Old 10-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Roof vent cover patch recommendations?

We just spent the week camping under oaks and got bombarded with acorns. One of which punched a hole right through the plastic roof vent cover. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, waterproof, patching material that would be suitable to adhere to this type of plastic. I'm not interested in DUCT TAPE, thank you! And not interested in replacing the cover for this small amount of damage. Thanks in advance for any serious recommendations.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

My first response would be to just replace it. But you've nixed that plan.

My next response would be Gorilla Tape, but that's just a stronger, bigger, bad-asser cousin to Duct Tape. So that's out.

Is Eternabond tape far enough away from duct tape? Still an eyesore but will hold.

And lastly, I might consider awning tape. It's sort of see-thru and should be less noticeable.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Clear Flex Tape.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

You should replace it. They make replacement covers. That vent cover is the only thing keeping the inside of your trailer dry. Why would you want to risk that with a patch?

Get some maxxflo vent covers after that and it'll protect the covers from further damage (they're more durable).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Like theseClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191017-161632.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	217495Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191017-161601.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	217496
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... don't skimp on this one.
Replace it (cheaper than you might think) and then get vent covers.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=55
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
D W

If a falling acorn punctured it then that cover has had it. It's only going to get worse. I would just slap some tape on it (carefully!), and get a new cover on order from Amazon or Walmart ASAP.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My first response would be to just replace it. But you've nixed that plan.
I would replace it too. If an acorn broke it, its brittle and needs to be replaced.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Roof vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
We just spent the week camping under oaks and got bombarded with acorns. One of which punched a hole right through the plastic roof vent cover. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, waterproof, patching material that would be suitable to adhere to this type of plastic. I'm not interested in DUCT TAPE, thank you! And not interested in replacing the cover for this small amount of damage. Thanks in advance for any serious recommendations.
I had a vent damaged by hail. The screen caught the pieces so Ibrepaired it with two part epoxy that looks like a syringe. That being said a new vent can be had for 18 bucks. Hey
hreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #10

I would suggest replacing it. If it was a fantastic fan, then you may find it has a lifetime warranty’. Even so they are not very expensive!
bbbeebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

Thank you for those responses that stayed on topic, and the thoughtful responses of others.

As someone who spent several years of full timing in the Florida sun, I am keenly aware of what a brittle vent cover looks like. And I have replaced said damaged covers in my lifetime. But I am not interested in replacing a three month old cover with a clean acorn bullet hole, and no other damage. A patch is a suitable solution for this damage.

I am interested in products or materials folks have had good luck with that may be something that I haven't thought of yet. The top of my list is using materials from a high-end canoe patch kit that I have. I'm just currently researching the compatibility of the adhesive....

For me, a small repair is a better option than adding another chunk of plastic to the landfill.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

You’re kidding right?? Might try an epoxy patch!
2015 Ford Explorer
bbbeebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

Vent Patch

There's a product called "Sail Tape". It's clear and originally made to patch saile on boats. Its strong and will stck to the vent plastic. You can usually find it at Camping World as a patching material for awnings.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
D W

Go ahead, put a canoe patch on it, and let us know how you make out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #15

If an acorn put a hole in it it is time to replace it. After a few years in the sun they get very brittle. Hate to see a load of snow finish it off if you live where it snows.

I just saw that it is not old. Use a clear plumbers epoxy.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
Ive got to hand it to you, you presented a problem and then, even before any suggestions were made, you nixed most every possibility.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up and were most likely looking for someone to suggest what you had already made your mind up to do.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #17

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemplesr View Post
I just saw that it is not old. Use a clear plumbers epoxy.

Thank you for this suggestion! It is exactly why I posed the question to begin with; to hear material suggestions from others that I hadn't thought of myself.

I happen to have an excellent two part plumber's epoxy that will be perfect for this SMALL patch. It adheres to anything, waterproof, and so sturdy it should outlast the life of the cover. Shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes and will cost me ZERO dollars. Thanks again @atemplesr, and to everyone that KINDLY suggested various patching products.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #18

Wow! This is what keeps me coming back.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #19

Vent cover repair

Epoxy will work if the hole is small or you can apply it in increments.

But I wonder if clear awning repair tape might not be easier and cleaner. It will stand up to the sun, is watertight and easy to work with. I used it to repair a 6 inch tear in my awning that was right next to the seam and at the end of the awning tube. The tape is really inconspicuous. After 3 years it is holding up perfectly even though it is applied in an area subject to high tension.

Good luck.
plymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymaniac View Post
Epoxy will work if the hole is small or you can apply it in increments.

But I wonder if clear awning repair tape might not be easier and cleaner. It will stand up to the sun, is watertight and easy to work with. I used it to repair a 6 inch tear in my awning that was right next to the seam and at the end of the awning tube. The tape is really inconspicuous. After 3 years it is holding up perfectly even though it is applied in an area subject to high tension.

Good luck.
Thank you plymaniac. I've been thinking about adding awning tape to my tool kit anyway, so might give it a try on this small hole.

Tags
cover, roo, roof, vent