Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #41
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
Latest response from Docor: "Some installers will tool the lap sealant so it lays platter along the edge that is what they did here and the is what is peeling"
So... have you determined if this is actually what is going on in your case?

I would think a close inspection of the affected area would tell you whether the roof membrane is cracking or whether a thin edge of exposed sealant is lifting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #42

I had a feeling that the installation might have including a thin "troweling on" of a SEALANT ON THE SIDE OVER THE MEMBRANE? Then again, seems like a strange way FOR FR TO DO IT - rather than just putting down a NEAT BEAD of DICOR right above the molding?? Anyone know who knows a better way or a way in which me the relatively new user has a claim/remedy - OTHER than my DIY solution - which is always an option. ;-)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #43

Looks like the membrane extended down past the termination bar as well as under the gutter before it was then cut off. You can see the membrane very briefly between the two. I do not see any Dicor sealant anywhere around the top of either the bar or the gutter. Seems like it MUST be a deterioration of the top layer of the EPDM membrane. No other explanation makes any sense.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #44

My response to their response below. What SEAL are you referring to??? There is NO evidence of a SEAL ?? I will also be checking to see if it is actually EPDM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 01:58:17 PM CST, Jason Dreier <jdreier@forestriverinc.com> wrote:

I spoke to Tony, back then we used the DFII. Regardless there is no coverage from FR or Dicor as the is a seal maintenance issue. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #45

I went back up to the camper and laid on the roof and inspected the side with my fingers. I found that it is not the Dicor TPO that is flaking but rather the FR glue (or some kind of a fine caulk) that sits adjacent to and above the termination bar that is flaking off. So, that would put the onus on me for a DIY project - as are well described by posts above. Thank you !
Old 11-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #46

Quote:
I went back up to the camper and laid on the roof and inspected the side with my fingers. I found that it is not the Dicor TPO that is flaking but rather the FR glue (or some kind of a fine caulk) that sits adjacent to and above the termination bar that is flaking off. So, that would put the onus on me for a DIY project - as are well described by posts above. Thank you !

That's what I thought was happening. The sealant has dried & is starting to shrink. It's normal. Although it looks like it still is sealing ok where the sealant is thicker (corner of roof material & termination strip). Peel/clean off the old sealant and reapply with a good quality sealer made for RV's.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #47

There is a CLEAR message here for newly purchased campers: Regularly Check the sealant on the sides of your camper right above the membrane Side Termination Bar!!
Old 11-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #48
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
There is a CLEAR message here for newly purchased campers: Regularly Check the sealant on the sides of your camper right above the membrane Side Termination Bar!!
Most all manufacturers recommend doing this (checking sealant) twice a year. Its in our manual, reiterated by our dealer and mentioned in just about every publication and forum I've read.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Most all manufacturers recommend doing this (checking sealant) twice a year. Its in our manual, reiterated by our dealer and mentioned in just about every publication and forum I've read.
I get that, but the warnings are way TOO general. I wanted all to know that the sealant above the termination bar is a prime target to be checked. It is very easy to see and check the white caulking applied all over most of the other areas of the camper!!

Tags
warranty