Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

RV Roof Edge Tearing/Fraying

Got up on ladder cleaning my 2015 Heritage Glen this past weekend, up on roof, between roof and drip edge and above awning...I noticed that the edge on my roof between the roof and the drip edge was tearing/fraying. I'm assuming from sitting out in the elements..I just bought this RV a month ago and even though I got up on roof when I bought it and all looked good you would never see this unless you got up on a ladder and looked above the awning...

I've researched some of the posts on this forum but had not seen a post that discusses this particular type issue...

1. Should I utilize Eternabond tape on this or something else.

2. Should I have to take off drip edge to apply eternabond and replace it? (I sure hope not but will if I have too)

3. Could I just go over drip edge and then on to roof with eternabond?

4. If I take off drip edge would I ha e to take of awning too?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	204590[
Marine DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

I'm curious what others would say but I think It is time for eternabond. Leave the edge on and wrap tape from roof over the edge enough to cover the fasteners on the edge or to the gutter.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I'm curious what others would say but I think It is time for eternabond. Leave the edge on and wrap tape from roof over the edge enough to cover the fasteners on the edge or to the gutter.
X2.

Also, check with roof manufacturer, there may be warranty.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
X2. I believe Eternabond tape comes in various widths and lengths so, find a size that will work for you. It is not cheap but is will worth the cost for roof repairs.

I carry a roll with me in my trailer storage box for emergencies repairs when I am traveling.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

Contact the roof manufacture first, should be under warranty if material is cracking but sealing seams is on you. Not all manufactures will continue to warranty roof if you use EB tape on contact with roof but many do. Ask because most roof materials are warr. for ten or more years.
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
3. Could I just go over drip edge and then on to roof with eternabond?
that is what I did... just enough in the drip channel to get into it... maybe 1/4 inch

A roll of 2 inch 50 foot Eternabond is $32

NOT EXPENSIVE

amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 eterna.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	204605  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Green Horn

How do you know who the roof manufacturer is? Wouldn’t it be forest river
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
How do you know who the roof manufacturer is? Wouldn’t it be forest river
As a second owner you may not have any warranty... then again you might... you will probably have tens of phone calls to FR and weeks of waiting and many trips to the dealer to make and prove a claim. After all this is the HIGH season of selling/repairing campers and you will be very low priority.

OR

spend an hour or two and $35 and take care of it yourself. Eternabond will last as long or longer then the roof.

Read up here http://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=166

First pic shows the leading edge of my roof sealed with E-bond. Second shows the drip edge on the side sealed with tape extending down into the channel of the lip.

SOme here including me did preventive maintenance using Eternabond on the roof while it was still new...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof01.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	204643   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof02.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	204644  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #9

RV Roof Edge Tearing/Fraying

Cabinfecer97, 5picker, jim34L, strgazr, rsdata and kevin211
Thank y’all for the input/feedback.....I considered going the manufactures warranty route and I agree with kevin211 that it’s probably way more trouble than it’s worth, I’m going the eterna bond route and give it a shot....thanks again
Marine DI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

Thanks folks. Just had our first leak on our 2017 Salem Hemishpere Hyperlyte and found the leak was from cracking caulk at the front seam. I also noticed I had the beginning stages of the cracking on the roof edge and this thread has me pointed in the right direction for my repair. I have three kids and they're hard on equipment, so I plan on running this into the ground. Not worried about resale value or aesthetics.
Skippy9842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #11

Roof membrane tore off - Anyone else have this?

Last year the roof membrane on our 2012 8289 5'er Rockwood Ultralight ripped off about 10 feet. Prior to this we had a ripple right behind the bedroom vent. We were out east so I treated it with Dicor and redid the vent when Dicor didn't help. The membrane was working away from the vent. When we got back home we filed an insurance claim and it was replaced. Now after a couple camping trips this year of maybe 600 total miles the membrane is bubbling up about 3/4 of an inch the width of the vent. Has anyone else had something like this?
I wonder if there could be a structural weakness causing the roof to rack or something? Air getting between the roof deck and the membrane?

Any ideas are appreciated. I'm taking it back to the RV dealer/repair shop for them to evaluate next week.
Bob Westdorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:04 AM   #12

Sounds like another job for eternabond to me. I'm applying it this year once it cools slightly as precautionary. Around all for edges of the roof and around the edges of all roof protrusions (Air Vent, AC, TV Antenna, Plumbing vents, Ladder mounts, etc).

A good clean roof to start with and the tape and a roller to give it good pressure and contact and then all I have to do is check it a couple times a year and patch any smaller tears or holes. I truly believe the only reason manufactures don't apply it as standard procedure is that RV's rooting from water intrusion sells more RV's. Yes, Very cynical thought and that not normally who I am but I truly believe it.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #13

Roof Edge Fraying

My 2015 Flagstaff did the same thing. It is down both sides and the front. I noticed it when it was only 3 yrs old but since I was not the original owner there is no warranty. They did send me some patching supplies but I went over the damaged areas with the dicorsealant. It held for a while but it continued to deteriorate and the wind got under it and caused a tear of about 12 inches when I was on the road. Thanks to Gorilla tape I got home and no leaks.

I ordered some 3 inch eternabond tape and removed the metal piece that covers the joint of the roof and the wall all the way around, cleaned off the old sealant as much as possible and put the eternabond on the edge and rolled it over on the top to cover the roof edge and used the roller to seal it good then replaced the metal strip with new sealant. It did a neat job this way and it is under the metal strip and is held by the adhesive on the tape and the screws.

It took several days but from the ground it does not look patched. Also, if you need to remove the metal strip later for possible issues with the wall you don't have to remove the tape (which is not easy). On my trailer the awning is attached to the metal strip and will need to be supported when you remove the screws holding it to the wall.
hayseed14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof