Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #1

Rubber - weird request

I'm trying to repair my fold-a-cover tonneau. Vultures"ate" the rubber over the hinges, so now it isn't waterproof..

I tried once with some roll neoprene rubber, 1/16" thick. It isn't really stretchy enough and even worse, is cracked to oblivion due to sun (UV, of course). Fail...

So, trying to come up with some thin (.060" or even less) rubber that stretches and is uv stable.

Silicone?
Epdm?

Happened across rv roof repair tape. Hmmmm, but I can't have the adhesive. Maybe the roof material itself..... But it's like a million dollars (or way too much).
Maybe someone has some scraps?
Other source/material suggestions?
Warehouse of fold-a-cover parts (they're out of business)?

I need 3pcs about 2" x 65". Oh, and black (lots of white roofs).

Some roll of something would be great.
Shrink wrap that I could slit, but it'd probably shrink in the sun.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #2

Flex seal? That comes in liquid, tape, paste, etc. and is basically a liquid rubber. Whether it will survive the sun is unknown. It comes in white, black and clear. All I know is what they advertise. Never used it.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Get some roof flashing seal tape at one of the big box stores. It's rubber/vinyl and flexible and sticks like crazy. It will pull the top layer of plywood off if bonded correctly. Sticks to almost anything.

Eternabond would work too.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=95
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #4

I need NON-adhesive.
I just need the rubber.

Stopped by the rv place. They had very little epdm and it wasn't wide enough.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #5

or for 300 to 400 you can buy a new cover.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
or for 300 to 400 you can buy a new cover.

I can't, they're out of business.
Closest thing is $1400, which is about what I paid 6 years ago. And I don't like it as much.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I can't, they're out of business.
Closest thing is $1400, which is about what I paid 6 years ago. And I don't like it as much.
OK, my trifold cost $300 and they are up to $350 now. Or have you looked for a used cover to remove the material for yours.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #8

I feel your pain I was glad my cover was off as "Wallace" adopted my truck.

Its almost funny now. He stayed with my truck several weeks. I moved the truck down the road to our building site. (maybe 1/4 to half mile away) and darned if he didnt show up down there and stayed with the truck until I moved it again. Before anyone asks no he did not come to dinner at Thanksgiving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8330.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	277721  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
OK, my trifold cost $300 and they are up to $350 now. Or have you looked for a used cover to remove the material for yours.

Perhaps it's obvious we're talking about different products.

I scoured looking for used or old stock. I got insurance money for it, so I was more than willing.. Struck out everywhere.

At this point I might try some "tape" and hope i can get the adhesive off where I don't want it. Or spend $188 for a roll of epdm roofing and use 1% of it.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Defender of America

Use some rubber window weather stripping. It comes in rolls of various thicknesses and widths. If you don't need adhesive, just don't peel the paper off of it. I got several rolls from the local Lowe's.

Send a picture of the tri-fold so we know exactly what you're looking for.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

Lowe's?bbbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Perhaps it's obvious we're talking about different products.

I scoured looking for used or old stock. I got insurance money for it, so I was more than willing.. Struck out everywhere.

At this point I might try some "tape" and hope i can get the adhesive off where I don't want it. Or spend $188 for a roll of epdm roofing and use 1% of it.
Lowe's sells gray flexible PVC by the foot, off the roll. It's used to line the base of residential shower stalls, before the cement and tile go down. It's 40 mils thick, 5 feet wide, and $7.88 per lineal foot.

Would that work?

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #12
Campaholic

Have you tried Steele Rubber Products? They have all kinds of seals and gaskets available by the foot.
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
New to FR. Old to TT

Look for pond liner, it is uv stable and very flexible. Comes in black, you might look up pond /pool contractors in your area to ask about scrap or left overs
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #14

McMaster Carr Supply

Check out McMaster Carr, they are an industrial supplier with a broad spectrum of items. Here is a sample 2" x 1/16", non-adhesive, weather resistant, black rubber => https://www.mcmaster.com/8985K12
rockstarr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:30 PM   #15
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

X2 contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
Look for pond liner, it is uv stable and very flexible. Comes in black, you might look up pond /pool contractors in your area to ask about scrap or left overs
Commercial roofing contractors will have scraps they will give you and/or sell. Call around.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:44 AM   #16

Old truck Inner tube from the tire store.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Use some rubber window weather stripping. It comes in rolls of various thicknesses and widths. If you don't need adhesive, just don't peel the paper off of it. I got several rolls from the local Lowe's.

