Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #1

Screws coming out around frame to slideout- help

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to maintain the slideout? When sliding in and out there is decent pressure and the screws to the frame are falling out. Iíll attach a picture. I donít know how to maintain this properly and I fear it is detrimental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	723800B2-7DD1-4E7A-AC5A-9A32A632678B.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	292788   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E395DB8-73DB-458D-9C7C-26F1CE99CC53.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	292789  
Cfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #2

Are the slide edges water damaged and no longer able to hold a screw? Does the other side of the slide look the same?
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #3

I do not believe there is water damage.
It seems like a pressure thing.
I noticed they get pressure and move out when I move the slide in and out.
I put thread lock on some of them and it seems to hold.
On one screw the top popped off and the rest of the screw is still in there.
I could take it in to an rv repair center but Iím not sure what I am up against.
Just trying to see if anyone has dealt with this. I love the camper but have a new baby and I want to make sure itís in good shape and Iím not doing anything to make it worse.
My friend thought if was from driving and vibrations.
I plan to seal it but not sure if I should take it in before I do that to make sure Iím fixing it properly.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #4

The other side is the same. I could take better pictures.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #5

Looks like me the side seal screws are loose. Just retighten them.

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraRNT View Post
Looks like me the side seal screws are loose. Just retighten them.
I agree. I find it necessary, from time to time, to go around tightening screws, inside and outside. I think vibration while traveling, frame twisting, and turning move the frame a bit, and the heating and cooling of the same will loosen screws. I keep a square drive tool on the trailer just for those square drive screws. If the screw doesn't tighten, I remove the screw, dip a round toothpick in glue and put the toothpick in the hole, then put the screw back in the hole. Any remaining toothpick sticking out, I break off.

I also keep up with caulking the various areas around windows and doors and other places, thus removing and replacing caulking as necessary. Please do not squirt caulking on top of the existing caulking. I will just look like crap and likely won't resolve any issues.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #7

What kind of glue do you dip toothpicks in?
I was going to get a larger size screw as the ones in there are just stripped and not holding anything.
I was going to put some gorilla glue in there before putting the larger screw in.
Then yes, was planning to re- caulk.

Is there any other maintenance anyone would suggest on the side out? I was reading to condition the seals? What about the gear?
Old 09-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoss View Post
What kind of glue do you dip toothpicks in?
I was going to get a larger size screw as the ones in there are just stripped and not holding anything.
I was going to put some gorilla glue in there before putting the larger screw in.
Then yes, was planning to re- caulk.

Is there any other maintenance anyone would suggest on the side out? I was reading to condition the seals? What about the gear?
I use Tightbond II. As a woodworker and furniture builder, I'm not impressed with Gorilla glue products.

303 is the number of the spray silicone I use for the rubber around the slide-out. Most automotive products designed to protect from UV rays etc. seem to work about as well. Some say don't use petroleum-based products on rubber.

As to the gears and moving parts of the slide-out, download the particular product manual and follow their recommendations. Do a GOOGLE search for the brand and model.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, ram, slide, slideout