Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Rotten area on roof - help with repair

Bought a 2000 Wildwood everything seemed to be fine. Long story short I did not get on a ladder and really inspect the roof. (rubber roof)

First issue was a small leak around the vent in the bathroom, got the self leveling sealant and went around the vent after cleaning properly and well. It was not in bad shape but there were a couple of places that needed attention. That seemed to take care of the small leak.......until the heavy rain came and it leaked again.

So back on the roof I go. This time I wasn't trying to beat the bad weather coming in so decided to really look around and inspect things. Why I did not notice the first time I was up there that one of the vent pipes for the bathroom was missing the air cap and the other needs to be replaced before it goes missing, I will never know.

First thought was that maybe I am lucky and the rain just has been going down the vent pipe and filling the holding tank.......dumb thought I know. I get over to the area and notice that the roof is soft around the pipe, mainly on one side about 6 or 7 inches. On further inspection I see that the rubber roofing was cut in an x to get the pipe out the roof and the rain has been getting under the rubber roof and has rotted an area out and is more than likely running under the rubber and was leaking out around the vent in the bathroom. I am pretty sure it is the vent for the shower so to at least stop any water from going in any more and for a quick remedy I tied a zip lock bag over the entire opening and sealed it off.....very very temporary fix.

This is my question. Beside replacing both vents pipes with new caps I know I need to patch the roof under the rubber. Can I not cut the rubber carefully a bit bigger than the area that needs to be replaced keeping that piece of rubber roofing, replace rotted wood, contact cement the rubber back to the area and go around all the edges with a sealant tape like externabond?

I am also going to be redoing the entire roof with a new coating and doing all the areas around vents, pipes, edges etc. with the externabond tape. Do I do the tape and then roll on the new coating, or the coating and then the tape?

Thank you for any help.
lengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #2

I forgot to add I don't use the shower right now so covering the vent was not a major problem.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

You can do it that way or purchase a larger piece of roofing material from a service dept. we all have large sheets left over from complete roof replacements. The eternabond will seal if you get the roof real clean with their cleaner. Be sure to check that your vent pipes protrude all the way up through the seal on the base of the vent cover. If not water runs in around the pipe into the roof opening. Be sure and Dicor around the tape to keep the edges from lifting.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
You can do it that way or purchase a larger piece of roofing material from a service dept. we all have large sheets left over from complete roof replacements. The eternabond will seal if you get the roof real clean with their cleaner. Be sure to check that your vent pipes protrude all the way up through the seal on the base of the vent cover. If not water runs in around the pipe into the roof opening. Be sure and Dicor around the tape to keep the edges from lifting.
Thank you for your reply and I will check getting a larger piece of roofing material to use as a patch, sounds better to me doing it that way. I will also double check the vent pipes and make sure they protrude all the way up through and Dicor around the tape edges.

Tags
repair, roo, roof