Send a picture of the tri-fold so we know exactly what you're looking for.
That doesn't work, as then the exposed surface would be paper.
Or it'd be against the hinge, which would crumple (actually it'd either tear or crumple regardless of which side it's on).

https://i.imgur.com/4c7vr3c.jpg
so the rubber covers the hinge. When it folds up, the rubber (in theory) contracts to not bind up the hinge. I the picture shown, the "half" on the left folds up and lays on the "half" on right. If that makes any sense..... Doesn't show the best, but the rubber (neoprene - found on amazon) is all cracked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Lowe's sells gray flexible PVC by the foot, off the roll. It's used to line the base of residential shower stalls, before the cement and tile go down. It's 40 mils thick, 5 feet wide, and $7.88 per lineal foot.

Would that work?
That seems pretty plausible. I'd rather black over grey, but I'm getting less and less picky as time goes on. I wonder if it's 65" wide though (the width of the tonneau). I'll look closer, depending on how things pan (haha, shower pan, get it?) out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun finders View Post
Have you tried Steele Rubber Products? They have all kinds of seals and gaskets available by the foot.
I did.. Just now. I just emailed as opposed to searching for an hour through all their catalogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
yeah, I found this as well. 45mil, which would be nice to be a little thinner than 1/16".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarr4 View Post
Check out McMaster Carr, they are an industrial supplier with a broad spectrum of items. Here is a sample 2" x 1/16", non-adhesive, weather resistant, black rubber => https://www.mcmaster.com/8985K12
I'm a mechanical engineer. I'm *very* aware of McMaster. Trolled all over and can't find what I want for a reasonable price. what you linked is only 36" long. Tonneau is 65" wide. I don't especially want a seam in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Commercial roofing contractors will have scraps they will give you and/or sell. Call around.
Yeah, I came up with this too. Just need to do that leg work, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Old truck Inner tube from the tire store.
oooo, interesting. I doubt it'd be UV stable though. Perhaps too thin (see pic above)? But yeah, I like it, if I could come up with one, and it was UV stable.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:45 AM   #18

This one?

The Lowe's item I posted before was gray, 40 mils thick, and sold by the foot, but only 5' wide.

This Lowe's item is a 5'x6' sheet, also gray, 40 mils, for $40.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The Lowe's item I posted before was gray, 40 mils thick, and sold by the foot, but only 5' wide.

This Lowe's item is a 5'x6' sheet, also gray, 40 mils, for $40.
you're quicker than I. I only made it as far as seeing that previous sheet was 5'. I'm gonna hold out a bit for black. also not sure about the UV capable-atude of this. So we'll see.
Regardless, thank you.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:17 AM   #20

Neoprene coated nylon?

aeblank,
Wife and I operated a reverse bungee jump amusement attraction for about six years which we called the Power Jump. Each of five jumping stations had an inflatable air bag made of neoprene coated nylon fabric, probably about 40 mil. I don't know a brand or trade name for the material but there used to be a shop here in the Portland, OR. area that dealt in it. It is the very same material that flat bed semi-truck haulers use for covering their loads. It is very strong, comes in a wide array of colors, including black.

Our air bags had hundreds of kids and adults jumping on them nearly every day for about a six month season and we never had a failure. They were sewed up with heavy nylon thread which needed to be spot replaced a couple of times over the six or so years. The material is extremely tough, remains pliable after endless sun exposure, doesn't stretch much at all however, can be joined or patched with H77. If you can locate a truck tarp fabricator they would most likely have scraps way longer than you might need. There is one up here in the Pacific Northwest, Battleground, WA. that we had make up a large water catching enclosure with inflatable (constantly on blower, like inflatable amusements) sidewalls. ?They bond the material together for truck tarps, or anything one wants made, by using some sort of an ultrasonic press which I guess generates heat and bonds layers together. I wish I could provide more definitive information but I have nothing current, but could probably look them up for contacts if you might be interested. Good success.
Robusto is offline   Reply With Quote