Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Slit TT’s roof edge on home’sgutter.

Looking for opinions on roof repair. Towed awesome from the dealer ship all the way home and of course my maiden driveway journey didn’t go well. My driveway has a gutter lip on it and pushed me onto the downspout. Please see pics and would appreciate repair opinions. Got some 4” eternabond, cleaner, and primer. Want opinions before my roofer friend and I apply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CDD5320-4895-4602-9AC0-CAEEA4419994.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	220101   Click image for larger version

Name:	62BD80D3-198D-4725-ACD9-80BDFB60C1E1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	220102  
Tboneil24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #2

Personally, I'd call the insurance agent and have the replace the roof. I wouldn't trust a patch for a long period of time.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, you may want to call your insurance co.

It's hard to tell from the photos but it 'looks' to be a used unit (with EDPM rubber roofing) as the roof material and caulking don't appear to be pristine like on a new R/V. You may want to think about replacement anyway if that's the case.

If not, Eternabond tape will cover and seal.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

My BIL did the same sort of thing to his roof edge while parking it for the first time at his house. We had just returned from picking up the unit 900 miles away
He called the insurance, took pics, had the adjuster down. Was told it was his responsibility to prevent any water damage until the insurance decides what to do.
So we took off the retaining rail (holds the roof material to the side of the RV) and put eternabond tape under the rail and over the roof edge. Resealed the rail. Used dicor on the edges of the eternabond.
Now he is thinking the repair is so good he might just pocket the insurance check. We'll see how this turns out
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My BIL did the same sort of thing to his roof edge while parking it for the first time at his house. We had just returned from picking up the unit 900 miles away in Poteau OK.
He called the insurance, took pics, had the adjuster down. Was told it was his responsibility to prevent any water damage until the insurance decides what to do.
So we took off the retaining rail (holds the roof material to the side of the RV) and put eternabond tape under the rail and over the roof edge. Resealed the rail. Used dicor on the edges of the eternabond.
Now he is thinking the repair is so good he might just pocket the insurance check. We'll see how this turns out
I didn’t even think of pulling the rail! Thanks for that. If I damaged the house more, etc I think it would be a no brainer for claim but nothing I can’t fix for $20. And $100 for RV and time. Don’t really wanna make my rates go up but is a small deductible. Hard decision.

Another question, our weather here has been in the 30’s, should I just put a cover on and wait til we have 50’s?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboneil24 View Post
I didn’t even think of pulling the rail! Thanks for that. If I damaged the house more, etc I think it would be a no brainer for claim but nothing I can’t fix for $20. And $100 for RV and time. Don’t really wanna make my rates go up but is a small deductible. Hard decision.

Another question, our weather here has been in the 30’s, should I just put a cover on and wait til we have 50’s?
It says it can be applied down to -20F if you use their primer, but I would at least wait until a bright, sunny day.
And I agree completely with you about the insurance claim
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

USE the Eternabond... warm the roof cover with a hair dryer and the tape slightly before applying... it will be as good as NEW without having insurance claims or dealer inquiries... Lap the Eternabond tape into the gutter. Push down on the tape while applying a little heat using a wallpaper roller or a large socket tool under the palm of your hand. 4 inch wide tape might be a little over-kill. Apply using a step-ladder against the side of the trailer.

Silly to involve insurance and risk higher premiums for such a small tear that you found so quickly.

I certainly would do this fix with Eternabond.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
USE the Eternabond... warm the roof cover with a hair dryer and the tape slightly before applying... it will be as good as NEW without having insurance claims or dealer inquiries... Lap the Eternabond tape into the gutter. Push down on the tape while applying a little heat using a wallpaper roller or a large socket tool under the palm of your hand. 4 inch wide tape might be a little over-kill. I certainly would do this fix with Eternabond.
Thanks you!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I would see how difficult it would be to remove the gutter trim and put the Eternabond under it.

Might be a little difficult to get the Eternabond to seal to the uneven surfaces and small area in the gutter. If you go under the gutter I would apply a thin bead of Dicor along the seam between the gutter and Eternabond.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
MCTroy

Our TV cover ribbed some corners of our roof and a tree limb cut a nasty slice in the top. We had both areas patched with tape etc. Of course the service manager said we should replace the roof. Instead we opted to repair it and he said we could expect about 3 years from the repair. So far so good. Repair now replace when it really needs it. Good luck and I am.gkad you aren't getting upset about an accident that was easy to do.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #11

If you have insurance and plan on keeping rv for awhile, I would change roof out. Back in the day I had a TT and dealer never told me about maintenance and I was green as you could be about rv. Sealing surfaces cracked and leaked water. Insurance wouldn't cover saying there was lack of maintenance. Needles to say at my own dime I had to pretty much gut the bedroom and replace flooring etc.
I did the same thing with a TT and caught a gutter. Looked similar to OP's pics. Went ahead and had dealer replace roof. Later on traded it in for an upgrade TT. If hadn't changed roof, what would it been worth? Just my 2 cents
Old 12-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Sealing surfaces cracked and leaked water. Insurance wouldn't cover saying there was lack of maintenance. Needles to say at my own dime I had to pretty much gut the bedroom and replace flooring etc.
I believe the OP said it was brand new tear he noticed right away, not raining or letting water intrusion in for any time at all... you break roof, you fix roof, replacement of roof opens a can of worms that is not necessary... $50 repair, and takes 30 minutes and lasts 10+ years if you believe Eternabond's website, Vs roof replacement... CRAZY under OP's circumstances...
my Eternabond roof maintenance is now 4+ years old and looks brand new still

My original Eternabond post, where I lapped tape into gutter with no issue...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #13

I'm with rsdata!!!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #14

Slit TT’s roof edge on home’sgutter.

Tape it. Roof replacement through insurance would be expensive. Just try and call local places and get prices, I’m sure they will come in around $8,000 +. You know darn well the insurance is going to get their money back.

I would also see if you could change downspout locationto prevent it happening again.

I would tape over edge not under membrane. No water will get through eternalbond if applied right.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof