Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Roof repair

It looks like the bracket holding the front cap is lifting due to heat. It has popped up on the left side. Fortunately I have no leak yet and would like to fix. I went to the purchasing dealer and showed them pics of problems and they said it was normal maintenance and all I had to do was re-screw the area and apply self level sealeant over the repair. The quest I have is: What is the thickness I’m working with for screwing? It looks like the screw that is thawed has broken. I would hate to have a screw wind up puncturing the inside. Also can I use a small metal roofing screw or what screw is suggested?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71F3ED97-0BFB-45F2-926F-3A6EDBB87649.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	175756   Click image for larger version

Name:	9CE18589-39EA-417E-AA59-14AF3D695B88.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	175757  
melle002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

After you pull it apart you should be able to see how long the screws are. The dealer is correct in my opinion. It is pretty normal maintenance.

A scraper and a screwdriver is all the tools you should need.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

scrape off that goop and apply Eternabond tape and forget about it...

I would bet it would never pull apart again, missing screw or not...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

You guys and your Eternabond.. you'd think it solves for world hunger or something. If it's so much better then why haven't the manufacturers used it on everything in the first place?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You guys and your Eternabond.. you'd think it solves for world hunger or something. If it's so much better then why haven't the manufacturers used it on everything in the first place?
Because it costs more than cheap caulk.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

But if the claims are true.. then there would also be less return visits, warranty repairs, higher customer satisfaction, etc.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

To choose an appropriate screw length, you can remove one of the other screws in the strap. But if you want a little longer screw you can get a rough estimate of the overall thickness of you roof by measuring the thickness at one of the crank up roof vents. If you are really energetic, you can remove the vent's inside bezel for a little more accurate measurement.
As for the type of screw, whenever I replace any hardware I use stainless steel.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks to all. Just checking to see if anyone knew off hand the size. Trying to save a little time. The old screw is broke. Didn’t really want to go deeper to the next but definitely will look at roof vent for rough estimate.
melle002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
If it's so much better then why haven't the manufacturers used it on everything in the first place?
Because if you don't inspect and fix caulk problems every 90 days as stated in the warranty then any roof repairs can be denied because you have no paperwork showing you did the required maintenance...

Have you actually used Eternabond to see it's benefits?

some quotes I picked up using search...

Quote:
I have done it to 2 campers and it is worth every penny. If you trust those roof seams with Dicor alone, you will be one of those with leaks sooner than later. Eternabond has a very, very good track record and an extremely long warranty, and for good reason. The problem with leaks is not the rubber membrane itself, it is the seams, the sealant and the shoddy application done by the manufacturers.
Quote:
I use Eternabond now. When I get our next RV, the first thing I do will be apply Eternabond to the seams. Preventing leaks is much better than repairing leaks.
Quote:
My roof has had Eternabond on the edges for 7 years now. I don't know how and I don't care if it affected that mostly worthless warranty. I still use self leveling Dicor in a few areas, but the taped parts continue to remain sealed just fine.

Our Summers are not all that challenging, but our Winters can be pretty brutal. It's had up to 4 feet of snow at times, with lots of freeze/thaw cycles thrown in.

I keep a roll in my tool box for repairs too. Any future RVs will most likely get the treatment too.
There are many more testimonials if you care to do a google search...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

Just pull out one that isn't broken to compare.

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair