Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Should I wax the front of my trailer?

I have a 2015 Rockwood 2604ws that has a plastic (fiberglass?) front end. I waxed it early last year, but was disappointed to see swirly polishing marks show up in bright sunlight. When washed this week to remove dirt/grime/bugs from our recent trip to Georgia, it cleaned up very well and water beads up nicely on it. It is the older, bright white color that was used on the Rockwoods.

Is it recommended to wax the front anyway, or am I just as well off washing it well after a trip?

I do wax the sides and back of the trailer to help prevent black streaks and make it easier to wash.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm thinking maybe last year you used too much wax...

Wax it again, but use less wax and smaller patches at a time...

Makes it easier to buff out the swirls.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #3

I use Wash and Wax from Camco.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Mfg-40493-Rv-Wash-Wax-32-Oz/46476936?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13= 1443&adid=22222222227034439739&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl 3=90169469928&wl4=aud-482018033502la-126784989888&wl5=9015733&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=46476936&wl13=1443&veh= sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUjRJJyd9fRGA9Bu2 FofuXLUWvVDUBsd6ZgOUZGzfJZ8i0z2AK8xp2BoC7cgQAvD_Bw E

It's a simple one step in a bucket, add water, soft bristle brush, rinse and let dry. Works on the awning top and bottom side, the roof and camper. No buffing, rubbing, just a good scrub to clean and it beads water and makes cleaning bugs after a trip very easy.

I use it twice a year.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #4

A coat of wax seems to help when it's time to wash the bugs off.

As for "swirly marks", I bought a small orbital polisher several years ago that I use for polishing the wax after applying it by hand. It's the size of an electric palm sander and when I'm done polishing my arm isn't as tired.

A tip for using one of these, start with several "bonnets" and change whenever they start getting a buildup of wax residue. After the job's done just toss them in the washer along with the work jeans and shop towels.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Using the spray wax, like Maguire's Quick Wax, buffed off with microfiber towels, will provide excellent results without ANY swirl marks. No buffer needed.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #6

Many years ago when I used to do some automotive painting, I asked my PPG rep what was the best wax. He told me the best wax is no wax and just keep it clean. He said keeping the paint clean is way better than any wax.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Many years ago when I used to do some automotive painting, I asked my PPG rep what was the best wax. He told me the best wax is no wax and just keep it clean. He said keeping the paint clean is way better than any wax.
Most of my trailer isn't painted, it's mostly gel-coat.

Today, unless you have an old can of Simoniz Car Wax there isn't much "wax" in Car wax products. Mostly silicones and extra super fine abrasives that help remove oxidized paint from the surface.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

These new polymer waxes apply so much easier than traditional 'wax', I really love them. I used to be part of the old school 'has to be caranuba paste wax'. Things changed.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Most of my trailer isn't painted, it's mostly gel-coat.
As is mine...and my boat. I don't wax either of them. I just keep them clean.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Dr Travel

The gang at Rockwood will tell you the plastic end caps are not designed or intended to be waxed. I wax mine, and all that work does not make much difference I have found. Bugs are easy to get off with the right cleaner, and the plastic stays looking good for a long time. I'd avoid using any kind of a buffer tool - that plastic is soft and easily ruined. Was told that they are easy to paint and designed for it; many places can do it if you own your rig long enough and want it done.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I use Wash and Wax from Camco.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Mfg...BoC7cgQAvD_BwE

It's a simple one step in a bucket, add water, soft bristle brush, rinse and let dry. Works on the awning top and bottom side, the roof and camper. No buffing, rubbing, just a good scrub to clean and it beads water and makes cleaning bugs after a trip very easy.

I use it twice a year.
Couldn't use that with most water as it would leave spots which are very hard to get off . only way around that is dry it off . when i wash i use a all in one also but with out drying it will leave spots
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #12

I am very particular about the look of my RV. I am no expert on the chemistry of paint or any other finish, but I firmly believe that over time the sun will destroy any RV finish. How many RVs have we seen that are terribly faded? My last RV spent most of the summer back at the manufacturer's location, so I did not get to wax it. When it was returned to me, the cap was severely faded. So, I make sure that there is always a good coat of wax between my RV and the elements.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

WAX it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
I have a 2015 Rockwood 2604ws that has a plastic (fiberglass?) front end. I waxed it early last year, but was disappointed to see swirly polishing marks show up in bright sunlight. When washed this week to remove dirt/grime/bugs from our recent trip to Georgia, it cleaned up very well and water beads up nicely on it. It is the older, bright white color that was used on the Rockwoods.

