Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind Send a message via Skype™ to Bauernfeind
Rust Removal & Prevention

I've some rust appearing after this wet winter on the hitch assembly, a few spots under the bin doors — what is the easiest rust removal procedure and how to prevent it in the future? I can remember years ago using vaseline on some items but that attacks dirt.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

Naval jelly will remove light rust quickly and easily and Por-15 will keep it from coming back. Just follow the directions of both and you should have not issues cleaning that up.

- R
Old 03-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #3

Naval Jelly will dissolve the rust chemically. After that treat with a corrosion
Inhibitor like ACF-50 (my favorite). It is not as cheap as WD-40, but is magic IMO. ACF-50 will stop the advancement of corrosion on contact.
I have been using it for years in aviation and on all of my equipment.

Here is a link where you can read about it, but you can find it cheaper.
I have no financial interest in this product, I just think it is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1C8UO/...l_8xg0tnl5kp_b
Old 03-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

Rustoleum rust converter. Use brillow pad......wipe with denatured alchohol......and spray. Let drt.....Then spray whatever color matches that part of your trailer.
acstrummer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

For that fresh and minimal of rust, I'd hit it with a green scotchbrite, prepsol, and then Corroseal. For the winter storage prep, get a decent spray wax with plenty of carnuba in it. Hit all your exposed powdercoat. Quick, easy, and works. Boeshield T9 also extremely effective, and I prefer to use it on the chassis and suspensions of my trucks to fend off the damage from road salt and bring (extreme here).
Old 03-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

On my landing gear I've used CLR to remove the rust. Then coat with Rustoleum
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

I have some rust on the front of my trailer's railing area, so as soon as the weather clears, I'm sanding down the rough parts of the rust, applying POR 15 Metal prep and then degreasing the area and applying two coats of POR 15. Once that dries a coat of any back paint.
POR 15 goes over rust is hard as a rock when dries but has NO UV properties so a cover coat of a paint with UV must also be applied.
This is the stuff that most Jeep wrangler owners will apply to the rusted front tubs of their wranglers. And it hold up great to rocks.

Did one of my wranglers with this stuff and after two more years of off-roading in rocks and sometimes mud, there were no chips to the coating.

Takes time, and POR 15 smells terrible, but the stuff works and not only gets rid of the rust, it prevents stone chips that can cause rust to reappear.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent