Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Roof Pimples

2012 Coachman Apex. I call these roof pimples because they are smaller than the forum pictures I see of roof bubbles. Not sure of my roof material. The roof covering is adhered to the roof deck. So, not a separation between roof deck and roof material. Small pimples or air bubbles in top layer of roof material. Mashes flat with finger. Been reading this forum for 5+ years and don't recall seeing this issue. Any thoughts? Thanks for ALL the GREAT advice that has been shared!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8532.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	244100  
scottwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

If your roof surface has a texture to it it's most likely TPO.

"Pimples" like these are much like blisters in paint where moisture was trapped beneath the outer surface and substrate. TPO can have a polyester fleece backing to help glue it to a variety of materials. It's possible that somewhere along the line from manufacture, storage, shipping, installation, to now, moisture has gotten into the product and sunlight/heat has caused these blisters. If the roof isn't leaking I'd leave it alone.

Only cures I know of would be a) total roof replacement; b) pop each blister, inject some adhesive, roll flat, then cover with a roof coating that would stick to the TPO (which is difficult for many coatings and sealers).

Don't know how long the roof warranty is for but worth checking on. Often it's the longest warranty on RV items.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

I have a 2014 Forest River Sierra and DICOR THE Company that distributes this roof material and Carlisle the company that manufactures the EDPM that does this , gave me a check for 2700$ and all material to do the roof. After 5 years this campaign is up because they say it’s only aesthetic and does not interfere with the integrity of the roof. They said it’s “out gassing” of the material used to seal the 2 layers together. I will tell you this , it does continue to get worse , the whole roof , the white material , will eventually look like elephant skin. We did not replace our roof. It’s holding up well. My wonderful wife spent the $. [emoji849]. The cost is still about 2500$ more for labor. If I keep the RV and all the blisters pop I will eventually get the roof painted for 800$.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

assuming quick83 has the answer, I personally would do nothing other than to keep an eye on it. You are approaching the standard 10 year warrantee on a roof material failure, and unless it starts leaking I would bet they would not yet call that a failure. Possibly any warranty is pro-rated anyway. Besides you would have to find original paperwork to ID the manufacturer of the roofing material and deal with them as I doubt seriously that FR will do anything after 8-9 years.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Again. Prob not gonna be an issue for us until we go to sell. [emoji849]. I’m 100% sure mine is EDPM. 95% sure yours is too.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof