Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #1

Slide roof not sealed properly?

Have a 2022 Freedom Express 257BHS and the slide roof doesn't look like it's properly sealed. The included images show the slide roof where it meets the outside wall that is against the seals when it's closed. The gap between the roof and the black metal gets larger from right to left (when looking at it from the roof).

To me, this doesn't look like it is in anyway water resistant. Should I make an effort to get the metal closer to the roof and put some eternabond on it or am i too worried about it? I don't recall our previous camper having the slide roof look like that at the outside wall.

If this would make more sense in the slide out section, please move it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide left.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	279734   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide right.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	279735  
Old 10-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
Have a 2022 Freedom Express 257BHS and the slide roof doesn't look like it's properly sealed. The included images show the slide roof where it meets the outside wall that is against the seals when it's closed. The gap between the roof and the black metal gets larger from right to left (when looking at it from the roof).

To me, this doesn't look like it is in anyway water resistant. Should I make an effort to get the metal closer to the roof and put some eternabond on it or am i too worried about it? I don't recall our previous camper having the slide roof look like that at the outside wall.

If this would make more sense in the slide out section, please move it there.

I’m actually having a some what similar issue with our brand new 2022 grand lodge, started getting water leaking in, first on the slide out, found a failure from the factory I’m assuming, caulked it for starters to get by until I can replace it, but then another leak started, dug into that and found the sealant they used… is just **** now, I really don’t think it should be this bad since ownership of 5.5 months. Trying to get warranty work done but am getting a run around by the dealershipClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4930.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	280061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	280062
GrandLodge42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #3

You've both got new rigs that are under warranty. Your first contact should be the dealer. However, if you're not getting any satisfaction, contact Forest River and see if they'll authorize another repair shop or mobile mechanic. They can usually refer you to someone local.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandLodge42 View Post
I’m actually having a some what similar issue with our brand new 2022 grand lodge, started getting water leaking in, first on the slide out, found a failure from the factory I’m assuming, caulked it for starters to get by until I can replace it, but then another leak started, dug into that and found the sealant they used… is just **** now, I really don’t think it should be this bad since ownership of 5.5 months. Trying to get warranty work done but am getting a run around by the dealershipAttachment 280061Attachment 280062
Okay that's BS, I don't build trailers for a living, but I do know one thing about a TPO roof, for any ceiling to stick to it properly it has to be primed first. I can tell by the way that sealant / dicor lap sealant did not stick it was not primed. They need to send a check out and rip all the old cut off prime it and put their junk lap sealant back on and make sure it sticks correctly.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Okay that's BS, I don't build trailers for a living, but I do know one thing about a TPO roof, for any ceiling to stick to it properly it has to be primed first. I can tell by the way that sealant / dicor lap sealant did not stick it was not primed. They need to send a check out and rip all the old cut off prime it and put their junk lap sealant back on and make sure it sticks correctly.

So it’s not just me being an A hole about this? This was the first leak we noticed on the slide out Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4966.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	280067
Old 10-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You've both got new rigs that are under warranty. Your first contact should be the dealer. However, if you're not getting any satisfaction, contact Forest River and see if they'll authorize another repair shop or mobile mechanic. They can usually refer you to someone local.

Good luck.

Would you happen to know of any contact information I can try? I checked their website and couldn’t find anything. The dealer is telling me they don’t have mobile service and they don’t have a garage big enough to house the 42’ camper for the repair, so they sent me to a mobile service that deals with warranty work… as long as he wishes to take on the repair.. [emoji849]
Old 10-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #7

Holy Moly, I thought mine was a POS build. I'm not trading anytime soon.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #8

I had a 2020 Rockwood 2612WS that had a factory recall for this. Took it in and dealer applied the fix, best described as black enternabond tape along that same joint to both slides.
Based on that recall I'd apply enternabond to that joint and make sure wraps over the edge a good 3-4 inches.
Enternabond the duck tape of the RV world.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:36 PM   #9

Please excuse my poorly worded rant I posted a few minutes ago. I did the speech to text which didn't come out too good. My point was even the dicor lab sealant needs a primer to be used on the TPO or nothing will stick to TPO.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, roo, roof, seal, slide