Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2023, 07:04 AM   #1

Salem 27RK adding ceiling vent in bedroom

Hi, I am new to this forum but looking for some info. I have a 22 Salem 27RK and want to add a power vent fan to bedroom for some more air circulation. There is not one there currently and trying to figure best location for fan and if there are any things I can hit in ceiling while cutting hole. I contacted FR and asked about drawing for ceiling but wont help me. They suggested dealer could install one but I could not do it by self. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Bob
Bkeith114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Team

We added an A/C to the bedroom of our 29RKSS which is a close cousin to the 27RK, so it may be possible to do what you want to.

I would start by pulling the vent fan trim in the bathroom and see if you can see in the ceiling toward the bedroom. We could on ours and found that there wasn't anything in the way. I even measured the distance to the trusses from the bedroom wall, so I knew where to cut the hole.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:53 AM   #3

Roof vent

Thanks for the reply, right now we have snow and camper is in storage. Will give that a try when it warms up. One more question is there insulation in the ceiling area? I am guessing it is probably 6 ' to the bedroom from the vent in the bathroom. Thanks Bob
Old 01-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #4

The insulation is likely styrofoam.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Team

The insulation can either be styrofoam or fiberglass. Ours was fiberglass about 3" thick, so there's a space in the ceiling between it and the roof decking.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #6

Vent

Hopefully just fiberglass in mine, so can see over it. Thanks for reply. Bob
Old 01-22-2023, 10:27 PM   #7

Are you saying that there is not even a non=powered vent in the bathroom? Both of my TT's had vents but I upgraded the cheap fan with a Vortex add-on vent fan. That fan is a 3 speed that is reversible. If we use exhaust on high speed, it will suck the stink out of the black tank if you hold the toilet flush valve down for a long time.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:51 AM   #8

Vent

There is a power vent in bathroom. I wan to add one to bedroom for more air circulation when sleeping. Bob
Old 01-23-2023, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
We added an A/C to the bedroom of our 29RKSS which is a close cousin to the 27RK, so it may be possible to do what you want to.

I would start by pulling the vent fan trim in the bathroom and see if you can see in the ceiling toward the bedroom. We could on ours and found that there wasn't anything in the way. I even measured the distance to the trusses from the bedroom wall, so I knew where to cut the hole.
Just curious. Your reply caught my eye. Are you saying that there was no insulation of any kind to block your view? Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Just curious. Your reply caught my eye. Are you saying that there was no insulation of any kind to block your view? Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks.
There was insulation in the ceiling, but there was enough space above it that you see between it and the roof. Having said that, some RV's have solid insulation between the ceiling and roof, so you couldn't see anything in there.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There was insulation in the ceiling, but there was enough space above it that you see between it and the roof. Having said that, some RV's have solid insulation between the ceiling and roof, so you couldn't see anything in there.
Thanks for the info. Sorry I missed the previous replies, so my question was unnecessary.

Have fun!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, ceiling, roo, salem, vent