect that the "crud" is a combination of organic material like leaves, pollen, mold, dust and dirt along with algae that has gotten wet and then dried on the roof surface. That stuff gets hard like a rock.

Another possibility would be to rent or buy one of those electric pressure washers... not too powerful. Looking I like this one from Home Depot, and it gets good reviews. THis might cut down on the elbow grease needed. Just DON"T BE TOO aggressive for fear of tearing the roof. Use one of the fan spray nozzles and spray close to horizontal ( parallel) to the roof structure. Il ike the one below from HomeDepot... not too powerful
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pressure washer.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	236718  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #16

Hello

Yes the ac ponds water on roof but that is separate from leak. It only leaks inside when it rains. I use a dehumidifier everyday. I’m going to get a power washer. Either the one you suggested or the Ryobi cordless. I’m going to take cover off ac and take a look there and will get it to drain off roof. I’m going to attempt to blow air up the exhaust fan hole and spray Dawn everywhere on roof and see if I can see bubbles. I have one of those inflatable bounce houses for the kids. Hoping that’s enough pressure. I didn’t get to it yesterday because I finished deck and was exhausted. Feeling the pain today. This is a great forum and thankful for all input.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Hello so I was able to get on roof and work on a few small areas. I see the black rubber and want to make sure that’s okay before I keep going. These are the updated pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2A331F8-6CF7-4F71-A3CD-723C730FC338.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	236843   Click image for larger version

Name:	8016C7DB-486F-4C9B-A6F8-1C951A10FC88.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	236844   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BA52CC3-760B-46E5-81E0-4714E5D3C7B9.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	236845  

5 star forum💯🚃

Red blood matters unite as one
Old 08-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #18

This does not look good. It appears all the white layer of the roofing is gone in some areas, down to the black bottom layer.
I do believe you need to contact an RV professional for advice. Or perhaps call your insurance just on the chance the roof might be covered.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #19

Every roof I have seen is white.
If, from the inside, you take off the molding around a vent fan, you can see what the roof should look like. Watch this video and about the one minute mark he will show you how to determine the roof type and what it looks like.
https://youtu.be/f5KraEQifpo

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Every roof I have seen is white.
If, from the inside, you take off the molding around a vent fan, you can see what the roof should look like. Watch this video and about the one minute mark he will show you how to determine the roof type and what it looks like.
https://youtu.be/f5KraEQifpo
And how many roofs have you looked at? This is what the majority (especially older) RV roofs use (with pics): https://flairdistribution.com/produc...AaApY0EALw_wcB

Tags
leak, roo, roof