Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

should I cover my airconditioner?

I have had a number of pop-up campers over the years and, for those that had a roof air conditioner, I've always put a cover on the A/C as part of the winterization process. I live outside of Denver and the camper sits next to my garage so it is exposed to high winds, intense sun, and inches of snow. The covers I've purchased rarely survive half a winter. The sun makes them brittle and the wind tears them along the resulting cracks.

So, I wonder. Is there really any value in having a cover? One thing a cover does do is extend the time it takes before water around the A/C evaporates - making me wonder if it does more damage than it prevents.

Thoughts?

Ken
khackbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

I can only go by my experience. My first TT with an A/C unit was a 1995 Terry. NEVER put a cover on it and when I sold it 22 years later the A/C unit still worked perfectly.

Living in the Pacific NW, it was exposed to lots of rain, sometimes snow, and from time to time I had to wash the cover to get the normal grime from our atmosphere off it but other than that, no issues. Never even had to replace any capacitors.

From time to time I had some Yellow Jackets build a nest inside but a squirt of Wasp and Hornet killer took care of the immediate issue and seemed to prevent recurrence for a couple years.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #3

I covered my A/C when I had my Class "C", and have not with my current trailer. Both spent a number of years in the SoCal area, and I have not really seen any difference.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover