Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Roof replacement

I have a 2012 rockwood windjammer with a hole in the roof. I have been told my a dealer that the entire roof need to be replaced. The reason is its a one piece roof and only can be done by the factory. Is this true does anyone know? The damage has gone thru to the ceiling in the bathroom and has created bubbles on the ceiling which has black goo in them.
Oldman Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

You can DIY it yourself or find a reputable RV body shop to do it for you. There is nothing magic about roof repair that requires it be sent to the factory for repair.

Its just basic carpentry that is made a little tedious with the removal of roof components, lap sealant, and trim.

The only time I'd use the factory is if were free under warranty.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman Ks View Post
I have a 2012 rockwood windjammer with a hole in the roof. I have been told my a dealer that the entire roof need to be replaced. The reason is its a one piece roof and only can be done by the factory. Is this true does anyone know? The damage has gone thru to the ceiling in the bathroom and has created bubbles on the ceiling which has black goo in them.
Realistically it probably could be patched, however, nowadays dealers are so litigation conscious that they will no doubt only replace the entire roof in order to protect themselves.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Thank ilmor and skyliner for you responses I appreciate it. Skyliner I agree if it was just a simple tear, however it goes much deeper than that. Ilmor your correct in your statement. I have since been in contact with the factory who advised that the roof is a solid single unit, and can only be replaced as that. Thanks again for your responses.
Oldman Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

If it's a fiberglass roof, and if your handy...
even out the hole (how big is it? you never posted or supplied a photo. is it fist sized or trash can cover size) to round or square. Patch it with some styrofoam first, and cover that with pieces of ply cut to the size of the hole, building it up with layers of Dicor between the layers of thin ply. Top layer of ply...try to get it as even with rest of roof, and then get a fiberglass patch kit from any auto parts store. Patch it , let it set up. Some Dicor Self Leveling over the patch, and finally some Eternabond Tape in whatever width you need to overlay the patched area.
May sound like overkill, but I bet it will never leak and it's what I would do if the same thing ever happened to our Lexington with a fiberglass roof. No need to replace the entire roof for one hole.
Dosen't matter if it looks patched, as long as it works, and it's on the roof...who's going to notice.
As for the interior ceiling, you'll have to attack that from the inside. First priority is to seal the hole.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, roo, roof