Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

RV caulk?

I have decided to re-caulk my 2015 Vengeance 29V during this work shutdown. As I am looking at my rain gutters I notice the “caulk”, if it is caulking, is grey and doesn’t look like caulking. My question is, does the manufacturer use a heavy duty adhesive to attach the rain gutters to the rig? Is so I don’t need to add caulk to it, but if not what type of caulk would it be? Or is it just a grey colored decor caulk? Thanks in advance for your help!
Kaysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

Do not use regular caulk on anything. It will not stand up to the flex of traveling down the interstate.

It's probably something like Pro-Flex RV.
https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

There are a couple of others that are suitable as well. However, this is the best I've used.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

I am using the Dicor RV caulk my question was for the substance around my rain gutters, is that caulk or the adhesive that holds the gutter to the trailer? If it is adhesive, I really don’t need to caulk it because it is not protruding I to the skin just glued to the outside. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #4

In my experience, the non-leveling lap sealant isn't strong enough for the areas around your gutters (especially the "downspouts"). Under the gutters.. maybe.

I did my whole camper with Dicor everything.. spent a couple of weekends re-doing all the sealant around everything (walls, windows, doors, trim, etc).

It all cracked out the first trip.

The only Dicor product I'll use now is the self-levelling lap sealant on the roof around vents, pipes, etc.

In my opinion, Pro-Flex (specifically the clear) is better and much stronger.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Thanks, I was looking into proflex but read it was not for RV’s. I’ll have to reconsider.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

Sort of on the subject - Does anyone have the sealant chart for these trailers? I've read that there are specific types that are to be used in particular areas but I cannot seem to locate that type of chart.
Corbinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:09 AM   #7

I had a similar conversation with a dealership this week and they said they use OSI. I lookup up the products, says it's strong and has some elasticity.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #8

After a lot of trial and error, I’ve settled on Proflex RV. It’s great to deal with and holds up better than anything I’ve seen. It forms a really thick, dense seam. I’d definitely use painter’s tape on either side of the seam to ensure a nice looking bead.
DrivingRangeChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

Thanks for that! I'm looking for something that's super strong and tough as nails, not gooey or can be easily peeled off by hand or tools.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingRangeChamp View Post
After a lot of trial and error, I’ve settled on Proflex RV. It’s great to deal with and holds up better than anything I’ve seen. It forms a really thick, dense seam. I’d definitely use painter’s tape on either side of the seam to ensure a nice looking bead.
good suggestion. OF course I am a stickler for clean lines... everywhere except around my waist!
horn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
In my experience, the non-leveling lap sealant isn't strong enough for the areas around your gutters (especially the "downspouts"). Under the gutters.. maybe.

I did my whole camper with Dicor everything.. spent a couple of weekends re-doing all the sealant around everything (walls, windows, doors, trim, etc).

It all cracked out the first trip.

The only Dicor product I'll use now is the self-levelling lap sealant on the roof around vents, pipes, etc.
E
In my opinion, Pro-Flex (specifically the clear) is better and much stronger.

Yep Same for me!!
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk