Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Roof sealant newbie part 2

I posted another thread and got some great answers about touching up my lap seals. Iím squared away on that part for now.

Now my next question: do I need to run a bead of sealant along the top side of the metal gutter on the side of roof? It does appear there was sealant there before but it is largely gone. There is a bead on the bottom side of the gutter so it makes sense to me to seal the top as well. Right now water could get behind the gutter and would likely be trapped behind said gutter.

I have non-sag alpha systems sealant that I plan to use for this task. Please let me know if Iím headed in the wrong direction.

Thanks!
jkrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Eternabond tape it and forget about it...

1699 5 star reviews...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eb.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	180991  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Yes, clean it could and run a bead of sealant, get you a cup with some water with a little liquid soap and dip your finger in the soapy water and smooth your bead out , about 1 1/2 feet at a time, it will smooth out better want stick to your finger as bad and will smooth the bead out to make a good seal. May have to try a few times to get it down pat, just make sure its good and clean, l use acetone on my TPO roof, it dries real fast, never had a problem. The Eternabond is good Advice to, just take time and practice. Eternabond works great l use it but no room for error, or you have a job getting it off to start over. If you ever use the Eternabond start on a small area to practice. I clean with Acetone and use Eternaprime that l paint on with the brush wait 20 minutes and apply Eternabond, roll with a roller to secure .
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Clean it good.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks everyone! Great advice.

I will do eternabond tape in the future. I’d need to do a good bit of lap sealant first anyways bc it’s so uneven currently I would never get a smooth tape install. There would be bubbles and low spots everywhere that the tape would be raised off the surface.

It looks like the lap seals are original. The seals are in great shape mostly but the sealant was applied over screw heads and along the trim edges sparingly. Which leaves a series of small or long narrow low spots with no sealant at all on top of the trim piece. I hope that makes sense. I can’t seem to upload a pic.
jkrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrose View Post
Thanks everyone! Great advice.

I will do eternabond tape in the future. Iíd need to do a good bit of lap sealant first anyways bc itís so uneven currently I would never get a smooth tape install. There would be bubbles and low spots everywhere that the tape would be raised off the surface.

It looks like the lap seals are original. The seals are in great shape mostly but the sealant was applied over screw heads and along the trim edges sparingly. Which leaves a series of small or long narrow low spots with no sealant at all on top of the trim piece. I hope that makes sense. I canít seem to upload a pic.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #7

Butyl tape behind the gutter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrose View Post
I posted another thread and got some great answers about touching up my lap seals. Iím squared away on that part for now.

Now my next question: do I need to run a bead of sealant along the top side of the metal gutter on the side of roof? It does appear there was sealant there before but it is largely gone. There is a bead on the bottom side of the gutter so it makes sense to me to seal the top as well. Right now water could get behind the gutter and would likely be trapped behind said gutter.

I have non-sag alpha systems sealant that I plan to use for this task. Please let me know if Iím headed in the wrong direction.

Thanks!
RV gutters usually are usually installed atop a strip of non-hardening butyl tape caulk. That's a really great sealant, in part because it remains sticky forever. The downside of this is that it attracts dust and looks unsightly.

Therefore it's common practice to run a thin layer of caulk at the exposed edges, just to cover the sticky part. You wouldn't want to use the common Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant because it flows--only suitable for horizontal surfaces. But the Dicor Non-Leveling Non-Sag Lap Sealant would work fine.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, roo, roof, seal