Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
GeorgiaBears

Rubber roof maintenance

I have a 2011 forest rivet surveyor 235RKS with a rubber membrane roof. Took it to Camping World to get a few things looked at, and they tried to sell me on some routine maintenance for the roof. 2 options: Rubber roof preventative at $350 which would clean and apply a moisturizing uv preventative to the roof. 2nd option Rubber Roof Reseal package at over $800 which would clean, Reseal and replace any caulking and lap sealants. My question is-are either of these worth the money? I'm leaning toward the $350 options, but don't want to get scammed. Thoughts?
GeorgiaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #2

If your capable of getting on the roof .I would just by the cleaner/ conditioner and do it yourself.
I bought the cleaner/conditioner .but I also bought a new soft bristle push broom and use warm water and dawn soap first.Works great. Then use the cleaner/conditioner
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

I do the same as hrlyguy2. I don't get up on the roof. I do it from a ladder.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. I would not pay them that kind of money for a job I can do myself. Here's a list of manuals that might help you.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Awnings, Roofs and Exterior

Or, dig into the stack of manuals that you got with the trailer and follow their instructions. Its really pretty simple. Besides, you will want to inspect the seals and seams several times a year and recaulk as needed yourself. Its too important to leave to someone else in my opinion.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #5

It's my understanding that an EPDM roof material does not need any kind of conditioner and in fact does not need to be kept gleeming white. The material has all the inhibitors it needs. The only reason for using a cleaner would be for cosmetic reasons. I believe that the build up of discoloration and so forth on the material only enhances it's protective properties. This comment enforces my experience with the EPDM roof on a 2000 MH that received a general cleaning about every 2 years for 10 years and sold with a like new roof that was exposed to all the elements while racking up over 95 thousand miles in travels. Never had an issue with the roofing material. I kind a wish our new unit had EPDM instead of fiberglass; it's quieter.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I agree. I would not pay them that kind of money for a job I can do myself. Here's a list of manuals that might help you.

Or, dig into the stack of manuals that you got with the trailer and follow their instructions. Its really pretty simple. Besides, you will want to inspect the seals and seams several times a year and recaulk as needed yourself. Its too important to leave to someone else in my opinion.
X2
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

X3
If I remember right the book on my 2014 prime time unit only recommends washing the roof 4 times a year..

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Y*I*K*E*S!! $800 to clean your roof? I am really dissapointed that CW is trying to foist that "service" on you

Your Rubber (EPDM) roof is essentially maintenance-free. Tests by DICOR (the folks who make the roof material) give a modern roof a 20 year life and 10-12 years between service - here is a article by 303-Aerospace that gives you the BLUF:

The Truth About EPDM Rubber Roofs

(IMHO, spend your money on the 303-Aerospace protectant and clean your rig to make it more shiney, pretty & aerodynamic )

Back to $800...was this JUST to treat your roof? Reason I ask is we got a complete interior and exterior ECORV treatment for $800 - somewhat different than just a "Roof" treatment - the exterior is a sealant that helps keep the finish from staining. That treatment was a 2 day process (total) with about 6 hours of actual labor involved...just to compare what $800 get ya

(EcoProProducts - Eco-Friendly Vehicle Protection Products)

Even if you want to keep your roof pretty for Google Maps <...who else is gonna see it?> a simple spray cleaner from 303-Aerospace or Dicor + a "Conditioner" costs @ $25.00...you, a hose, the cleaner and a soft long handle brush & about a hour should do the trick (and, if roof-walking is not your thing, use a ladder)

TIP #2 (untried by me but used by a friend) used his pressure washer set on "Car Wash" pressure (NOT cement cleaning!). He sprayed the cleaner on the roof, waited 15 min and sprayed it off (according to him). His roof looked pretty showroom-clean to me! (YMMV)

Cheers!

Bob
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

About an hours time.
36' plus two slides.

TURBS

dog wisperer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390419727613.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	45258   Click image for larger version

Name:	1390419754300.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	45259  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
"On the road again"

I try to wash our Columbus 320RS at least every other month, plus immediately after any trips to the coast (to get salty sea spray off). About twice a year I do roof cleaning and use a Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner from Camco.

Camco 41065 Pro-Tec RV Rubber Roof Cleaner And Conditioner - 32 Oz Spray Bottle | MFG# 41065 | CAM-41065 | Hanna Trailer Supply Oak Creek, Wisconsin

I get on the roof with a sponge mop...water hose with sprayer and go to town. It takes me about 2 to 3 hours, but for a twice-a-year project I think it's time well spent. Of course...then I have to immediately wash the rest of the trailer to get any of the roof cleaner/conditioner off of the sidewalls/front cap and back. Just completed a good roof-cleaning this past Saturday followed by complete wash of the fiver.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #11

Smile

HI,
I gotta jump in here and ask if anyone has not had just dirt wear but signs of the outer whiter coat fading and deteriorating where you can see the black rubber "bleeding through".
Our unit is 9yrs old this March and over the years I have washed the roof 2-3 times each year. At first a bucket car wash soap would get it looking new. Then after a few years I purchased Camco RV roof cleaner and another combo cleaner/protectant sold at Camping World. Eventually by year five or six the roof would not look new, dull off whitish grey and small dirt spots. I notice under a few vents it looks pretty new BUT what concerns me most is this wearing I described above. A small Crepe Myrtle tree branch also wore some of the top coat in a very small area.
Is there a top coating available ? We live in a severe dirt and dust area and also close to Interstate 5. I mean real close.

