Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

Slide out seal question on 04 Sunseeker

Hi all,

I have a prob with a water leak on the floor near the exterior corner bathroom closest to the dining area. I checked the slide out floor from outside and inside, and it looks fine. I also don't see any plumbing leaks in the bathroom.

My slide seals look ok, although I am unsure if they are being compressed fully when the slide is in and I cannot see the top seal above the slide well as it is covered by the awning.

My main question is the bottom area of the slide. I see plastic molding there but not really a "seal" like the other three seals. Is there supposed to be a seal on the bottom of the slide too? Should I install one?

Also, there are seals on the inside of the slide around the top and sides too. These do not even come close to touching the slide, whether its in or out. We routinely put blankets on top of the slide (inside) to keep cold air out during the winter. The inside slide areas where these seals are, do not look like they are getting wet. So I don't suspect a leak there although these seals are not doing their jobs obviously.

Any advice on the leak and.or the seals (inside and outside)? I'm going to replace all of them probably, but I still am not certain that the leak I see near the bathroom floor is from a bad seal. I have caulked around the sewer vent pipe on the roof in case water was coming in there. There are no leaks under the bathroom sink. The slide floor is fine as well.
Rjpetr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
clr

My unit is not a Cedar Creek, but I do have a bottom slide seal on all of the slides, in fact I have never seen a slide that does not have a bottom seal. I would think that your bottom slide seal must of been removed at some time or another. Some times when a tire blows it will take out the bottom slide seal..
When the slide is out, the inside seal should be somewhat compressed by the slide in order to seal out the air. If yours is not the slide is not going out far enough I would assume, this can be adjusted to seal properly.
If both side seals are being compressed at the top when the slide is in, the top can be assumed to also be sealed since the slide is a square box. If you want to know for sure you can reach under the top awning and feel if the seal is compressed, or you can purchase a cheap inspection type camera and have a look see.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

2006 Sunseeker 2860DS leak fixed

Our Sunseeker is 2 years newer than yours. 2 slides. I noticed wet carpeting below the rear slide last spring and traced it to the slide out roof horizontal surface, which is caulked at the factory but unless you remove the topper can not be maintained.

My trouble shooting included resealing all the vertical seams on the sides and that didn't seam to help. I kept noticing that if I ran my fingers along the outside bottom of the slide out room that my fingers came away wet even hours after a rain when everything else was dry.

My toppers had never been replaced and although the seams underneath the topper looked ok by looking back to front and front to back, I thought it made sense that they needed to be redone. Also, there is a rubber sweep on the top of the slide out that also had not been caulked since the factory and I thought that might need to be resealed as well.

I ordered a new rear slide topper and my son helped me remove the topper. Clean the rubber seal up there and concentrate on where it attaches to the side wall. This area which runs the length of the slide out room is critical to maintaining water integrity. If your gutters spill way drips even if the slide out room is closed any water will flow into the slide out room wall and make its way down to the rv floor - eventually.

Also, clean the horizontal slide out roof seams and recaulk them too. Let all the caulk dry to past being tacky - won't take more than a couple of hours, and install your new slide out fabric.

Another note. On your vertical rubber sweeps on the slide out room don't forget to reseal the area between the rubber sweeps and the rv wall where they are attached.

Final note. Later last season I noticed a minor leak in the living room slide which had manifested itself as a water stain inside the overhead cabinets.
It was the same problem - either the rubber seal on top of the slide out where it attaches to the rv wall or the seams on the horizontal surface of the slide out box. I ordered a new slide out topper and make the same resealing maintenance as I did on the rear slide.

Remember, these seals and areas have not been touched since your rv was built. My slide toppers were the originals and ready to be replaced anyway.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide, slide out, sunseeker