Is it recommended to wax the front anyway, or am I just as well off washing it well after a trip?

I do wax the sides and back of the trailer to help prevent black streaks and make it easier to wash.
Say...ANYBODY who remembers and likes RED GREEN is my kind of person. He is missed. Re the waxing, I would continue to do that. It lessens the air resistance and slightly improves your mpg for sure. Less bug juice to a degree except the biggies down in Fl. or out West, but it helps with cleanup. I would use a good paste wax (I know, I know...) likes Mothers Gold or Meguires. I get swirls marks when I use the "quick" wax variety and\or use certain "micro-fiber" towels to apply and\or remove... If you use the later variety of spray wax insure you carefully read the directions(sun\no sun, drying time?).

I find the only way to stop those perfunctory black streaks, btw, and hate to say this is by cleaning and treating your roof with a good quality solution such as Pro-Tect All products, or the like. Costs a bit but does a great job. Black streaks tend to still stain waxed surfaces, sooner or later so better get it at the source first. Oh, and I've heard that waxing your decals tends to dry them out prematurely and cause curl. Better to use ProTect All on those for the UV benefits after you wax around them...be safe on that roof!
PixelBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
Aging Junior Member

I found this product about a year ago - Wash Wax All - by Aero Cosmetics. It is designed to use on aircraft, automobiles, boats and RVs. It is easy to apply on pretty much any surface and has UV protection. It leaves a smooth, clean surface that shines and is resistant to dirt, bugs and such. Wipe on, wipe off. After initial tests on the end-cap of my rig, I started using it on the front of my truck and now I use it pretty much everywhere. Really nice. Highly recommended. Here's a link;

https://washwax.com/collections/wash...l-cleaner-32oz
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

A good wax or other coating makes cleaning off the bugs, especially the love-bugs going to Florida.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelBum View Post
Say...ANYBODY who remembers and likes RED GREEN is my kind of person.
OT. Gosh I heard Red Green (Steve Smith), on a radio show last week. He was promoting his 2019 Tour. I never new he had two voices until that radio show.

"If the women don't find you handsome let 'em at least find you handy"

"If it ain't broke you're not tryin' "

"the handyman's secret weapon - duct tape.

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess"

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #17

Our Crusader Lite 5th is pushing 4 years old and has never been waxed. I washed it a week ago because of all of the pollen off of our oaks. I use hot water and a car wash with wax in it that I purchase at Walmart. The fiver shines like it is new. I do keep it under a metal shed that sits under two giant oak trees, so the sun never hits it while sitting.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #18

i would definitely wax the entire unit. here are a couple of guides to consider.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/wash-wax-and-detail-the-rv/

https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/blogs...ng-maintenance

treat it like you vehicle...just my opinion. I built million dollar yachts many moons ago, they all got wax on the gelcoat, and bottom kote on the hull beneath the waterline.

the gel on the rv is no different, unless they are using acrylic, and i have not heard that. Waxing helps clean up easy, prevents staining, and there is some UV protection in some synthetic waxes.

collinite 845 is cheap, easy to apply, and durable - although many options exist.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #19

Rinse then pre wash with S100 in a spray bottle,
keep moist with a light water spray for 5 mins, then brush (bug patrol),
Wash with blue correl or any bulk car wash in warm water bucket,
Mr. Clean eraser for any black streaks,
let dry then Protectall with micro fiber cloths instead of wax.
All same same for metal, fiberglass, and plastic.
More than you asked for Im sure....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
Erinn

Rockfossilman - I got this "Gel Gloss Wash & Wax" stuff at Amazon, based on a recommendation from somewhere (can't remember right now) & OMG, this stuff is AMAZING! $23, but a gallon will last a very l-o-n-g time. They state worse thing u can do, is 2 use too much - That said, I put ~2 oz in a bucket of hot water. We now use it on ALL of our vehicles as well as our boat, ATVs, etc; it kicks ***!!
amazon.com/gp/product/B0027M3A1U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, wax