Tim
tgtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:36 AM   #12

This is our 1st RV with a rubber roof... I have no experience with cleaning or maintenance of the roof.

I have heard that excessive cleaning and scrubbing of the roof can wear out the rubber faster than if you just left it alone.

Other than cosmetic... what harm can some road dirt do to the rubber roof?

Is it possible the grime accumulated on the roof actually creates a better barrier to protect against UV damage?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #13

This was in another article here maybe this is what you want.
Liquid Roof by Pro Guard Coatings.
I have also seen other articles about people spraying their roof with bed liner like material. Research time..
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It's my understanding that an EPDM roof material does not need any kind of conditioner and in fact does not need to be kept gleeming white. The material has all the inhibitors it needs. The only reason for using a cleaner would be for cosmetic reasons. I believe that the build up of discoloration and so forth on the material only enhances it's protective properties. This comment enforces my experience with the EPDM roof on a 2000 MH that received a general cleaning about every 2 years for 10 years and sold with a like new roof that was exposed to all the elements while racking up over 95 thousand miles in travels. Never had an issue with the roofing material. I kind a wish our new unit had EPDM instead of fiberglass; it's quieter.
X2 on this. I think cleaning is for cosmetics. Business buildings have EPDM roofs and I don't see them washing and putting stuff on them twice a year. I will clean mine to help keep siding clean.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tly-40174.html

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtrotter View Post
HI,
I gotta jump in here and ask if anyone has not had just dirt wear but signs of the outer whiter coat fading and deteriorating where you can see the black rubber "bleeding through".
Our unit is 9yrs old this March and over the years I have washed the roof 2-3 times each year. At first a bucket car wash soap would get it looking new. Then after a few years I purchased Camco RV roof cleaner and another combo cleaner/protectant sold at Camping World. Eventually by year five or six the roof would not look new, dull off whitish grey and small dirt spots. I notice under a few vents it looks pretty new BUT what concerns me most is this wearing I described above. A small Crepe Myrtle tree branch also wore some of the top coat in a very small area.
Is there a top coating available ? We live in a severe dirt and dust area and also close to Interstate 5. I mean real close.

Tim
hey tgtrotter
I had a wilderness with that same issue.
On my computer at home i have a lot of good info about fixing this.
There where 2 types of roofs rv mfg used like this. Using the wrong stuff will cause vulcanized.
One type was called alpha , thats what i had.
Cant remember the other type.
You need to find out what type you have from the mfg. I called wilderness and gave them my vin. They told me I had the alpha. A dealer try to sell me some stuff, later I learned what they were selling was the stuff not to use.
If its a alpha here's a good link. This is where I got the primer and top coat.
Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

I think they sell products for both types.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #17

I saw the $350 roof treatment in a Camping World ad. I do it myself. I use a RV roof cleaner and then apply the RV roof UV conditioner from a ladder. I don't get up on the roof if I can help it. Cleaning the roof helps with the black streaks and the UV treatment can't hurt. I am aware that some don't think you need to clean the roof or apply treatment. But I don't think it can hurt anything. I am way to cheap to pay $350 for some thing this old man can do in a few hours. The hardest part of the job is getting down and moving the ladder. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
This is our 1st RV with a rubber roof... I have no experience with cleaning or maintenance of the roof.

I have heard that excessive cleaning and scrubbing of the roof can wear out the rubber faster than if you just left it alone.

Other than cosmetic... what harm can some road dirt do to the rubber roof?

Is it possible the grime accumulated on the roof actually creates a better barrier to protect against UV damage?

I feel the same way. My father in law has a 04 and has never done anything to his roof and has never had a problem and yes it's a rubber roof.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBears View Post
I have a 2011 forest rivet surveyor 235RKS with a rubber membrane roof. Took it to Camping World to get a few things looked at, and they tried to sell me on some routine maintenance for the roof. 2 options: Rubber roof preventative at $350 which would clean and apply a moisturizing uv preventative to the roof. 2nd option Rubber Roof Reseal package at over $800 which would clean, Reseal and replace any caulking and lap sealants. My question is-are either of these worth the money? I'm leaning toward the $350 options, but don't want to get scammed. Thoughts?
That is just crazy, my dealer cleans and seals my roof yearly. You have to clean and reseal your roof yearly to keep it covered for warranty which is 10 years. My dealer charges me $165.00 to do the job and then I have a record to show if something happens down the line in years to come. FR will ask for proof that you maintained it per your stated WARRANTY (which say's it has to be treated and sealed yearly to be warranted). I would do it myself but then I do not have a paper trail. I wouldn't let CW touch my unit besides they charge double for anything when it comes to repairs or maintenance. Just my opinion and calling around for the same repairs by different RV dealers they are always the highest and I know of people personally that have said they would never have CW do any more work for them again. In fact my dealer is doing my yearly March 4th.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #20

If you must clean...a capful of "Dawn" dishwashing liquid in a couple of gallons of water...use a SOFT bristle brush. As for a protectant...the only product worth anything is Aerospace 303...pricey, but "you get what you pay for"...As for Camping World...PHEWWWW!! This company is the pits in terms of consistently and intentionally over charging for both so called 'services' and products. If you're not already an Amazon Prime member, sign up! Free 2-day shipping... and virtually anything that CW sells is available through Amazon at much reduced cost.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof