Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #1

Sidewall Separating from bottom Frame

I have a 2022 Salem FSX 190RTX and my sidewall is starting to separate from (what I think) is the lower frame. Attached are pictures. I want to so show push the bottom frame bar back against sidewall and re-seal. The weather will be changing soon and the rain water will run into the gaps. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_075015.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	278805   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_074936.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	278806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_074932.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	278807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_074906.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	278808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_074914.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	278809  

11 Nights in California so far.

LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #2

LilHorse,
Looks like the metal strip is bottom "L" shaped molding covering the bottom edge of the siding, along with the vinyl wheel well trim. If the sidewall is separating, working up vertically but starting at the very bottom, that is the same thing I am currently working on with a 2007 F.R. Sunseeker. The bottom aluminum molding is an extruded aluminum L shaped piece which is used on most of the exterior corners, both vertical and horizontal. One side is painted, smooth, for appearance while the other leg is a channel for attachment screws and accepts a flexible vinyl continuous screw covering strip which fits into grooves in the molding. The vinyl strip DOES NOT keep water out.

In my case, this L strip is used along the entire length of the bottom of the wall, screwed to the bottom side of an aluminum framing member which supports the bottom of the wall. Unfortunately, the way FR did it on the Sunseeker there was absolutely no water proofing or sealant between the aluminum strip and the framing member. This allows water, particularly when driving on wet roads in rainstorms, to get in between the framing member and the molding where it can go directly to the bottom of the sidewall structure. The Sunseeker's sidewall construction, which I assume is very similar, if not exactly like most fiberglassed sidewall RVs, is thin, like 3-4 MM Luan plywood glued to the aluminum frame (probably vacuum bonded), with about 3 MM (1/8"+/-) fiberglass (Filon?) bonded to the Luan plywood. Also unfortunately, it seems the Luan plywood manufacturers DO NOT use exterior rated (Resistant to intermittent moisture, particularly not continuous) glue in the plywood.

Moisture, sometimes obviously significant amounts of water, gets into the unprotected framing/molding seam and gets to the bottom edge of the siding, where the Luan plywood soaks the water up. It will work its way up into the plywood, where it is kind of trapped, and will eventually cause the plywood to separate, and then you have sidewall delamination. The Filon (or fiberglass) can also separate from the Luan plywood.

The Sunseeker I'm working on had delam almost the entire length of the bottom of the right side wall, the side subject to more rain and sunshine, so more expansion/contraction cycles and just more water getting in. This RV sat for six years in sun and rain in Oregon, where we get plenty of rain. Consequently I removed all the cargo doors, all side, vertical and horizontal, moldings and went to work injecting two-part epoxy up into the delaminated portions then clamping them together. In areas where there is a cargo door slightly above the bottom of the wall it seems, separation, to be worse, no doubt on account of water getting in both from below and above around the door. The waterproofing/water sealing from factory was dismal, just about non-existent. Many of the screws were so rusted they had no threads left and pulled out with pliers. Thank goodness the frame is aluminum so my new stainless steel screws would still grab in the framing. I will attempt to post some pics of some of my work on this coach, but you can also search out some good articles on sidewall delamination on this forum.

It appears your bottom molding is bent outward, but hard to tell. In my case, I removed the bottom molding, injected epoxy, and sometimes other type adhesive into the separated wall layers, clamped until 'set', then re-installed the molding with butyl strip caulking between it and bottom framing member, as well as caulking the upper edge of the outside of the molding. There's more details but you can PM me if you'd like more information. Good success with your project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3660.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	278819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3652.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	278820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3672.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	278821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3671.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	278822  
Robusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #3

Second Picture

The second photo is from underneath, look left to right, that would be looking 'up', with grey water tank, lower framing member to right, with L molding removed. Thin aluminum was placed on the inside surface of the wall coming down, bent over the framing member and stapled to the aluminum frame member. Water was getting in everywhere, especially the front vertical corner molding where coach body just out from vehicle body, along the lower edges of the cab overhang, the gas refrigerator inlet/exhaust port, 120 volt outlet, etc. If the wall structure was still 'sound', I would pull the screws (mostly rusted), seal caulk new stainless steel screws in when reattaching trim.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #4

Your problem is way bigger than mine. I'm trying to catch mine before it gets to that stage. I see where it looks like you are clamping the rail to your sidewall. I am looking for help in repairing my trailer.
What did you use to glue your pieces together and are you going to use Proflex after gluing as a sealant?
I also should still be under warranty, but will double check tomorrow.
Goodluck on your project. I don't know if I could do it.

11 Nights in California so far.

LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #5

Yup, probably a bigger problem than yours!

I injected glue up into the sidewall but had taken the rail (bottom extruded trim piece) off so just had boards spreading the clamping pressure. I sent a lengthy reply to your PM and there mentioned I had used 2-part epoxy in some cases, Gorilla glue in some cases, and DAP Dynaflex Ultra where the delam had only gone up about 3-4".

I reinstalled the bottom rail (L molding) with two strips of monkey poop (butyl flat strip caulking---comes in rolls) and used stainless steel screws in lieu of the zinc plated factory fasteners.

The Proflex (don't know which one you mean exactly---they have several) should work also if you can get it into the delam areas. However, if you're still on warranty I would suggest you do nothing until after you've contacted your dealer about a remedy. Good success.

Tags
frame, ram