Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 AM   #21

has anyone tried Rain X on painted or plastic surfaces, seems like on glass the bugs wont stick, only my thought before I try
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
OT. Gosh I heard Red Green (Steve Smith), on a radio show last week. He was promoting his 2019 Tour. I never new he had two voices until that radio show.

"If the women don't find you handsome let 'em at least find you handy"

"If it ain't broke you're not tryin' "

"the handyman's secret weapon - duct tape.

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess"

His stand-up comedy is great--Daughter and SIL gave us tickets to his Buffalo, NY show several years ago. I miss his TV show--DW and I had a Red Green party at our house when his show went off the air. Some of the invitees had never seen it--some loved it and some wondered what we could possibly see in it! I've added an item to the "handyman's secret weapon" list--zip ties!

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I get swirls marks when I use the "quick" wax variety and\or use certain "micro-fiber" towels to apply and\or remove.
Not all microfiber towels are created equally. I like the ones by "chemical guys", I bought them online, good price and great quality. When you launder them, NEVER USE FABRIC SOFTENER!!!!

And I just noticed this is my 1,000th post!!! Whoohoooo! Wow, I spend way to much time here.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #24

Experimentation Continues

Thanks for the many responses.

I'm almost through "polishing off" a tin of Carnauba paste wax while cleaning the TT this time--still have the driver's side and nose to finish. I cleaned the roof first.

Tentative conclusions:
1. I think I may have been using too much wax on the nose last time.
2. I've had great success removing bugs and black streaks easily with Krud Kutter Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser Stain Remover--I spray it on the surface, wait a minute, then wash the surface thoroughly with Dial dishwashing soap afterwards.
3. DW won a bucket of Car Wash products at a library fundraiser. It included an Armorall Wash & Wax product--I'll try that next time around.
4. If I return to a paste wax, an orbital polisher is in my future. Everyone should have one, right?

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Dude, go to spray on polymer wax. You'll never look back. Also, be careful what kind of soap you use, they will strip all the wax off you worked so hard to put on. I use Dawn dishwashing soap to strip off old wax and start from scratch, which is what you want to do before trying to apply any of those polymer waxes. My experience is with waxing Corvettes though. I have not tried to do an RV yet.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #26

I use Aero Cosmetics Wash and Wax, it is waterless and works on just about anything!!!
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
has anyone tried Rain X on painted or plastic surfaces, seems like on glass the bugs wont stick, only my thought before I try

rain x states do not get on painted surfaces .Great for windows not for paint or most plastics
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #28

Twice a year I wash with Dawn, use clay bar kit to remove small environmental contaminants, then apply a polymer sealant. I prefer Rejex.
Looks great and bugs etc. wash off easier. In between wash with water
WyomingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #29

I use Rejex once a year (apply liberally). I wash with dawn (at least the front) after every trip. Rejex is great, even the love bugs don't eat into it.

I have a neighbor, who works in a body shop. He said to never use wax as it actually dries out fiberglass. Don't know if it is true or not, but he suggested that I always use polymer instead. Rejex works, so to me it doesn't matter.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
I found this product about a year ago - Wash Wax All - by Aero Cosmetics. It is designed to use on aircraft, automobiles, boats and RVs. It is easy to apply on pretty much any surface and has UV protection. It leaves a smooth, clean surface that shines and is resistant to dirt, bugs and such. Wipe on, wipe off. After initial tests on the end-cap of my rig, I started using it on the front of my truck and now I use it pretty much everywhere. Really nice. Highly recommended. Here's a link;

https://washwax.com/collections/wash...l-cleaner-32oz
Thnx for this lead...might try it. Watched the video and they too noted that we should never use Fab Softner on the micro-fiber towels! Does THAT cause the swirlies? One of the other members in this thread also mentioned that. My DW grabs my towels for the house whenever I bring new ones in...even if I hide them...she loves them. And yeah, she softened them all, so I have to start over again. Otherwise they're the best invention since toilet paper? Like you, once I have everything waxed overall, I tend to concentrate on the front ends(that need to slice thru the dense air and bugs) of my car's and RV with the waxes...esp. before trips. Gotta lower the work load somehow at my age...
PixelBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Microfiber will be ruined by fabric softener. The stuff that makes your clothes so nice and soft clogs up the fibers, and will leave a residue when you go to use them. It inhibits the absorbent properties as well. I put my towels aside after use, and when I have enough, do a small load in the washer, NO FABRIC SOFTENER!
Old 03-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Microfiber will be ruined by fabric softener. The stuff that makes your clothes so nice and soft clogs up the fibers, and will leave a residue when you go to use them. It inhibits the absorbent properties as well. I put my towels aside after use, and when I have enough, do a small load in the washer, NO FABRIC SOFTENER!
So the best way to wash them is: cold water, clear soap and then no heat in the dryer. Got that from several detailers. They come out great!!!
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #33

I just use a wash and wax with a non scratch brush attached to an extendable pole. I will usually start with a wash and rinse to the front. Then the same for a side . Then the front again. Then the other side Then the front again. Then the rear. Then I treat all the windows with Rain Shield. I live in Florida. We always have bugs! Some are smaller, like Lovebugs. Others are bigger, like Lobber grasshoppers. They don't stick even after a 3 day baking in the Florida sun. What do I use? TURTLE WAX !
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #34

If you can afford it get it ceramic coated. It's $$$ but it last 5 years or so. I had our toy hauler done. 28ft, was $1900.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:11 AM   #35

Protect All for me. Has UV inhibitors. Use it on my Indian motorcycle also. Easy on and off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&tag=lo02f-20
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
If you can afford it get it ceramic coated. It's $$$ but it last 5 years or so. I had our toy hauler done. 28ft, was $1900.
Where does one get ceramic coating? Through a dealer or a from a body shop? I've got the glass-coating on my RAM and it's amazingly protective.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #37

Should I wax the front of my trailer

I use Dualpolymer waterless wash. No streaks and easy to use even in a campground where washing is not allowed.
Dualpolymer.com use code Krazy for a 20% discount.
Ladycel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #38

Our last trailer was al fiberglass. I used McGuires marine wax with good success and it kept it looking nice all year.

Our new trailer is a 2016 Forest River Wildwood, 253RLXL. The front is aluminum and the paint is really thin and really washes off with a mild detergent and soft brush. I'm thinking about using Lacquer Thinner and removing the paint and just keeping it bright aluminum.

Any thoughts or comments?

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, wax