Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

Roof Maintenance

I'm not sure if I'm in right location but here goes. As a camper we are responsible for inspecting our camper every 90 days or so. I'm checking every time I walk past it. But anyway I crawled on my roof to put that rv UV ray protection stuff when I noticed the seals and seam with the dicor from factory is starting to crack. Its three years old well taken care of and stored under shelter. Beside the point. If I buy more of dicor can I put it on top of already existing or do I have to remove that layer in order to start a new seal? What is the best solution? Thanks for any input.

Tim Coltrain in NC
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

Just clean and apply Eternabond tape. Problem solved forever. Stuff is great!
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Repair

The tape will not work. Its on the cap and there is a bead of dicor. I just got to see if I have to work to remove it or run a new bead on top of it.

Tim Coltrain
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #4

No you don’t have to remove self leveling caulk just clean it and add more . Unlike silicon it will stick to itself. However the tape is great stuff I taped over all my roof edges and seams .the caulk needs to be checked every year and always has places it needs gone over where the tape has a 20 year life.I put it all the way around my roof and around everything on the roof, vent , skylight etc. except the ac units . It’s a little pricey but in the long run saves time and money . That’s my 2 cents
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

Agree with Sfgoble you can fill in your cracks with self leveling dicor just make sure the aurface is clean before you apply. and whatever you do. Dont use silicone.
Shorefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

What do you guys clean with before applying more DiCor? I've taken a small brush and lightly clean the surface with denatured alcohol.
DSchenk952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

I clean the roof with roof cleaner I ordered off amazon I think it was starbrite brand . Alcohol will be fine for spot cleaning before recaulking .
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof