Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

Roof to sidewall sealing/repair

Since I purchased this MH used and don't have any real history on it I'm planning on sealing/caulking the roof to side wall seam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411610690.946823.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	63490

So you can see the roof membrane raps around to join the side wall. What is my best bet to make sure I get a good seal? Should I try to remove the hole trim strip and add butyl tape behind it the reattach and silicone (or dicot) above and below? Or should I clean up the existing sealant and reseal?

Also there are a few "bumps" along the roof radius. It is barely visible in the center of the pic. Is this an area of concern?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411611061.077510.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	585.6 KB
ID:	63491

I will be bringing it home from storage on Friday night. Will be working on parts of the floor (see sub floor repair thread). Also want to make sure ALL of the leaks are resolved before I start putting in new sub floor.
An unknown person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

Sounds like you are on the right track except never use silicon on the outside of a camper. Nothing else will stick where you put it. Use the Dicor caulk on side seams and self leveling on the roof. Check and reseal around all of your vents and AC with the self leveling to ensure you do not have a leake there. Check the rubber membrane for any holes.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Just picked up some leveling and non leveling Dicor at CW. Also 60' of butyl tape. They only had 1 tube of leveling and 4 tubes of non leveling.
An unknown person is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roo, roof