Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #1

Seal hole in floor into underbelly?

My Mini-Lite has a large hole hidden in the floor in the power center area where all of the wiring goes out under the floor. It's 3 or 4 inches in diameter and not closed off in any way. The trailer has an underbelly cover so it's not directly exposed to outdoor conditions.

Since Rockwood seems to have gone to some lengths to seal potential air leakage, it seems to me that not sealing this off may have been intentional, perhaps to allow warm air into that space to mitigate freezing?

I'm wondering whether I'm better off sealing it off with some spray foam, or leaving it open. Opinions?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

My Microlite has the same hole. Instead of sealing it off I used some aluminum HVAC tape and sealed all the edges of the plastic belly cover. That seals off all the edge leakage which prevents as much draft as possible and also keeps out the road splash and all the dirt that comes with it.

Heat, as a rule doesn't migrate down naturally and there are no heat ducts directed into this area. Sealing off the belly cover does have the effect of creating more insulation under the floor. I just figured there was no real need to do anything with the hole and it's come in handy a couple times when running new wires.

For cold weather I rely on my tank heaters and so far they've worked great in sub freezing weather.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, seal, underbelly