Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Slide Out Seals Sticking

Anyone know how to prevent your slide out seals from melting and sticking?
brucec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Just Tryin' to Help

Have you ever used this?

https://www.campingworld.com/slide-o...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

And waxed the outside walls of the slide?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021224_1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	262874  
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1050
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #3

My slide manufacturer recommends spraying the seals with a silicone spray.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

Also, if you have smooth sides on the slide room, it really helps to keep them waxed.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
Anyone know how to prevent your slide out seals from melting and sticking?
If your seals are melting I'd figure out a way to keep them from being exposed to that kind of heat.

If they are sticking and looks as if they have melted I'd take a good look at the side of the slide. On mine there is an area next to the outer trim flange where it looks like the seal may have melted but it's merely where the person who installed the sealer/adhesive for the flange was careless and some of it extended out onto the side of the slide.

When closed the rubber seal would stick to the exposed sealer and eventually left a black one where small particles of the seal stuck. Some serious work with a plastic scraper and some "Goof Off" removed the excess sealer. Then applied some seal spray like pictured earlier and no more issues.

Another option is to take a cue from the tire industry. Back when tires were "Tube Type" regular talcum powder was used to keep the tube from sticking to the inside of the tire so it could be removed for repair if necessary.

Today's talcum powder sold in retail stores is really cornstarch which can be more like a glue so don't use that. Amazon (and perhaps bicycle shops) sells Tire Talc which is pure talcum powder. Apply some to a rag and wipe the surfaces of the seal that slide on the side of the trailer. This will help keep them from sticking, even in high heat.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #6

Thanks

Thanks Mike my seals the u shaped one that , slides on to a track were melted. Like tar very sticky the rubber seal is almost gone the first foot at the top. I had this happen to the living room slide out also. This bedroom one caused me damage though separated the bed frame even more. I have another post in the slide our area.
My slide out would go out at the bottom but not the top, because the bed frame ripped apart in four places.
I have completely rebuilt the bed frame today and not the slide out goes in and out right again. At first try bottom went out not the top. But there was not enough weight on the bed frame. After adding the mattress platform back it now is working good. Once me and the DW put the king size mattress back on will be more weight and it will work better yet.
Slide out seals I guess are more China junk, I will start to wipe them down with silicone spray. As said this is our 3rd 5th and we have had this issue before with the seal disintegration or melting.Have pictures but to hard to add them to this forum.
Not sure why they have images set the way they do I have had five Vbulletin forums and that is what this is. All of mine biggest was the CedarCreek RV Club. And you could add images easily.
brucec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #7

I talked to my RV repair expert about seals that melt and get gooey like that. He said certain seal compositions degrade in the sun and that the white colored slide seals are even worse about degrading than the black. He said there is really nothing you can do about it. Seal conditioners may slow the process, but if you have a slide seal of that cheap composition, it will degrade in the sun. And he did not how to tell the difference, so he just buys from a proven distributor.
I asked as my slide seals were fine at 8 years old with no conditioner ever being used, while my buddy's only lasted 3 before they got gooey.
While watching others that condition their slide seals religiously, and compare to my never conditioned seals, the only difference I see is that it makes my friends feel better and gives them something to do to keep them out of trouble
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide, slide out