Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 80
Slide roof not sealed properly?

Have a 2022 Freedom Express 257BHS and the slide roof doesn't look like it's properly sealed. The included images show the slide roof where it meets the outside wall that is against the seals when it's closed. The gap between the roof and the black metal gets larger from right to left (when looking at it from the roof).

To me, this doesn't look like it is in anyway water resistant. Should I make an effort to get the metal closer to the roof and put some eternabond on it or am i too worried about it? I don't recall our previous camper having the slide roof look like that at the outside wall.

If this would make more sense in the slide out section, please move it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide left.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	279734   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide right.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	279735  
__________________
2022 Freedom Express 257BHS
2018 F-150 XLT w/3.5L EcoBoost and Max Trailering Package
KE0OUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
Have a 2022 Freedom Express 257BHS and the slide roof doesn't look like it's properly sealed. The included images show the slide roof where it meets the outside wall that is against the seals when it's closed. The gap between the roof and the black metal gets larger from right to left (when looking at it from the roof).

To me, this doesn't look like it is in anyway water resistant. Should I make an effort to get the metal closer to the roof and put some eternabond on it or am i too worried about it? I don't recall our previous camper having the slide roof look like that at the outside wall.

If this would make more sense in the slide out section, please move it there.


Iím actually having a some what similar issue with our brand new 2022 grand lodge, started getting water leaking in, first on the slide out, found a failure from the factory Iím assuming, caulked it for starters to get by until I can replace it, but then another leak started, dug into that and found the sealant they usedÖ is just **** now, I really donít think it should be this bad since ownership of 5.5 months. Trying to get warranty work done but am getting a run around by the dealershipClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4930.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	280061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	280062
GrandLodge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 7,086
You've both got new rigs that are under warranty. Your first contact should be the dealer. However, if you're not getting any satisfaction, contact Forest River and see if they'll authorize another repair shop or mobile mechanic. They can usually refer you to someone local.

Good luck.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandLodge42 View Post
Iím actually having a some what similar issue with our brand new 2022 grand lodge, started getting water leaking in, first on the slide out, found a failure from the factory Iím assuming, caulked it for starters to get by until I can replace it, but then another leak started, dug into that and found the sealant they usedÖ is just **** now, I really donít think it should be this bad since ownership of 5.5 months. Trying to get warranty work done but am getting a run around by the dealershipAttachment 280061Attachment 280062
Okay that's BS, I don't build trailers for a living, but I do know one thing about a TPO roof, for any ceiling to stick to it properly it has to be primed first. I can tell by the way that sealant / dicor lap sealant did not stick it was not primed. They need to send a check out and rip all the old cut off prime it and put their junk lap sealant back on and make sure it sticks correctly.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Okay that's BS, I don't build trailers for a living, but I do know one thing about a TPO roof, for any ceiling to stick to it properly it has to be primed first. I can tell by the way that sealant / dicor lap sealant did not stick it was not primed. They need to send a check out and rip all the old cut off prime it and put their junk lap sealant back on and make sure it sticks correctly.


So itís not just me being an A hole about this? This was the first leak we noticed on the slide out Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4966.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	280067
GrandLodge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You've both got new rigs that are under warranty. Your first contact should be the dealer. However, if you're not getting any satisfaction, contact Forest River and see if they'll authorize another repair shop or mobile mechanic. They can usually refer you to someone local.



Good luck.


Would you happen to know of any contact information I can try? I checked their website and couldnít find anything. The dealer is telling me they donít have mobile service and they donít have a garage big enough to house the 42í camper for the repair, so they sent me to a mobile service that deals with warranty workÖ as long as he wishes to take on the repair..
GrandLodge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 772
Holy Moly, I thought mine was a POS build. I'm not trading anytime soon.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 467
I had a 2020 Rockwood 2612WS that had a factory recall for this. Took it in and dealer applied the fix, best described as black enternabond tape along that same joint to both slides.
Based on that recall I'd apply enternabond to that joint and make sure wraps over the edge a good 3-4 inches.
Enternabond the duck tape of the RV world.
__________________

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 208
Please excuse my poorly worded rant I posted a few minutes ago. I did the speech to text which didn't come out too good. My point was even the dicor lab sealant needs a primer to be used on the TPO or nothing will stick to TPO.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led, roo, roof, seal, slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.